For the love of the game

6ixOhFore

Husky Eyes
Reaction score
Handicap
All of us share a deep love for the game,all started for different reasons. My beginnings came from living in the proximity of a pitch and putt. Spent nearly 2 years there before hitting the big courses. The outdoors,nature and the trill of chasing a score and trying to outdue yourself and get better makes us all return. What got you started to the game? What is your favorite thing about golf?

Sent from my SM-G900W8

I actually started playing golf in college. My buddy had a local golf outing to raise money for a farmers scholarship. It was originally just supposed to be something for the scholarship but we both got the golf bug. That was almost 20 years ago now and I get more and more excited to play each year.

My hobby was hunting and I was there, a long way from home and with limited cell service, when my wife had a stroke at a very young age. I decided that from that point forward I would be limited in my traveling to be close to her and available at all times. I just decided to try golf a few months earlier and this incident pushed me to pick it up as my new hobby. Since then I've found that it's perfect for my Type A personality and borderline OCD issues. It's also been the perfect opportunity to spend a ton of time with my son who plays in junior leagues and has really taken to the game.

After playing sports my whole life, needed something to feed my competitiveness. Little did I know...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

5 yrs ago, I had to give up old man basketball and needed a way to vent to protect the dog and kids. :)

It all began one night at the driving range with my friend and from that night on, I was hooked. I love everything about the game, the challenges you face on the course to making new friends and going to the golf shop acting like a kid in a candy store. Golf has given me an outlet to be social and be more open to people around me and I will play this wonderful game until the end.

Everybody needs their vice(s). Golf always took a back seat to my other sports but when I stopped playing those, golf moved front and center and became my new and only vice about 5 years ago.

A friend of mine who is huge into golf from a very young age. Started playing Tiger Woods at his house, then starting watching some tournaments, then he had me a makeshift set from his old stuff. Next thing you know I'm addicted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I just started a few years ago, because a friend of mine who has played all his life talked me into it. We live in a small town and the course is <2 minutes away. I was never a fan of golf in the past years, but after playing, I instantly became hooked. I fell in love with the game. I grew up playing basketball, and never had quite the addiction to that as I do to golf. I think the main reason being it's a solo sport. You can play by yourself and challenge yourself to become a better player. I think being able to enjoy nice courses and the beautiful outdoors is the icing on the cake.

My dad got me into golf, it was something for us to do together when I was young. I stopped golfing when I was about 15 (found cars and other things). Started golfing again about 4 years ago and it has become a way for my friends and ,myself to spend some time together and also something for my father and myself to do again. Looking back I regret ever giving golf up.

Took up the game six years ago. I always had an interest in learning the game but didn't know anyone who played or really anything about it. One spring a golf equipment brochure came in the mail from Dicks sporting goods and I said to my wife " you know what? This is the year" bought a Walter Hagen beginner set, found a local pro to teach me fundamentals and the rest is history! Like hackernation said, I'll play this game until the end. I used to think hey it's just hitting a ball into the hole, how hard can it be? Boy was I in for an eye opener!

Started when I was 12 and hated it...too hard. But it allowed me to form a deeper bond with my Dad than I ever had. 35 years later we still play together.

My dad got me into golf, it was something for us to do together when I was young. I stopped golfing when I was about 15 (found cars and other things). Started golfing again about 4 years ago and it has become a way for my friends and ,myself to spend some time together and also something for my father and myself to do again. Looking back I regret ever giving golf up.

This is essentially my story as well, except I only took it back up about a year ago and my father is unable to play due to a bad shoulder. It's been something for me to keep my competitive nature and get me out of the house a few nights a week.

I find it very interesting how we all came to this game. It is what unites us,builds friendships which I love about THP. Met many great people who I am glad to call a friend. Thankfully there is a place like THP to bring us knowledge and bring us closer. Coming from baseball and basketball golf fills the want of competivnesses and the love of the outdoors.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

I started with my dad when I was I my early teens and worked at a course for lessons greens fees and spending money. Picked it up off and on again through the years. We moved a couple years back and now I live within 10 miles of 4 courses. Seemed like a sign.

Back