Do you set the bar for your group?

crucialfix

Reaction score
Handicap
My golfing group all started playing about the same time. I was always able to pick up sports quick was was constantly getting the lowest score for the first couple of years.
Recently everyone is starting to equalize and a stronger (healthy) competition is starting to form within the group forcing me to really buckle down and improve my game.

Are you 'that guy'? Playing catch up? back and forth?

I set the bar for mediocrity if THP is considered my group.

Among my friends that play twice a year I am the undisputed champion.

I am the worst player in my group by a large margin which includes a woman who plays from they same tees.

The group I play in most times are pretty even. With the THP group I am nowhere need leading the pack

I'm middle of the road in my regular group.

There are 6 guys I normally play with and I am second. The top guy is ahead by a lot and 3 guys are pretty close to me.

My usual group is pretty competitive. I usually come out on top but not by a huge margin. I'm trying to break 90 consistently where as most of my friends are in the mid 90's.

When I do get beat they never let me hear the end of it tho lol

Interesting topic. 6 years ago, when I moved back to my home town, I joined up with a couple of guys who had been playing golf for only a year at that point. (I've been playing since about age 5 or 6). I set the standard for the first couple of years. The past couple of years, both of them have really improved, and it is much more competitive now. One of them in particular even beats me maybe 1 out of every 3 rounds (in stroke play), and is always close to matching me. We play a lot more games now that we shoot approximately the same scores on average.

~Rock

Playing catch up with my group of best friends. I am second between the 4 of us. The number 1 has never been beaten by any of the rest of us. The best I have done is 3 strokes off.

I've been playiny golf for about 5 & I typically play with 2 guys that played college golf. On my best days, they're still 5-7 strokes lower than I am, but it's nice to have them around for scrambles.

Of the 3 guys I golf with the most, one of them is definitely better than all of us while me and the other two are on pretty level ground. I probably regress most significantly though, where I will have a couple weeks of playing terribly, yet my top form is better than theirs. But for THP gatherings, I am near the bottom as far as skill goes, at least in most of the foursomes I've been in. It doesn't stop me from talking plenty of smack though.

My group is interesting, mostly everyone plays to a 7-8 so it's anyone's round to take any given weekend. When it comes to golf tech I'm the go to source for info though, so I lead in that part of my group (only because most my group never changes equipment).

I'd say I'm typically middle-of-the-road in most groups I get in. Except the one time I got paired with a couple of high-school girl golfers. They cleaned my clock.

I am right in the middle of my group - the better player though can have those days when he shoots around what I shoot....

I'm usually the worst golfer in the group.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'm towards the top of my group.

Playing plus handicaps like Flog put me in my place from time to time.

I hope my group aims higher than the bar I set.

While I am the player with the lowest handicap in the group I play with mostly, I wouldn't really call it "setting the bar".
Plus, I get my tail handed to me on a regular basis with these guys when hdcp is taken into account.

Of my regular group, I'm #2 of 4 as per handicap. But we never play with handicap as we're all within a few shots of each other and our silly, misguided competitive natures will not allow us to take strokes from each other. I mean, none of us has a problem giving them but none of our egos will take them, lol. Just the competitiveness among good friends.

Same attitude I took with all sports. I had a buddy who played pro basketball in Europe for a short stint. I was once a pretty good player but not nearly that good. But no way, in one on ones was I gonna let Ronnie spot me any points. Sure he kicked my butt 90% of the time but it inspired me to play harder and get better.

Back to golf. I am the longest in my group by a fairly good margin. I like to set that bar. ;-)

Do you set the bar for your group?

If I'm setting the Bar for a group. It'll be about hrs height of a Candy bar and not a high jump bar :)

But of my regular playing group Just like THP outings. There are low single digit guys and guys well over 100.

In my regular foursome we all play about the same, and on any given day any of us can shoot lower than the other. We are all between a 12/13 handicap. We also all hit the ball about the same distance off the tee. Our iron distances can vary about a club or two.

In my most frequent groups, I'm usually middle of the road.

When I play with family and friends back in NJ though, I'm usually one of the better golfers. Those guys play once a month, tops, and only during warm weather.

I'm a little of everything. I don't play with the same group all the time. With the group from work, I'm usually the "best", but with the group from high school and college, I'm in the middle or worst in some cases. Which is fine with me.

I am the best of my normal group by 9-10 strokes and I think it hurts my game.

I have a blast but I usually play better with better golfers

Back