Golf Related Exercises

hackernation

One shot at a time
Reaction score
Handicap
What are some golf related exercises that you could do at home with a couple of dumbbells and don't have access to a gym. Currently, I am trying to do more stretching exercises to get more relaxed and loose.

I am not a believer in "sport specific" exercise. I believe anything done in the gym is general. Stuff on the field is specific, essentially practice.

Unfortunately, for me, you're asking how to build a table with no hammer or nails.

You could look up some yoga workouts. I've been contemplating doing this myself so I can gain some flexibility.

I lift weights and use bands to strengthen everything needed for golf. Nothing specific for golf but it does help my swing and stamina.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Here's the Youtube section for Tyler Parsons, the trainer that works with Justin Thomas. He has a number of workout videos where you can use resistance bands or 2 dumbbells. He has a HIIT workout with only a pair of 10 pound dumbbells on there that he posted within the last month.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrEmqGtupCHoCSgWNicILyA/videos

Check out Core Performance golf by Mark Verstagen. Lots of exercises and nutrition program too. I need to find my copy and get back into this routine.

If you google medicine ball workout for the tough guy it will take you to a mens health article about a North Carolina Basketball core workout. 8# medicine ball from walmart is all you need. You can do it at home and its a great core workout. Came accross it while searching golf workouts. Good addition to a workout .

Check out the Joey D book, "Fix your body, fix your swing".

https://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Body-Swing-Revolutionary/dp/0312605625

I highly recommend this book as well. It identifies where your body actually needs more flexibility and strength and gives your exercises to improve those areas.

I also picked up a "fan" swing trainer a month or so ago and really like it for building golf swing strength. It also does a great job of forcing you to sync your upper and lower bodies. You can't swing it fast unless you start with the lower body. There are plenty of different brands available for as little as $20. I bought mine at a local golf store for $50.

psf100_power_swing_fan.gif

Best I've seen/used - need to start up again

https://www.sklz.com/golf-strong-program.html

It has Mark Verstagen with 2 golf pros - Finau and LPGA Swedish pro whose name escapes me ... but she is -21 today.

Joey D is a good starting point.

I'm a big fan of olympic lifting and anything core related for adding power.

My favorites are:
Cleans
Jerks
Snatch
Overhead Squat
Front Squat
Deadlift

The heavier the lift, the more you need to stretch. Huge guys have a hard time getting distance and control because their range of motion isn't great. That being said, I find power lifting (high weight, low reps) to have a pretty high correlation with distance and club head speed, assuming you are able to maintain your flexibility.

Yoga, BJJ, and chopping firewood. I'm told cutting grass with a grass whip is good for golf, too, but I haven't tried it.

Pilates resistance bands cost about $15 and there are tons of free you tube videos with exercises. Pilates does a lot of stretching against resistant and a lot of core work.

Follow PFSGolf on Instagram. He has some good workouts you can do or improvise on his page. I personally just try to get to the gym twice a week and hit my whole body (deadlift/squat/bench) and am trying to lose the gut.

I've lifted heavy weights for most my life, but I had no clue how weak my hips and core were until I tried yoga. It's been a tremendous help strength and flexibility-wise. I picked up the DDP yoga DVDs based on the recommendations here, and I do 2-3 exercises each week. Feel great.

My favorite exercise that is somewhat golf related is a series of explosives moves (slams, wall balls, chest passes, etc.) with a 20-lb slam/medicine ball. It gets the heart pumping and you are building strength through athletic movements, as opposed to stationary lifts.

Back