Conundrum - your opinions please

Phil75070

Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 #TheGrandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
Let me preface my question(s) by stating:

- I hate traveling by air with golf clubs - everything about the process - could go on potentially two outings per year
- Using a service like Ship Sticks means you don't have the use of the clubs while in transit to/from any location and for where I go, for the most reasonable shipping costs, I would be without clubs for almost a week before and a week after the outings.
- I have a set of Apex irons and enough assorted hybrids, fairways, wedges and putters, all except for a 2nd driver, to have a complete back up set I could use for travel.
- I would love to get fitted for an Epic/Epic SZ driver, and assuming I would see similar benefits that others have seen, just don't want, can't really afford to spend $500+ at this point.

So my conundrum is, do I get a less expensive driver, say off Callaway CPO, to complete a back up bag for the time being that I could also use for travel, or do I trade-in everything not in my current club rotation, which includes the Apex irons, towards the cost of an Epic/Epic SZ bringing the cost down to practically nothing?

Curious as to what everyone thinks, what they would do in a similar situation. Thanks!

Trade in and get Epic

Would I sell a whole back up set of clubs for one new driver? I wouldnt

Agree with the above. The Epic is not a life changer. Prices dropping fast on eBay if you wait.

You can find some really good drivers for cheap on eBay. The Cleveland Classic 290 and Cleveland XL Classic Custom come to mind.

Agree with the above. The Epic is not a life changer. Prices dropping fast on eBay if you wait.

off subject but be careful with e bay, lots of fakes of these on there

I've never had a problem traveling with my clubs, but I understand your hesitancy. If you only need to travel 2 twice a year with them it seems like trading them in would benefit you as long as you don't want to go back to any of the old clubs. Maybe trade in and get the driver and a nice travel cover.

Better!!! I'm searching for the proper shaft combo before I purchase but I will have one in the bag.

Just go my route. Get an Epic, an Epic S/Z and have a Yellow, a black and a T1100 shaft - one of the 6 has to work!:bulgy-eyes:

Just go my route. Get an Epic, an Epic S/Z and have a Yellow, a black and a T1100 shaft - one of the 6 has to work!:bulgy-eyes:

I'd have to do that with the Matrix Black Tie or Oban purple and black. I know he Epic is the head for me, just need the engine.

I'd have to do that with the Matrix Black Tie or Oban purple and black. I know he Epic is the head for me, just need the engine.

It's funny because I thought that the SZ was the head for me but after multiple rounds with both, I'm now leaning back to the Epic.

In my opinion, don't spend $500 on a driver that will be obsolete in less than 6 months. Wait till the price comes down a little.

Trade in and get the Epic. I always thought it'd be good to have a "back up set" but then I never used them, because I was always using my newest sticks.

It's that good?

JB was gracious enough to let a couple of guy's use one at the kickoff classic last week and I hit it on several holes. While I have never really been one of those guy's that gets a new club at launch, this club has me pondering. It can be a game changer for some. I loved everything about it. This is just one mans opinion, but you should spend some time with it on the range and see for yourself.

JB was gracious enough to let a couple of guy's use one at the kickoff classic last week and I hit it on several holes. While I have never really been one of those guy's that gets a new club at launch, this club has me pondering. It can be a game changer for some. I loved everything about it. This is just one mans opinion, but you should spend some time with it on the range and see for yourself.

The last ball I hit on the range with jb's Epic and the FujiPro Speeder carried the back of the range. I thought I was seeing things. I put the perfect move on it and it was gone.

The last ball I hit on the range with jb's Epic and the FujiPro Speeder carried the back of the range. I thought I was seeing things. I put the perfect move on it and it was gone.
Love the Fuji shaft. That's a good poke by any standard. Just wish I could have tried the 9.0 instead on the 10.5. love the look at address. Did you get spin numbers on that drive?

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Love the Fuji shaft. That's a good poke by any standard. Just wish I could have tried the 9.0 instead on the 10.5. love the look at address. Did you get spin numbers on that drive?

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

I didn't get numbers on Sunday. Saw solid numbers with the range balls on Saturday.

Keep your clubs and wait for the price to drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends how much you travel. I travel quite a bit and have a back up set and use Ship Sticks to ship. If its just one or two trips per year it might not be worth having a backup set. Just my $.02

If I had an extra set of clubs, I would trade them in to get an Epic. If I were constantly traveling by air for golf trips, I could maybe see having a complete back-up set. But I just could not see the need for a couple of trips per year.

Trade in and go with the new gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can wait for the Epic price to drop and then upgrade. New golf gear is always more exciting than a backup set of clubs.

My honest opinion is that I'd work on getting over my issues with shipping clubs. Buy a good travel bag and stiff arm (1/2 the cost of the driver) and insure everything for the cost of one latte a month. Dump the backup bag, gain peace of mind.

Prior to owning an Epic, I'd have never traded in a full set to get one.

Now, with knowledge born since owning one, I'd do it in a second.

Back