Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood - Technology Q&A

Looking forward to your thoughts Drogster.

Looking forward to your thoughts Drogster.

Me to. If only the Irish weather would improve, Gale force winds and torrential rain over the last few weeks is a real downer!!!!

This has become money off the tee for me whenever I have to hit a spot that's 210+ on a shorter par 4. It's a launch monster and soooo easy to hit. Still need work from off the deck, but that's my issue and not the equipment.

Truth is that a HW will be the next club added to my bag. Kicking myself for not jumping on one in the marketplace a few weeks ago :banghead:

As a long time 7 Wood lover, I had been staying away from the Heavenwood because my 7 Wood was the most reliable club in my bag and I didn't want competition. I made my way to Golfsmith this afternoon and they had 2 of them on sale and I was just planning on picking up new wedges and not buying anything else, so I decided to hit it and see how I liked it.

My first couple swings were less than stellar, but then I hit one 229 yard carry with a baby fade measured on Flightscope. I kept hitting it and all of the shots were almost identical, between 225 and 232 yards. I couldn't believe that I was getting that distance out of it while hitting the exact same shot every time, so I went out to the car and got my 7 Wood to make a fair comparison. My 7 Wood is 21*. I averaged 197 yards carry through 10 shots, longest being 204.

So my wedge purchase became a wedge and heavenwood purchase really quickly. I only hit my 4 wood 230 yards when I connect well and I'm not very consistent with it, so I've pulled the 4 and 7 woods and this will be their replacement. Now I just need to fill the gap that I've created.

I wish I could hit my fairway woods that far.

I want to upgrade to the GBB, but I just cannot move on from this thing!

As a long time 7 Wood lover, I had been staying away from the Heavenwood because my 7 Wood was the most reliable club in my bag and I didn't want competition. I made my way to Golfsmith this afternoon and they had 2 of them on sale and I was just planning on picking up new wedges and not buying anything else, so I decided to hit it and see how I liked it.

My first couple swings were less than stellar, but then I hit one 229 yard carry with a baby fade measured on Flightscope. I kept hitting it and all of the shots were almost identical, between 225 and 232 yards. I couldn't believe that I was getting that distance out of it while hitting the exact same shot every time, so I went out to the car and got my 7 Wood to make a fair comparison. My 7 Wood is 21*. I averaged 197 yards carry through 10 shots, longest being 204.

So my wedge purchase became a wedge and heavenwood purchase really quickly. I only hit my 4 wood 230 yards when I connect well and I'm not very consistent with it, so I've pulled the 4 and 7 woods and this will be their replacement. Now I just need to fill the gap that I've created.

How much shorter shaft length is your 7 wood ?
The HW is 43" which is 3w length. The distance gains make sense if your 7w is around the std 41" length. Also the HW is 20* not 21-22* like most 7woods.

The HW is 43" which is 3w length. The distance gains make sense if your 7w is around the std 41" length. Also the HW is 20* not 21-22* like most 7woods.

FWIW, this heavenwood (vseries) is 20.5 degrees.

Stock length on the Bio Cell 5-7 Wood is 43", there's .5* difference in loft, but the heavenwood is 3 swing weight points lighter.

Stock length on the Bio Cell 5-7 Wood is 43", there's .5* difference in loft, but the heavenwood is 3 swing weight points lighter.
Is the shaft in the HW lighter than the Bio Cell?

Sorry. Forgot that 0.5*.
Based on the emphasis you were putting on loft, I figured it was an important 1/2 degree. Hahaha

Seriously though, this head is so great for so many because of the design. Footprint is a little larger, launches easier than a comparable 7w for most, but allows 4w like distance. We have seen it doesn't work for everyone, but it works for a ton for sure. I had to go 70+g in my vseries to make it really work for me, was a weapon though.

Is the shaft in the HW lighter than the Bio Cell?

Just a little 57g vs. 60g. I can't say I know why I hit it so much further, but the sole shape does bring a lot of confidence for me. I just know that I'm going to get the ball.

Just a little 57g vs. 60g. I can't say I know why I hit it so much further, but the sole shape does bring a lot of confidence for me. I just know that I'm going to get the ball.

The Bassara is about as high launching as it gets. Might be a perfect fit.

I actually owned the HW twice. In stock form it was either the most impressive fairway wood shots I've ever hit or it was a complete top or mishit that went 40 Yds. I'm not a great golfer but rarely do I miss a shot that bad. So I grew frustrated. Also on my scale it measured 43 1/8" with grip so the length did me no favors, as I'm only 5'4".

I then built one at 42.5" with a 70g shaft. I lost some distance but consistency was a little better. Still wasn't quite giving me what I wanted and was afraid if I shortened it more I'd lose the distance I needed from it for gapping.

I came from a k15 5w which is 42" so easier for me to handle and with a 190cc head was a little easier for me than the 175cc of the HW.
Ended up back with the K15 in the bag.

