Wedge Ponder and Your Decisions

I was fit.

Brand specific obviously at the grandaddy.

I've played tm, cleveland and Titleist wedges before and but never got on great with any wedge consistently.

Grinds? What is that. No understanding of them, but Mr Roger cleveland came up with a grind that is on my wedges and it works for me. So whatever he did... :clapp:

I really don't feel I'm leaving anything on the table as the callaway MD forged work so well for me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've never been fit - but tend to only look at two brands. I understand the grinds a bit, and have looked at information provided by companies to figure out what I believe would be best for my game. With the RTX 3's I currently have, I definitely don't think I am leaving anything behind.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? I have not
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I test out multiple brands. Wedges are probably the area in my bag (other than putter) where I am most open to anyone.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? A little bit, but far from an expert.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Since I have never been fit properly, I would guess that there is probably something that I am leaving on the table.

I have never been formally fit for wedges, but I spent about an hour on trackman with just wedges and an instructor.

My approach was completely brand agnostic - I compared Cleveland, Wilson, Callaway, and Titleist head to head.

I don't know nearly enough about grinds and options - I go with the suggestion of teaching pros blindly. I'm sure I leave something on the table with this approach.

Awesome thread! I've always felt behind the curve in the "custom wedge" world. Very cool to see some of the responses.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges?

No, I've typically focused on feel and performance for me and then chose lofts that ensured I left no gaps.

If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic?
Typically brand agnostic.

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know?
I test multiple brands. That said, it seems that most brands don't stray far from historic design in terms of weight and feel. Spin and grind however definitely change.

How well do you understand grinds and sole design?
I understand the difference conceptually in terms of how specific grinds play on firmer or softer courses and align with the angle of attack, but that's the extent of my understanding.

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above?
I'm sure I'm leaving some benefits on the table because I'm grabbing stock wedges and shafts with the standard or most versatile grind. In essence, I grab the wedge that's for "everyone" rather than what's for me.

Last edited:
Great thread JB. Especially in light of my recent mental debates over which grinds to order in new Pur wedges...unfit obviously...new, bright and shiny objects I couldn't resist.

Only once

Titleist specific

I usually test out the wedges that appeal to my eye and look right at address. Cleveland and Titleist have been the two brands I've used the most

I would say fairly well...but the combinations of the Pur wedges had me a bit perplexed

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above?
I'm sure being fit is the way to go. I generally end up with the same lofts and grinds every time but I'm sure it's a familiarity thing. I really need to be more open to different grinds and lofts.

Never

I usually bounce back and forth from Callaway and Cleveland

Very little

I am pretty sure that I am

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? - yes
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? - by a brand rep from Cleveland
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? - I have tested out a few brands, but usually go with one of 3 (Cleveland, Vokey or Callaway)
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? - I would say I am fairly well caught up. I understand bounce and how it can be used as well as how different grinds affect how a wedge can be used. that said, I know I could learn a lot more
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? - I am sure that if I really went out and did some real wedge testing with a fitter that knows what they are doing that I could probably find something better for my game, but for the most part I am pretty satisfied.

Never been fit for wedges.

With so many grinds from all the companies it's tough to keep them straight and I often have to reference their website to know what is what. After the reference I have a slight understanding.

The golf town up here doesn't let you test wedges you you have to do your research and make a best guess. So yes I think I'm leaving a lot on the table because of it.

No.

If/when I am fit I would want it to be what actually works the best for me, not just a sales pitch (pun unintended)

I rely on THP reviews/feedback to determine which wedges to try.

I have a very, very basic grasp of the concept.

I've found what seems to "work" for me. However, I'm sure that I'm leaving quite a bit on the table.

I paid for a wedge fitting at Club Champion and was terribly disappointed. I was told that their Trackman setup didn't really accommodate wedges, so it was more about look at address and feel, then I could take home the wedges for testing. It was a combo putter and wedge fitting and we did spend some time with the putter, so I paid for the fitting but never tested any wedges.

I was fit at a local fitter by testing RTX 2.0 with a few different shafts, but again he said his Flightscope wasn't very reliable for wedges. Which was confirmed when it said my sand wedge was going 130 yards lol I bought what he fit me into, hated it, and moved on.

