The Most Underrated Player on Tour?

Rory's Swing

Activate the Glutes-Tiger
Reaction score
Handicap
A number
With so much talent at the top, sometimes recognition escapes some truly great players. What is one golfer you believe is underrated by the golf industry?

After taking a quick look at the OWGR, I'd say Alex Noren. I don't watch golf much, but I've never even heard of the guy and he's 11 in the world!

Paul Casey

Jon Rahm at the moment, he's going to be a beast!!!

After taking a quick look at the OWGR, I'd say Alex Noren. I don't watch golf much, but I've never even heard of the guy and he's 11 in the world!
I did the same thing and was thinking, sole based on OWGR I'd say Tyrell Hatton, he's 17th in the world and I barely recognized the name and in no way could point him out of a lineup!

I did the same thing and was thinking, sole based on OWGR I'd say Tyrell Hatton, he's 17th in the world and I barely recognized the name and in no way could point him out of a lineup!

They are both Euro tour players. Hatton is starting to play more here but noren hasn't made that jump. Noren had a hit streak mid-late last year. Hagan has jumped up quickly on the last 6 months or so

Tough question...

I'd probably go with Shane Lowry. He's been right there in the past 2 US Opens. It's only a matter of time until he breaks through and wins a major. Consider he's 53rd in the world, I think he's fairly underrated.

Jimmy Walker

He won a major, played on several international team competitions, but still doesn't have that top caliber player aurora about him. He could go into just about any bar/restaurant in the country and not be bothered in the least. I know you can say that for a lot of players, but not ones with a resume like Walker's.

Very non obvious answer here: Paul Casey. The guy basically disappeared with injuries and has now surged back up the OWGR and finished very well at the Masters last year. Takes a lot to make that happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jimmy Walker

He won a major, played on several international team competitions, but still doesn't have that top caliber player aurora about him. He could go into just about any bar/restaurant in the country and not be bothered in the least. I know you can say that for a lot of players, but not ones with a resume like Walker's.

I agree 100%, he is so subdued on the course but the man can flat out play.

Jimmy Walker

You should read his story sometime, about how he almost never made it on tour due to injuries, one after the other. Truly a comeback kid story made for the big screen.

You should read his story sometime, about how he almost never made it on tour due to injuries, one after the other. Truly a comeback kid story made for the big screen.
Isn't he from Texas too? ;)

I am going to go with Kuchar. Not flashy by any stretch but gets it done day in and day out. Only missed 2 cuts in all of 2016 in 26 events with 10 Top-10s and 16 Top-25s.

Daniel Berger maybe. I think he's going to break out soon.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

Jim Furyk for me. Shot the first ever 58 on tour, won a US Open, has 17 career wins, has made $67M, and hits it like 260 off the tee. That is remarkable. He doesn't get the appreciation he deserves in my opinion. Big fan of him except for his really slow pace of play.

Justin Thomas

Gotta agree with others, Jimmy Walker has serious game.

Another vote for walker!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Patrick Reed. He's the young guy who isn't among the big three + DJ, isn't flashy like Fowler, etc.

I like Kuchar for this. He rarely misses cuts and usually is top 25 but is kind of bland and doesn't grab your attention.

I would have to say Lee Westwood. 42 career wins with victories on 5 continents and a former world number 1 but even I don't rate him as having a chance when he's in the hunt. I don't know what it is but he's definitely underrated, we hardly even consider him as best player never to win a major.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Brendan Steele is about to make a jump to just below the bottom of the elite category. Seems like every tourney he has a great round or 2, he just needs to be able to avoid those blow up holes.

Back