Second guessing your gear...

NullNomad

Golf Course Miscreant
Reaction score
Handicap
work
I just wanted to toss this out there to see if I am alone in this, or if this is something that a lot of us struggle with.

My son is getting lessons at GolfTec, so while he is in with his instructor I use the time to hit all the equipment that Golfsmith has to offer. Well, I have had this nagging feeling that something is wrong with my irons. No proof, I hit them well, I just feel as though I am not getting the most out of my game. So here I am in the bay with my 6 iron, Ping i25, as well as a Bridgestone J15DF, Mizuno MP-15, and Nike Vapor Pro. Long story short, I didn't hit the Nike all that well. In fact, very close to how I hit my i25 in comparison to the others. Now the Bridgestone and Mizuno... damn, like butter. So easy to swing, pure impact, great ball flight, and beat my best i25 shots hands down. Now again, I'm not saying I hit my existing irons horribly, but in the bay that afternoon it was clear that the irons I own vs the irons I tried out were not in the same class. With the cost of clubs these days, it's not like I can run off and just chase equipment all day long and now I have that sinking feeling that I might have rushed into the Pings. Anyone else out there lived this dilemma?

(as a sub note, I have learned a ton more about the game, have more availability to try clubs now, as well as my game changing quite a bit for the better. also, I pose this post more of a humorous quip to see if others are in the same boat rather than a lecture about 'just learn to hit what you have' :act-up:)

When did you get the i25s

9months is a long time nowadays . You could just play and live with the i25s. Save your pennies and buy soon. Or, you could try and sell the Pings and buy new.

9months is a long time nowadays . You could just play and live with the i25s. Save your pennies and buy soon. Or, you could try and sell the Pings and buy new.

That is exactly where I am at with it. Coin flip moment. What I am trying not to do is go the other extreme and chase something shiny. Sneaky little hobbitses, wicked tricksy hobbitses and their shiny preciouses...

Yeah if it bothers you that bad, try to sell them and put that toward the purchase of a new set. I feel like I've rushed into equipment purchases in the past, but you can't let it bother you too much. Aren't we always going to be chasing the 'perfect' setup? haha

Welcome to new age of golf clubs....haha

Every manufacturer launches several new sets every year promising more distance, better forgiveness and all that stuff.....as soon as you have the latest and greatest they come out with a new model.

Were you fit for your current clubs?

Im a firm believer that once u lose faith in ur current sticks and 2nd guess them ull never get it out of ur mind. Throw those i25s on the bay. They still fetch alot of cash

Were you fit for your current clubs?

I was fit, but I have also had (still have) lessons on a regular basis and my game has changed. I also play 2-4 times a week, so I a progressing at a pretty good rate.

I was fit, but I have also had (still have) lessons on a regular basis and my game has changed. I also play 2-4 times a week, so I a progressing at a pretty good rate.

were you anything other than standard Length and Lie?

Just asking because what you are hitting in demos is almost always standard L/L.....if your swing has changed that could be a reason you hit the demos better

Good Days = all good
Bad Days = 2nd Guessing

were you anything other than standard Length and Lie?

Just asking because what you are hitting in demos is almost always standard L/L.....if your swing has changed that could be a reason you hit the demos better
That is part of it that I forgot to mention (not enough coffee this morning.) I am set up +.5 in length and 2.25 toe up.

Good Days = all good
Bad Days = 2nd Guessing
I would normally say that but even on good days, it feels like a fight or scramble with my wedges saving me.

Since I am fairly new to game and learn more and more, I found out I need a -1.5 flat. I have regular stock irons that was cut approx 3/4" shorter. As I was fitted online with ping and what they said would happen without properly fitted clubs, I noticed and now. So now I am not happy, 2nd guessing. LOL now my mind is set on Pings and now I will not be happy until I get them. LOL I HATE THIS GAME BUT TOO SMART TO QUIT LOL

have been there on the second guessing part several times. i have both lived with it for awhile then changed and others have been change immediately. with irons i have done that twice. both times i played out the season and then changed when new releases came out. with drivers it has been an immediate change.

second guessing is never a good thing and when new, bright shiny stuff is there it doesn't help. You could trade in the i25s towards new irons or as others suggested try to sell.

if you decide to hold off i would recommend trying to not worry about losing out on something and just game what you have until you are ready to change.

if you decide to hold off i would recommend trying to not worry about losing out on something and just game what you have until you are ready to change.

Realistically this is where I probably will be. Just press on and play the game... and enjoy it. This might also be my competitive side trying to break out, knowing I can achieve more.

You can make it simple and just get some impact tape and sole tape and see if you need your lie adjusted, or if you're consistently finding the center of the clubhead.

If you can further define, getting the most out of my game, it'll be easier to diagnose - you want more forgiveness, more distance?

Hitting the center of the clubhead is the most important part of the game, including mishits. Everything else just comes down to mechanics, and I see you're getting lessons which is great. Not many people realize that importance.

Tape is definitely in my future.

As far as getting the most out of my game? That is hard to say specifically because it is a feeling that is bothering me more than a ball reaction.

Yeah if it bothers you that bad, try to sell them and put that toward the purchase of a new set. I feel like I've rushed into equipment purchases in the past, but you can't let it bother you too much. Aren't we always going to be chasing the 'perfect' setup? haha

I never did that until joining sites like this! I used to play the same set for years now I switch almost yearly haha

I'm guessing they all have different shafts in the clubs you hit. Some shafts are definitively better feel than others, which can contribute you hitting them better just because it gives confidence. If you like tinkering, find the shafts that fit your game rather than finding new sets altogether.

I know they're expensive and new toys can be fun. Just make sure it's what you want (for now!). I try new things (all the time) but usually end up back with my gamers after the honeymoon period is over!

New toys just rule!!! Now that I have that off my chest... I did spend some time on the range with sole tape, my son's 7 iron which is off the shelf Karsten, and my old R7's. My current i25s are the only ones that I was fitted for and it was apparent when I put the tape to the sole. What I found and need to get back into the bay at Goldsmith to verify is that even though I hit my son's and my older clubs well... it was with poor posture. Once I focused on my posture and hand position, my i25's were slamming down range.

So long story short, thank you sluth for suggesting the sole tape and allowing me to find that I had sunk into a lazy posture swing and that appears to be the root of all my 'club hunting'. Hope to get an 18 in later today to put it all to the test on the course.

...but damn shiny new clubs are still calling me :act-up:

Back