What Is Your Favorite Local Course?

Mine would be Manakiki in Willoughby Hills. Old Donald Ross design that you can't beat for the price.

My favorite within 30 minutes from home is Bungay Brook Golf Club. 9 hole, links style course that is always in good shape.

For me, it would have to be Rockliffe Hall, which is 5mins from my door almost. I wish I had the money to be able to join there as I have played it a few times and I would happily play there more often if I could afford it but I can't so I will have to make do with my cheap and cheerful home course that is about 20mins away

For me, Creekmoor. Bar None. Almost like a Florida course in KC, lots of water, white sand.

Creekmoor3.gif

No offense, but that just looks too plain to me with no trees, and if it is as flat as you say then I couldn't see it keeping my interest beyond a couple of rounds. Unless the rough is really thick and tough, it looks like there is almost no penalty for missing the fairway in the holes you can see

Pumpkin Ridge is the nicest public course in my area but my favorite to play is Langdon Farms (course review here)

True Story. My father is from Brookline and growing up he was not allowed there as they didnt allow Jews. Over the years and through his successes he was offered to play many times and he finally got the chance and has now done so numerous times and I get to do it with him in 2016.

I assume they've changed their policies since those days?? LOL

Honestly, within 30 mins I don't have one, at least not one I have been on yet. Once I get on "The Patriot" that'll change.

I'll go with Queenstown Golf. 36 holes, two distinctively different layouts. Typical in good shape. Pace of play usually isn't to bad either.

Glad I read your post before posting myself. Staying within the 30 minute time frame, I would also have to agree with the Queenstown Golf Links, especially the River course. If permitted to extend the time a bit it would be the River Marsh course in Cambridge. Although I still wish someone would blow up the 17th hole.

Public - Stonewall Orchard in Grayslake Illinois --> Incredible Public Course
Private - Ivanhoe Country Club - Ivanhoe/Mundelein Illinois --> Great if you can get on.

What Is Your Favorite Local Course?

True Story. My father is from Brookline and growing up he was not allowed there as they didnt allow Jews. Over the years and through his successes he was offered to play many times and he finally got the chance and has now done so numerous times and I get to do it with him in 2016.

...if you need a 4th...

My favorite local course is my home course Montaup CC in Portsmouth, RI. Great views, always in excellent shape and a heck of a deal if you don't mind being on the member waiting list for a while. If not its open to public play as well.
Www.montaupcc.com

The best ones are just under 45 minutes away, but within 30 minutes, I guess I have to go with the local country club. Short course, par 71 and you can't get to the par 5s in 2. The only reason it's the best is because of the greens. If the other course in town had the CC's greens, it would be my favorite and I'd join there because the layout is much better there.

Hunter Ranch in Paso Robles, CA. It can be a real bear if you aren't on your game but it is kept pretty nice (as much as you can with water restrictions) and the greens are always fantastic. Surrounded by wineries, it is really pretty in Fall/Spring.

Thirty minutes is tough for me. My favorite closest course is The Capital Hills at Albany.

Just outside of 30 minutes (like 40 minutes), you bring in Saratoga National and Ballston Spa Country Club (LOVE the front 9, LOATHE the back 9).

Thirty minutes is tough for me. My favorite closest course is The Capital Hills at Albany.

Just outside of 30 minutes (like 40 minutes), you bring in Saratoga National and Ballston Spa Country Club (LOVE the front 9, LOATHE the back 9).

I was going to say Albany Country Club or Ballston Spa. Love them both.

That's pretty great (except the whole "used to not allow Jews" part). That will be a fantastic round, I'm sure.

That's pretty great (except the whole "used to not allow Jews" part). That will be a fantastic round, I'm sure.

It was a different world back in those days, my father is 75.

forgot a pic of boulder creek

bouldcreek_oh.jpg

< 30 minutes is Apple Mountain in Freeland, MI it is a course that is always kept in great shape, is challenging, and a treat to play.

<40 minutes is Bucks Run in Mt. pleasant, MI which is always in top shape, and the layout is FANTASTIC!
One of my favorite courses I've played.

My favorite course within 30 min is probably Shaker Hills in Harvard, Ma. Always has good conditions, nice layout, and good practice facility.

If we disqualify my place of employment.

Waverly Woods an Arthur Hill design about 20 minutes west of Baltimore and 10 minutes from me.

We have had several local THP get togethers there.

Always in great shape. Some pretty challenging holes and while there is a real estate development there. It rarely comes into site let alone play.

Pace of Play is usually very good as well. It has a Bermuda grass driving range a large putting green and a short game chipping and bunker practice area.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Qualifications.
It must be with in 30 minutes of your house or apartment.

I'll be one of 'those' guys and select my home course, The Oasis. Been playing it for 15 years and can't get sick of the challenge.

Glen Mills was a great track - I'd love to get another shot at that one.

Any time you're in the area and want to hit it up, lemme know!

Back