Working In A Pro Shop

Longshanks

Long and Wrong
Reaction score
Handicap
9.4 MSGA
So, I have the opportunity to work at my local course in the pro shop about 8 - 10 hours per week at minimum wage. I'm in my early 50's and don't really need the money, but I think I'd really like the atmosphere working in a place that I love. Not to mention free golf. Do any of you TPH-ers work in a pro shop? Has it been a good experience, or am I looking at it through rose colored glasses because I enjoy the golf atmosphere so much. I know this is kind of a subjective question, but I could use some input before I accept the position. Thanks!

So, I have the opportunity to work at my local course in the pro shop about 8 - 10 hours per week at minimum wage. I'm in my early 50's and don't really need the money, but I think I'd really like the atmosphere working in a place that I love. Not to mention free golf. Do any of you TPH-ers work in a pro shop? Has it been a good experience, or am I looking at it through rose colored glasses because I enjoy the golf atmosphere so much. I know this is kind of a subjective question, but I could use some input before I accept the position. Thanks!
I haven't personally, but I've got a good friend that does it as he's working through college. He loves it. It's not a high pressure sales environment, he's talking about what he loves, and he lives on the sim during down time. The discount alone is worth it for him. Pretty cool opportunity I'd say.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I worked in a Pro Shop for 4 years, both part time and full time for the last two years.

It CAN be a bit rose colored, I'm not going to lie. Depending on the schedule they are going to want to use you at and depending on the size of you shop staff and course. I worked at a larger course at first, and we had cart attendant's and a separate Food and Beverage staff. Working their wasn't to tough. BUT the last two as an Assistant Pro at a small muni course, was completely different. Opening and pull carts at 5:30 in the morning can be not so fun, when you're by yourself. Closing is worse as you have to get the carts cleaned and put back, plus stocking shelves that got emptied in the snack bar/area. Working Tournaments, or trying to deal with patrons who feel above the rules, can be interesting. With that said, the there IS a good side. Talking golf, free golf and range balls, making new friends with the members, shop discounts on merchandise...those all outweighed the bad for me.

I have spent many an hour behind the counter of several pro shops. My time in the PGA required it and I loved it. It was my career goal at that time to be a head pro or director of Instruction. I think people view the life of a golf pro as glamorous and filled with fun. There is that but its also work, hard work. Now at 10 hour a week, you're doing it for the free golf so it shouldn't be that bad. But dealing with idiots is part of the job. Having a positive attitude is the other part. There alos should be some knowledge of the gear you sell. Sounds like a solid opportunity for you, I hope it is everything you want it to be.

With the amount you'll be working, it would be pretty sweet. 95% of customers are fantastic and are excited to get out there, there will be some who think they come before anyone else.

I worked 6 years in a shop while in university. We had some part time guys and gals who loved it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not yet but it is a possibility I'm considering as I near retirement.

It's not a bad gig. Keep yourself busy when you're not helping customers. Clean, straighten, whatever. The golfers notice someone who doesn't stop. Even if you think there's nothing else to do, those glass doors have fingerprints all over them to clean off.

A couple days a week means it's mostly for the golf (and discounted product is included as well) which is where I am at now after several years doing it full time. I was actually working two jobs full time, but now I am going back to my insurance full time and doing the golf like I did when I first started, a couple days a week. Try your best to remember names of the regulars and the members.

By working there, you'll meet a lot of golfers and probably end up with someone to play with on those days you just show up to play. I know I could always get paired up because I knew all the regulars. If you want to only do this part time, be careful about picking up extra hours here and there. It can turn into a 50-60 hours a week job! I know from experience!

Where I am now, it is just pro shop as the food and beverage is separate. But where I was before, if you worked in the pro shop you also worked in the kitchen. That was actually good, because it was easier to stay busy and the time flew by. Kind of keep track of what you sell during your shift and re-stock as needed. People can't buy if there's nothing to sell, and generally if you are buying at a golf course it's because you need it, not because you want it.

If you can help out in other areas (turn a cart if needed, empty the trash, fill the ice machine) during your downtime, the other workers will appreciate it. Just don't be a clock watcher. And remember if you aren't 5 minutes early, you're late!

I worked in a proshop in Alaska full time for a couple of seasons, it was a lot of fun. Helped out in the kitchen, and turned carts. Opened the shop up 5 days a week @5:30-6:00 am and managed to get 9 in most afternoons before the wife got off work. It was a good gig.

Be prepared to spend days like this. For real. Warning for language. (When I saw the thread title, I thought this is what it was going to be, haha)

[video=youtube;0-33QC7xI-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-33QC7xI-g[/video]

I did it for two years in high school and I really enjoyed it. However, the head pro and I had a really good relationship and he was great to work for, which I think contributed to me liking the job so much. We were a muni course, but we weren't super busy except on the weekends. The pay obviously wasn't great, but the free golf was an excellent perk. I'd recommend it to someone not worried about the money.

Billy Bob or Fox Ridge?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Last summer I worked at the course that I play in my league at. I worked one day a week for about 4 hours.

I enjoyed working in that environment. All my golf was free and anything in the shop I got at cost. So for only 4 hours a week it was a no brainer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be prepared to spend days like this. For real. Warning for language. (When I saw the thread title, I thought this is what it was going to be, haha)

Haha! I can only imagine the characters you had to deal with

This is hilarious!!!! I love their voices!

To answer the question of the OP....I'd say at the number of hours your looking to pick up you shouldn't get too involved in the stress of the day to day operations that are part of running a pro shop. I worked at one for a summer several years back, I really enjoyed it but our head pro was a complete idiot for a boss, other than that it was awesome! I say go for it, what do you have to lose??

Good luck with the job! I didn't work in the pro shop, but I worked course maintenance as a younger guy. Free golf, free range balls, and in my case free instruction (I had taken lessons and became friends with the pro before working there.) If you love something, surround yourself with it as much as you can!

Billy Bob or Fox Ridge?

Fox Ridge, you know you live in a small town when you can narrow it down to two courses lol.

Thanks for the excellent replys guys. The shop is pretty small and there wouldn't be any kitchen work or cart turning, only manning the register for like 3-4 hours in the evening a few days a week. Based on the positive feedback you've all provided I'll stop by the course and get more details, but I think I'm going to go for it. The only problem I see is going to the course after work, then not getting home until the kids are in bed, so not seeing the kids could be problematic...but I could give it a go for a summer and see how it goes.

Fox Ridge, you know you live in a small town when you can narrow it down to two courses lol.
Might motivate me to get out of my Billy Bob comfort zone!

Might motivate me to get out of my Billy Bob comfort zone!

You should hit Fox Ridge more often, there are some interesting holes. The difference between the front 9 (shorter and wider), and the back (longer and more narrow) make for an interesting 18. I'll PM you later this spring and we'll play a round.

Back