At the demo day this May I'm going to give the GBB HW and 5w a try.

The Bassara is about as high launching as it gets. Might be a perfect fit.

I actually owned the HW twice. In stock form it was either the most impressive fairway wood shots I've ever hit or it was a complete top or mishit that went 40 Yds. I'm not a great golfer but rarely do I miss a shot that bad. So I grew frustrated. Also on my scale it measured 43 1/8" with grip so the length did me no favors, as I'm only 5'4".

I then built one at 42.5" with a 70g shaft. I lost some distance but consistency was a little better. Still wasn't quite giving me what I wanted and was afraid if I shortened it more I'd lose the distance I needed from it for gapping.

I came from a k15 5w which is 42" so easier for me to handle and with a 190cc head was a little easier for me than the 175cc of the HW.
Ended up back with the K15 in the bag.

At the demo day this May I'm going to give the GBB HW and 5w a try.

Hey buddy, not to derail but just noticed you are another NE ohio thper, this one is in your backyard, you in? http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...lry-Ohio-vs-Michigan-Sponsored-By-True-Temper

Hey buddy, not to derail but just noticed you are another NE ohio thper, this one is in your backyard, you in? http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...lry-Ohio-vs-Michigan-Sponsored-By-True-Temper

Sounds fun and even though I haven't played it I hear Boulder is a true test of golf. It's about 40 min from my house.

For me though having 3 and 6 year old kids just isn't conducive to planning 6 hrs in advance let alone 6 months away, lol.
For instance we're finally now getting to visit family for Christmas cause my youngest battled 102* fevers during Christmas Eve, Day and Day after.

I'm kinda surprised they haven't filled the 8 slots. Isn't there like a 1000 posts on that rivalry thread already.

Sounds fun and even though I haven't played it I hear Boulder is a true test of golf. It's about 40 min from my house.

For me though having 3 and 6 year old kids just isn't conducive to planning 6 hrs in advance let alone 6 months away, lol.
For instance we're finally now getting to visit family for Christmas cause my youngest battled 102* fevers during Christmas Eve, Day and Day after.

I'm kinda surprised they haven't filled the 8 slots. Isn't there like a 1000 posts on that rivalry thread already.

Teams are coming down the road, THP picks a few, captains pick a few, still lots of time to decide should u change ur mind. Thats a bummer dude, I have 3 young kids of my own and id go crazy if I couldnt plan 1 day out.
Maybe trade the demo day ur going to in may for this one, it will be worth it

Teams are coming down the road, THP picks a few, captains pick a few, still lots of time to decide should u change ur mind. Thats a bummer dude, I have 3 young kids of my own and id go crazy if I couldnt plan 1 day out.
Maybe trade the demo day ur going to in may for this one, it will be worth it

441 is correct. Nothing has been selected yet.
Good thing is you can plan the demo day this far out.

The event is going to be awesome and lots of local THPers involved. Then of course the winner getting an all expensed paid trip to True Temper to learn straight from the experts and a whole lot more surprises.

Looking for advice. I hit my hvnwood better than any fairway ever. I do hook it often. I am playing regular and wondering if there is much difference in the stiff or should I look for one with a little more weight. I'm play regular everything but am longer than typical regular player. I hit hvnwood 230ish. 7 iron 160. Input appreciated.

I will be receiving a Heavenwood head from my buddy SoxFan this week. He saw that I was pondering purchasing one so Scott sent me a PM saying he has one I can have. I have a shaft in mind to try in it and am looking forward to receiving it later this week. A huge thank you to Scott for doing this for me.

Looking for advice. I hit my hvnwood better than any fairway ever. I do hook it often. I am playing regular and wondering if there is much difference in the stiff or should I look for one with a little more weight. I'm play regular everything but am longer than typical regular player. I hit hvnwood 230ish. 7 iron 160. Input appreciated.

I have one in stiff. If you are heading or planning on trying to head to the THP Event in New England this year, you can test both out on the launch monitor and course and see what's working for you.

I have one in stiff. If you are heading or planning on trying to head to the THP Event in New England this year, you can test both out on the launch monitor and course and see what's working for you.

Thanks for the offer I will keep that in mind.

I will be receiving a Heavenwood head from my buddy SoxFan this week. He saw that I was pondering purchasing one so Scott sent me a PM saying he has one I can have. I have a shaft in mind to try in it and am looking forward to receiving it later this week. A huge thank you to Scott for doing this for me.

Will be fun to hear your thoughts, DD! I have played one sparingly during a few rounds and every time, hit excellent shots with it. Almost comical.

I plan to have one of the newer models in the bag sometime soon. We'll see if it translates long term into replacing my hybrid (or moving my hybrid down to the 4 iron slot instead).

My pleasure buddy! I hope it treats you well!

Back