The Car Shopping Thread

My last daily driver was the Kia Optima with the turbo 4. Great car, good power for a driver and got around 30mpg as long as you stayed out of the boost. I ended up having to get rid of it because it had some strange electrical problems with the gauges and the power windows and two dealers couldnt fix it. They sent an upper level engineer down to look at it who couldn't figure it out, so Kia bought the car back along with some other incentives, so I got a Forte instead. The Forte is a good car for my long drives, gets better gas mileage and has more options but I should have gotten another Optima.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
I have had my optima turbo a month and I really like the car. Quick enough to be fun, but can get the mileage when keeping it in ECO mode.

After looking at car prices and discussing finances with the boss, looks like a small SUV isn't in the cards for me. She's going to need a new car in 2 years (if not sooner) so it's either a decent hatchback like the Mazda3, Honda Fit, or Kia Forte5 or a used SUV. So now I'm shifting gears (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) and researching the cars now, looking for one that'll give me good highway mileage and a backseat big enough for the two kids.

I test drove the VW Jetta TDI this weekend when my Malibu decided to have another expensive fix. Gosh I love that car! The power, the toys and the space are fantastic! Throw in incredible gas mileage and I'm sold! When the wedding is passed and everything settles down I'm getting one!! :)

After looking at car prices and discussing finances with the boss, looks like a small SUV isn't in the cards for me. She's going to need a new car in 2 years (if not sooner) so it's either a decent hatchback like the Mazda3, Honda Fit, or Kia Forte5 or a used SUV. So now I'm shifting gears (SEE WHAT I DID THERE) and researching the cars now, looking for one that'll give me good highway mileage and a backseat big enough for the two kids.

I tried all of these, liked the mazda, wasnt fond of the looks. I liked the kia, but the clutch felt a bit too soft for my taste (yes I drive a stick). I ended up with a focus, I enjoy it, but its not as good as my golf was

I tried all of these, liked the mazda, wasnt fond of the looks. I liked the kia, but the clutch felt a bit too soft for my taste (yes I drive a stick). I ended up with a focus, I enjoy it, but its not as good as my golf was

The Focus is very appealing, but the back seat is about as big as the one on my Saturn, which is a deal breaker with the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I test drove the VW Jetta TDI this weekend when my Malibu decided to have another expensive fix. Gosh I love that car! The power, the toys and the space are fantastic! Throw in incredible gas mileage and I'm sold! When the wedding is passed and everything settles down I'm getting one!! :)

Such a fan of those TDI's, great to drive around town and mileage is sick.

Such a fan of those TDI's, great to drive around town and mileage is sick.
Yeah the new engine got 2 mpg extra even though the car got bigger.

I've got a 2014 Forte as a daily driver and it's actually been a really good car so far. I've got the 4 door and my teenage sons fit back there easily.

I've got a 2014 Forte as a daily driver and it's actually been a really good car so far. I've got the 4 door and my teenage sons fit back there easily.

How's the gas mileage on it? From what I've read it's fairly low but some reviews have said they're doing a lot better than the EPA estimate.

According the the dash display, I get 32-33mpg with a mix of city and highway driving. Mine does have the optional larger 2.0 engine though.

That's not too bad. I drive mostly highway, so the better ratings of the Mazda3 and the Fit are appealing. The Forte is less expensive than both though, and the dealership is the closest to me of any of the other brands.

Got a new work ride yesterday. Some of you know I work for a Ford dealership here in Central Kansas. So, as a bit of a perk, when we have a vehicle that's been in the inventory for to long, the Boss sets it up as my "demo". So, about once a year I get a new ride. Last year I had a 2013 Ford Focus ST, which was a LOT of fun. They sold that, and for the last two months I was driving a Transit Connect Wagon....a minivan...which was fine, too.
Finally, yesterday, the Boss tossed me the keys to this....

2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0....

Ya, I'll be ok with this. lol

So, I might only be able to take myself and one other guy to the course for the KC Invitational in July, truck only has enough room for my clubs and one other set.