I was fit for my current wedges at the now defunct Annika Academy. But that fitting was limited to one head, and no shaft changes; all we tested was grinds mostly in full swings, then we hit a couple bunker shots. I've been generally happy with the wedges, but eventually bought a sand wedge with a different grind.

brand agnostic. i made the decision based on what i expected to be robust fittings with multiple options.

in the past my preference would have been to try multiple options. now, i want to give love to certain brands so i focus in on what i want then seek out a way to test.

bounce = good

that's it!

100% yes. here's what i wish would happen:
1. test different heads and different grinds for chips, pitches and sand shots. find the winner.
2. test different heads, different grinds and different shafts for partial and full shot distances. find the winner.
3. repeat test 1 with the winner of test 2 and compare the results to the results from test 1, and find a happy medium.

the costs of that are pretty obviously prohibitive. you can't invest in a quality short game facility, and all the inventory, all for $120-$140 per club. but that's my perfect world scenario.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? No

If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? N/A

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I did in the past, but the last few purchases have been the same brand.

How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Not very well, but want to learn more about them.

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? I am sure I am.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? No!
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? Usually stick to the brand on my irons!
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? Some but it's just looks and bounce that I pay attention to.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? A little!
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? No doubt!

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? Nope. Fitters have made recommendations based on my irons, but nothing further than that.

If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? n/a

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? Testing wedges isn't always an easy prospect for me as I'm not a member at a club that does demos or anything like that, and none of the stores will let you take a wedge other than to swing one in the sim, which is basically a fancy version of the waggle test for me. So, I'm generally dependent on my experience to drive what I'm comfortable with and reviews on sites like this. Sometimes it works out really well, and sometimes just ok.

How well do you understand grinds and sole design? I feel like I understand grinds and sole design, but also think I'd benefit from a bit of education on how they can really help my game.

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Almost certainly something.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? No. A fitter asked me a question about them during iron fitting but I would say no.

If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? N/A

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I have tried Mizuno, Vokey, Callaway, and Cleveland

How well do you understand grinds and sole design? I have a working knowledge but would not call myself an expert. I do have a different lob wedge for AZ summer vs. AZ winter and travel.

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Yes. Aside from strike which is from me I really want to get fit into wedges and understand different shaft profiles. I have had multiple wedge/shaft combos and nothing really is consistent for me.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? No, but have always wanted to have it done. Think it would really improve my much needed short game help.
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I have 2 or 3 brands in mind,try 2 varieties of each to get a good feel.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Have gained much knowledge on sole options on THP. Usually I check out the supliers website for reference as well.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? I think there would be a benefit to a proper fitting ,to get lie angle and lofts to match my set.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? I wa fit for my rtx2.0 using the wedge analyzer app. I'm pretty standard when it comes to wedges.

If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? Was brand specific and that is Ckeveland

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? In the past yes. I'm pretty much a vokey and Cleveland guy now. Although the MG wedges from TM have me intrigued.

How well do you understand grinds and sole design? I think I have a decent understanding. I definitely want to get more knowledges.

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Nope.

No. Not even a little.

N/A

I've been sticking to Cleveland for the last few years

Here's my wedge story...I played a lot at the cheapest course that was open at the time with my dad. I'm a sweeper and the bunkers there were deadpan but I struggled some to get out. So I went out and bought a low bounce, aggressive grind Titleist 60 (think it was an SM4). Figured that would help in the deadpan bunkers. I got my dad a CG16 60. After a couple months seeing my chipping game go to cr*p, I hit my dad's and loved it. My dad was more of a digger than me but was having a hard time with his 60. We swapped one day on the course and never looked back. Since then I've been reluctant to switch to another brand/profile.

Probably. But I could also be worse. No way to know w/o getting fit.

Wedge Ponder and Your Decisions

Fit? No. My last wedge purpose was by recommendation from the shop I get my clubs from. Plus I love Cobra gear so to It was a win-win. Did I test multiple brands? Another no. I don't understand grinds or sole design well. But I do want to test a few more brands and be more open minded this time around. And yes I do think I'd be leaving potential benefits on the table without a proper wedge fitting.

