Working on Alignment with Driver

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been struggling as of late with the Driver and today I had a good friend take a look at me at the range. To give you some context, I have always had problems with hooking or pulling the driver.
My friend took a look at a few of my swings and told me that my shoulders were extremely open to the target (about 30 to 40 yards left of target) and my club face exactly the opposite (30 to 40 yards right of target). No wonder I have been pull-slicing the ball or simply pulling my shots!
The issue that I have now is that it feels extremely strange aligning correctly.
Have any of you battled anything like this? How did you go about rewiring your brain?
Any thoughts are appreciated!

I have been struggling as of late with the Driver and today I had a good friend take a look at me at the range. To give you some context, I have always had problems with hooking or pulling the driver.
My friend took a look at a few of my swings and told me that my shoulders were extremely open to the target (about 30 to 40 yards left of target) and my club face exactly the opposite (30 to 40 yards right of target). No wonder I have been pull-slicing the ball or simply pulling my shots!
The issue that I have now is that it feels extremely strange aligning correctly.
Have any of you battled anything like this? How did you go about rewiring your brain?
Any thoughts are appreciated!

All of us struggle with alignment. Always have a target in mind when on the range and practice with a club or alignment stick or two on the ground. It is easy to visually have someone check your hip/shoulder alignment if you have any doubts or if you are careful, the camera on your smartphone works as well. Good golfers are aware of how important set up is and pay attention to this. Poor golfers rarely practice with alignment aids or any real purpose.

I use to become frustrated because my ball would usually go far right of my intended target. I would tell myself, that wasn't where I was aiming. Then another golfer told me my ball was in fact going where I aimed it. The problem was, I thought I was properly set-up when I actually wasn't. Then I learned something that helped me to hit or come fairly close to where I was aiming. Instead of aiming for a target far away in the distant, I instead began aiming for a target about 18 inches in front of me. If my ball flight travels over the target 18 inches in front of me, then it usually will go to my intended target or at least fairly close. The video I've included shows this method. It works like a charm.

My alignment got a lot better when I realized my shoulders mattered more than my feet.

I try to set my feet to help me with my hips/rotation and set my shoulders to make sure my club path is correct.

Back