taking a trip to SARATOGA SPRINGS - courses near by ????

Mace

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

I am looking for some help here - I am planning a bachelor party to saratoga springs this August. It is a 3 day trip - and we hope to golf on Friday during the day. It will be 12-16 guys golfing on Friday - but none of us have been to that area before.

We are not 100% sure where we are staying yet - but using "downtown Saratoga" as a reference point -- could you help me/ give me some info on golf courses near by that would be good for us?

requirements = keep the cost under $80 for 18 and a cart - accommodate 12-16 golfers on a Friday around 10- 11 AM.

Be within 20 minutes of our lodging ( no clue where that is yet - so trick question)

Skill level of golfers = I think this is important to mention --- as it may help choose the course. Most people on this trip play a few times a year - and probably shoot about 110 on a "normal course" - We have some better players.... (think 9-13 handicap) but no one here is trying out for the PGA tour... put it that way. We are a few steps above hackers -- dont get me wrong - but we dont need the greatest/longest/most challenging course out there. That being said, we are mature, not going to rip up the course or act like idiots - so dont need to recommend the local cow pasture either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Just need a starting point -

August golf in Saratoga can be tricky because of the horse racing track season. When we do a big outing in August, we shift a bit south to the Clifton Park golf courses.

Anyway, for Saratoga:
Saratoga National will be higher than your price range during track season.

Saratoga State Park would be the closest to "downtown" and as long as their rates don't go up from last year, will be just under your budget. The only issue I can see here, is getting a group your size out there during track season.

Saratoga Lake might be a half hour away and the price should work as well as getting your group out there. THPer ddec is a member there, so he would better be able to speak to that.

And if your willing to travel 20 minutes south into Clifton Park: Van Patten, Fairways of Halfmoon, and Eagle Crest would all be perfect for what you're looking for.

I will respond later but O'Carroll is pretty much on point.

I lived in the Albany area many moons ago, and if things haven't changed much, staying in downtown Saratoga Springs in August might be cost-prohibitive. The town is packed during the meet.

Yes. That is what we are hearing. Any suggestions of anywhere else to stay that is cool? We plan on going to the track on Saturday so I would say within 15 to 30 minutes of the track is where we want to be.

Start finalizing things soon, as others said, because rooms start to disappear right about now.

Also, it's a local thing to talk about locations in terms of Northway (I-87) Exit numbers. So Saratoga is 13-15 and the track is 14.

As you go south of Saratoga, there are three hotels about ten minutes south in Malta (Exit 12) - Hyatt Place, a Fairfield Inn, and a Home 2. There is also a Turf Hotel practically right across from the Saratoga Spa Golf Course that is scheduled to open this spring.

Clifton Park (Exit 9) is ten minutes south of Malta and there are four or five hotels clustered near the Northway.

O'Carroll and ddec have given you good advice. My thoughts:

Saratoga Spa (13) is a very good option because it's close and will be a good test of all the golfers in your group.

Fairways of Halfmoon (9 or 10) is probably the nicest of the local courses we're describing. I rate it as a little more challenging than Spa, but it is always a great experience.

Eagle Crest (Exit 10) is a very nice layout that is well maintained and did not seem to get a lot of play last year. Probably comparable to Spa overall, but without the name.

Van Patten (Exit 10) is a 27 hole layout that is a good experience when it is well-maintained. It seemed to be a down year last year.

Saratoga Lake (Exit 12) is a really nice layout. I haven't played there in about five or six years, so ddec can tell you more about how it's managed/maintained these days.

Other options if those do not work out:

Mohawk River (Exit 9) is a rather long course that is a good round - again, provided the course is well-maintained, which in my experience is hit or miss.

Airway Meadows (Exit 16) isn't as polished as the others, but is a pretty tough track and gives you a lot of really different looks, including the operating airstrip between 2 and 8

Out of your distance and perhaps price ranges, but worth it in my view is Orchard Creek in Altamont - maybe an hour from downtown Saratoga. Tough layout built inside of an operating apple orchard. Anyone I've taken there loves it.

Pioneer Hills (Exit 13) is an interesting little course but I would skip that one for what you want to do.

Mace course wise I'll add on to what already has been said.

I'll start with Saratoga Lake since I am a member there. They are rebuilding the clubhouse, so things are kind of a mess in terms of food/drink options after a round. I'm actually not sure what they are doing this year for it. Course wise, it's been fine the last few years conditions wise. But I will tell you and O'Carroll can attest, if you are a golfer who is wild off the tee, you are in for a long day. The front 9 you don't have to hit driver more than twice, although you can if you wish. But its a narrow layout and during the time you are around, the greens should be rolling fast, and the greens are not flat. Fun layout, pretty course, not long, but narrow.

Saratoga Spa - I like this course and if you are in the area I think it's a good play. It's not overly difficult and has a mix of open and tight holes. Greens last year were fantastic. And it's close to Saratoga where you are aiming to be.

Saratoga National - That time of year is going to be expensive, in the 150 range. But it's a beautiful layout, great clubhouse to enjoy drinks and food after. No doubt you will have an amazing time here, but it's going to cost you.

Eagle Crest(Clifton Park) - Really good greens, always ranks high in that aspect. I think it's the easiest course off the tee that we are talking about. Everything is kind of out in front of you. Good shape, friendly staff, best breakfast sandwich at the turn in the area IMO.

Fairways of Halfmoon - Fast greens, some fun holes and some frustrating ones. The top part of the course plays more like a links course, while the bottom half is narrower and more parkland style.

All of those, with the exception of Saratoga National will be under your budget per round. Van Patten is also a good option.

Back