I tried focusing on the left/lead hand as Freddie mentioned above and couldn't putt to save my life that way. I have no idea why but it immediately caused huge left/right discrepancies in my lines. I went back to thinking about keeping my right elbow tucked to my body and using the right hand for control and things worked very well for me again.

Playing the ball forward in my stance is critical for this. It really helps set my left wrist in the correct position. Played 6 of my 9 holes today with it a little more towards the center and was struggling just a little. Bumped it back more by the inside of my left foot and boom, was right on.

Playing the ball forward in my stance is critical for this. It really helps set my left wrist in the correct position. Played 6 of my 9 holes today with it a little more towards the center and was struggling just a little. Bumped it back more by the inside of my left foot and boom, was right on.
Incorporate Seemore SPI with left hand low and you'll thank me in the morning. My fear is that if you are to far forward, your right shoulder is forward in relation to your left.

Also the hole concept of left hand low is take the right hand out of the mix. If the right hand is your dominate hand, then conventional might be better. If you feel that your releasing the club left..place a golf ball between your wrist and the grip of the left hand. This will steady the amount of movement you see on your stroke.

Incorporate Seemore SPI with left hand low and you'll thank me in the morning. My fear is that if you are to far forward, your right shoulder is forward in relation to your left.

Also the hole concept of left hand low is take the right hand out of the mix. If the right hand is your dominate hand, then conventional might be better. If you feel that your releasing the club left..place a golf ball between your wrist and the grip of the left hand. This will steady the amount of movement you see on your stroke.

Here's where I'm at.
39f626734c4f6a7a78e2558f49393c68.jpg

10bf5e400599442fe110953f551d0814.jpg

101c586e74dc1114a15032a9b9c79553.jpg

Here's where I'm at.
39f626734c4f6a7a78e2558f49393c68.jpg

10bf5e400599442fe110953f551d0814.jpg

101c586e74dc1114a15032a9b9c79553.jpg
Looks good, I like the hands a little more center. Are your eyes over the ball or just inside the back of the putter.

Looks good, I like the hands a little more center. Are your eyes over the ball or just inside the back of the putter.
More center of my body/stance? Eyes are just inside the back of the putter.

More center of my body/stance? Eyes are just inside the back of the putter.

might think about having the eyes more over the ball. with your eyeline inside the putter, this encourages a strong arc, and could lead to a handsy fanning of the face. to engage the shoulders more, eyes over the ball is very helpful. and also think about having the triceps more on top of your rib cage. these are things my spi instructor worked on with me recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

might think about having the eyes more over the ball. with your eyeline inside the putter, this encourages a strong arc, and could lead to a handsy fanning of the face. to engage the shoulders more, eyes over the ball is very helpful. and also think about having the triceps more on top of your rib cage. these are things my spi instructor worked on with me recently.

I'll play around with it a little bit more, but I've had more success and felt more comfortable with the ball up in my stance and my eyes behind the ball. Granted I am still very new to LHL.

couple before and after pics from the same lesson. after pics on left, before on right. obviously still a work in process, but I think the same day difference puts me in more of a position that looks like a "correct" setup.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439089675.530700.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439089686.383184.jpg

I'm kind of surprised that your SPi instructor said this. Most of what I've read on THP from other SPi instructors (including my own) suggest keeping your eyes slightly inside the ball (more over the back end of the putter).

I'm kind of surprised that your SPi instructor said this. Most of what I've read on THP from other SPi instructors (including my own) suggest keeping your eyes slightly inside the ball (more over the back end of the putter).

this is very interesting, because I walked away from that lesson feeling like I got more of a "generic" putting lesson, rather than anything specific to spi (though admittedly I know very little about spi). I'll be picking up my putter from him next week, and probably will have another lesson while I'm there. I'll definitely ask him about this. thanks!

Practicing some putting tonight and I think I might go back to conventional at least for the next round and see how it goes. Playing around with both and am getting more consistent center face contact with conventional, and it feels a little more comfortable at the moment.

You are overthinking this :)

Not to encourage you to do one or the other, but don't overanalyze it. Putter grip pointed at your zipper. Ball in front of the face.

I think feeling a left or right hand is just a preference personally. I just like to feel that right wrist staying cupped, which means the left is doing what it's supposed to. The other way works fine too. Nice and smooth.

You are overthinking this :)

Not to encourage you to do one or the other, but don't overanalyze it. Putter grip pointed at your zipper. Ball in front of the face.

I think feeling a left or right hand is just a preference personally. I just like to feel that right wrist staying cupped, which means the left is doing what it's supposed to. The other way works fine too. Nice and smooth.
It felt like the club was more prone to move around in my hands with LHL while practicing last night. But you're probably right, probably over thinking.

So I've been practicing this a lot inside on my putting mat and carpet putting to see if I could even do it, and honestly I'm super accurate with it haha. I finally found a grip to where it feels comfortable and I might try to actually put this in play during a round and see how it goes. After doing it a lot today it's starting to feel really, really good.

After reading the start of the thread again, Tiger saying he would use this if starting new again makes sense. He has always been right hand dominant, and having that hand at the top would be more in control. I am kind of the same way where I feel much more right hand dominant while putting, and after finding a grip that feels comfortable, having my right hand feel like it's doing more of the work feels better.

I practiced yesterday with my hands closer together and my thumbs more beside each other than overlapped; similar to Spieth. With my flatso 2.0 it felt very comfortable and all of my putts seemed to come off dead straight. This was only on my putting mat, but I'm thinking it will work well for me on the course.

I putt RHL being a lefty, and as ir13 can attest it's smooth when I'm on. I don't know how to describe it other than you just kinda move through the ball keeping your left hand cupped (right for y'all weirdo righties).

when i picked up the putter, he was headed out for the day, but we are scheduled to have another putting-specific lesson this friday. i'll definitely ask him about this. in the meantime, i've been trying to take my setup with my eyes over the rst alignment on the heel of the putter. is that what your instructor taught you?

Switched back to this today after going back to conventional last round. Adjusted one finger just a little bit and my grip felt much better. Needless to say I'll be sticking with this from now on. My putting was fantastic today.

when i picked up the putter, he was headed out for the day, but we are scheduled to have another putting-specific lesson this friday. i'll definitely ask him about this. in the meantime, i've been trying to take my setup with my eyes over the rst alignment on the heel of the putter. is that what your instructor taught you?

That sounds about right. I don't think there was any one specific point - just remember him (& others) saying eyes directly over ball was not optimal (can't remember the rationale now, but it made sense at the time). So I check every so often that my eyes are "inside the ball" slightly - back end of the putter seems like a good spot.

I'm now roughly a year into using this grip and it has really helped me tremendously on the green. I'm much more consistent with speed and my ball starts on my intended line more often than not. For whatever it is worth, I'm right eye dominant as well as being right handed.

I've really struggled with putting. Pushing putts, leaving putts short, or pushing them right. After hearing so much on tv about left hand low, thought I'd give it a try. Just some carpet putting but I feel like I'm rolling the ball much better. Stroke is less handsy and I feel like the putter gets through the ball better. Curious to see how it goes on the course.
2a6db5e50df03f830c8a06ca89607706.jpg

I used to putt this way when I was a kid. My friends used to make fun of me.
When I'm struggling I go back to it.
What I like about it is it levels out your shoulders and it quiets your hands and allows you to rock your shoulders back and fourth. Creates a solid stroke for me

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back