I love the short game, so this will be fun.

- outside of ensuring proper gapping, no. The closest I have ever come to a wedge fitting was after getting by with my Wilson wedges, I went and made sure the gapping was consistent with my irons. My recollection is that he bent all three wedges 1* strong.

- Never fit for wedges.
- I test out as much as I can, based on what is available. Over the past 6 years or so, I've played vokey wedges, which narrowly won out against clevaland at that time. I've swung the ATV wedges, and of course, I have played the Wilson wedges I'm currently gaming. I'm also fortunate enough to get a chance to play a PUR wedge sometime and really put it through the paces.
- About the only way I can answer this is to say that every time there is a piece on THP about grinds and sole design, I learn something new. So I'd say my knowledge is "not enough." I do know that I like a tour grind/atv/versatile type of grind, typically on my highest lofted wedge, which I tend to open and do the widest variety of shots with.
- If I am leaving anything behind, I would say it is just 'comfort' and 'turf interaction' that I am missing out on by not knowing much about.

A couple more comments. My wedges do not need to be the same brand as everything else in my bag. However, I am hesitant to play multiple brands of wedges. No idea why, it's just in my head that way. The only exception would be the highest lofted wedge, which typically does not see full shots, and so I don't need that consistency among the wedge set quite as much.

Wedges are very feel oriented for me. When shopping for a wedge, the first thing I do is take it out to a range (I hate testing wedges on a mat). I start with full swings. I do take full swings with all of my wedges, particularly the stronger lofted ones. If it feels comfortable and natural to swing, I then move on to pitch shots. I have a stock pitch shot swing, and again, all it needs to do is fly the appropriate distance, and feel natural to swing. If it feels natural still, I move on to 3/4 shots. Chances are, if it passes the first two, it's going to pass this one. Finally, more specialty shots, which really only applies to the higher lofted wedges (56 degrees +). If everything feels good, then it is a candidate to go into my bag.

The only other thing of note is that for the first time ever, I have KBS wedge shafts in my current wedge lineup. To this day, I don't know if that's what makes my wedges feel different and what gives me the ability to flight my wedge shots lower, or if it is the Wilson wedge heads, but I hope to find that out someday, because if it is the shaft, then that adds a whole new element to wedge fitting.

~Rock

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I've tried many different brands
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Not much at all
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Absolutely!

I think wedges have possibly been the most frustrating piece of equipment for me because I don't know what's best for my game. I've asked the local stores for knowledge and all they say is "you should use _____ grind for our type of turf". That's about the end of that explanation. I'd love to do a fitting but the only option is an indoor fitting and I can't see hitting off of mats being very helpful.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? Yes
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? Agnostic
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? Multiple
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Very
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? No

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? Yes three wedge fittings this last 12 months

If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? Im Agnostic,

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? Multiple brands and owned them as well, only ones we didnt try where latest Callaway Forged, TM and CObra as shop didnt have fitting kit yet

How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Ok and im starting too realise its also shafts as well

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Most likely, hopefully ive got it right this time, gaps, grind and shaft.

This last year ive have a full set of Vokey SM6,s (fitted but bad gaps) a set of MD3s (fitted, shafts too stiff) with a PM 60, a set of RTX,s ( not fitted, bought because of this forum ) I was not happy with these for a number of reasons and last month got fitted again and ended up with some Ping GLide 2s.

For a lot of it is in the shafts of the wedges as well....I liked the MD3s but the KBS shafts where too stiff ( as we matched the shaft in the stock PM grind, the RTXs 2 dot i found too grabby but liked the shaft,, these Glides im liking the grind and the shafy as well..

Very interested in this topic.
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I've played Cleveland since I started playing again 5 years ago.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Not enough. I read a lot but still can't grasp how grind/sole affects turf interaction.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Yes, I'm a digger except for my 60* and really should get fit for wedges or at minimum know what's best for my style.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? I have not.
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I went with what I know.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Not at all.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Absolutely my wedge game is probably the worst part of my game. I hate any shot from 60-130 yards. Below 60 I have a wedge like the Callaway chipper that I can use.

I thought this would be a fun conversation about wedges and how THPers choose what they are looking for.

Back