Who's coming with me?

Got a new work ride yesterday. Some of you know I work for a Ford dealership here in Central Kansas. So, as a bit of a perk, when we have a vehicle that's been in the inventory for to long, the Boss sets it up as my "demo". So, about once a year I get a new ride. Last year I had a 2013 Ford Focus ST, which was a LOT of fun. They sold that, and for the last two months I was driving a Transit Connect Wagon....a minivan...which was fine, too.
Finally, yesterday, the Boss tossed me the keys to this....

2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0....

Ya, I'll be ok with this. lol

So, I might only be able to take myself and one other guy to the course for the KC Invitational in July, truck only has enough room for my clubs and one other set.

Who's coming with me?

That's awesome!!

My sister has offered me the use of her car while I'm in town. But that looks like it be worth a quick ride in at least :)

Okay so I'm debating on buying this. I'm ready to buy myself a vehicle. 430Hp golf club hauler!
5d37efeb1277aefbc3d22e2a82f48755.jpg
8dfaaf1dd122c809c7b7ea98d5f8af92.jpg

It will be driven roughly 5000 miles a year if I were to own it. I will let you guys know what I decide.

What car is that?

One last ditch effort being made to off the boat. If it can happen I'm cruising in a 2012 Mercedes C320 coupe. Wowzers. Hahaha

Not holding my breath,

My Golf R just crossed 2000 miles this afternoon in just over a month of ownership, man is it fun to drive. I always get a smile on my face when I know I have to drive somewhere. Had a few nerve wracking moments yesterday during the hailstorm but the only thing that came out of that is my windshield is cleaner.

Bullfrog, did they let you test drive one? I have wondered how those drive and how well the power is delivered for a while.

One last ditch effort being made to off the boat. If it can happen I'm cruising in a 2012 Mercedes C320 coupe. Wowzers. Hahaha

Not holding my breath,

##DFWSwagga!

My Golf R just crossed 2000 miles this afternoon in just over a month of ownership, man is it fun to drive. I always get a smile on my face when I know I have to drive somewhere. Had a few nerve wracking moments yesterday during the hailstorm but the only thing that came out of that is my windshield is cleaner.

Bullfrog, did they let you test drive one? I have wondered how those drive and how well the power is delivered for a while.

Yes I have driven it. I would be buying it from myself I work at a dealership.

Jason, it is a Chevrolet SS. Has same engine and transmission as Camaro SS except more safety features like adaptive cruise control and side blind zone. Plus has driver select mode with Touring, Sport and Performance settings. It has magnetic rear suspension where a Camaro doesn't at the moment. Plus holds golf clubs better. All Wins in my book.

I'd still really like a hatchback, but I'm heavily intrigued by the Kia Optima. I wasn't planning on a midsized car, but the prices on 2013/2014 models with low miles and options out the wazoo are almost too good to be true.

Gas mileage is a big thing for me with the highway miles I drive, which is why I was leaning more toward the compact hatchback with a decent back seat for the kids. But then I learned that my Saturn is only getting me 20/30 at best, so all of a sudden a midsized at 24/35 suddenly looks a heck of a lot better.

I'd still really like a hatchback, but I'm heavily intrigued by the Kia Optima. I wasn't planning on a midsized car, but the prices on 2013/2014 models with low miles and options out the wazoo are almost too good to be true.

Gas mileage is a big thing for me with the highway miles I drive, which is why I was leaning more toward the compact hatchback with a decent back seat for the kids. But then I learned that my Saturn is only getting me 20/30 at best, so all of a sudden a midsized at 24/35 suddenly looks a heck of a lot better.

The Optima is a solid car, smooth ride and powerful. The price is very good for the tech you recieve as well.

I've got an Optima as a rental car this week. Not sure of exactly the year, but I'd lookout for the blind spots caused by the rear windows...it seems pretty rough. Other than that, it is a decent vehicle. I was getting nearly 34 mpg highway today even pushing 75-80 most of the day.

Back