Wedge Ponder and Your Decisions

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was speaking to a friend of mine at our course yesterday about different wedges and the buying thoughts that goes with each golfer. From brand loyal to matching irons and everything in between. It got me thinking and I put a pen to paper when I got to the office this morning and hear me out on the whole thing.

For a number of years, there were wedges from just about every manufacturer. Then for a couple of years in the middle, Titleist and Cleveland were at the forefront (you could even add SCOR Golf) at offering the most lofts, options, etc. Meaning that there was never a sacrifice and they had something for every golfer. To combat that, other companies began to offer things like ATV, because it was a single sku, that they believed worked (many loved those).

In the last few years, Callaway has come into the wedge market rather strong with their most recent releases and been at or near the top with those mentioned above to include more lofts and grinds. TaylorMade was a bit behind them, but has since launched Milled Grind, and have a number of lofts and more grinds than before as well. And even Cobra has jumped into the mix with the latest PUR line and have more sole offerings than in the past to compliment the lofts.

So that leaves me to a number of questions, and I am almost there. In the past, I usually thought of some of the brands as offering wedges kind of because they had to, more than making the full commitment, now I am viewing it as a competition and a way golfers can really find exactly what they want/need. The sheer number of skus in wedges has to dwarf just about every other category and I know for many golfers they are more confused than they are taking advantage of it.

With all of that said, here are some questions.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges?
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic?
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know?
How well do you understand grinds and sole design?
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above?

I thought this would be a fun conversation about wedges and how THPers choose what they are looking for.

Great thread. I'll be following this one for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see the feedback. I've never been fit for Wedges even though they are great scoring weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? No, but this sounds like a perfect THP event that would be a must attend for me.
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I usually just go with what is getting great THP reviews and sounds like a good fit for my game.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Just enough to be dangerous. Getting to hang out with Roger Cleveland (thanks to THP) a couple of times and talk wedges has shaped my desire for wedges with more bounce than I used to play.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? I think there would be a benefit or a proper fitting outdoors to make sure I have the right bounce/grind as well as making sure my gaps are covered correctly. Especially with a PW at 44*.

Great questions/Thread! I have never been fitted for wedges. I currently have a Mizuno MPT4 56° And talked my wife into letting me get a new wedge yesterday since it was a great deal, got a 60° Cleveland Rotex 2.0. I just got my 56 in my Mizuno bc that's what my irons were, but I have always wanted Cleveland's and not sure why I didn't get Cleveland to begin with. I don't know much about the grinds but I do know I like a wide sole. Just feels better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? YES
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? Callaway ECPC
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Before I was fit I had 10 minute one on one conversation with Roger Cleveland about this exact topic. I know almost nothing, but I know more than the average golfer.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? I would like a 58 that is even more versatile the the PM grind I am playing now, not sure it is possible but I would love it.

I am a huge advocate of bounce and feel like I do a good job of employing it in my short game. It expands my margin for error greatly, this is something RFC was emphatic about. That being said, turf conditions play a huge roll in selecting grind and bounce. I was ready to pull the trigger on something with less bounce when I was out west, I was struggling out of the bunkers.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? Kind of, but nothing serious. Used the Cleveland Wedge fit device.
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? Done by Cleveland Golf
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I bounce around from brand to brand for wedges, but seem to end up with Cleveland or TM.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? I want to say fairly well, but I could always use more info.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Sure, esp if I am self fitting.

• Have you ever been fit for your wedges?
    No I haven't - I've been fit for the rest of my bag
  • If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic?
    N/A
  • Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know?
    I alway give multiple brands a shot regardless of where my comfort zone is
  • How well do you understand grinds and sole design?
    Pretty well but I struggle in applying it to my personal fitting (I really need to have a pro fit me for wedges)
  • Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above?
    I think by not being fit yet I'm not optimizing my bag and game to fit my playstyle

I replaced my irons last year. My driver changes often but wedges? I haven't done those yet. They're first on my list for replacement this upcoming year. I play a 52 and 58 degree wedge (and I like it that way - 6 degree gaps - as my PW is 46). I'm excited to see what I end up with and if my game changes / improves / declines / etc.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? No, my club fittings have been static fittings

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? Most of my decision comes from the reviews of the clubs, videos, what works for my game, and of course looks/price

How well do you understand grinds and sole design? I know a fair share, I tend to research for hours upon hours before buying anything.

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? A full wedge fitting would of course be a positive to get everything fine tuned to me exactly. But, the static fittings haven't done much harm so far.

I've only been playing for a few years, and my first wedge was a TaylorMade ATV 56*. I bought it on a whim just because I needed another wedge besides pitch. After my game started to progress and I got addicted to the golf, I started to research wedges and discovered CPO. I researched the MD3s and eventually ordered those through CPO with specs adjusted to fit me.

I've never been fit for your wedges.

My purchase decisions have been all over the place. My first wedge purchase was a Vokey because it was on sale and Vokeys "were the best." I bought TM wedges because I had TM irons and wanted to plat the same OEM. I bought Cleveland wedges because they are really really good and I like the semi-simplified grinds (IMO) and they have V Soles.

I find grinds and sole design to be extremely confusing, one of the hardest things about equipment. I gravitate toward multi purpose variable usage type wedges, as a result. I'm kind of afraid of buying the wrong grinds which would make the purchase wasted money.

I don't think I am leaving anything on the table because the wedges I'm gaming are really good. I think I've left something on the table with previous purchase...definitely bought the wrong soles/grinds and suffered for it on the course.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? Yes
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? It was by brand and just specific to current model line up
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? Since it was a brand specific fitting, choosing another brand wasn't an option
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Not very much but enough to understand my swing and how the grind will play in the conditions I play the most.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Before recently, i would have said no. But now that opinion has changed and actually made a complete company brand switch because of what I learned.

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above?

Yes.

Brand name: Cleveland golf

No, only because I was at the Cleveland facility.

Average amount. Enough to get me by.

Potentially yes. But not much, I'd assume most wedges are going to yield good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? Not really, no
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? N/A
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? Usually I try out a few. The best try out I ever did was at the THP Ultimate Demo Days. Having almost every wedge there and having either 3 holes to go out on and test, or plenty of space on the range with a few targets was really awesome.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Good enough to get by, not good enough to be an expert.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? To an extent. I feel so long as I have the yardage gaps I want taken care of, I'll naturally adjust to the wedge just through practice.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? No I have not

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? Before this last year, I went basically with the newest release by Cleveland. When I first started golfing everyone told me they were the best and I never had any real reason to change from them.

How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Enough to the point where I know which grind will work for the courses I play and the type of swing I have. I will admit it can get a bit muddy at times since every OEM uses a different term for their grinds.

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? I think I could definitely benefit from a wedge fitting, if only to give me peace of mind for proper loft gap and grinds.

Wedge Ponder and Your Decisions

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? No.

Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I have basically kept it in line with my irons, though I have played TM ATV and Cleveland RTX wedges in the past as well.

How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Not much at all. I just go with the highest bounce because Vrska said so.

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? I am sure I am, but I also need more short game work to take true advantage of it all.

Good thread to noodle on!

Personally I've never really been for wedges, but have hit some side by side to see what I like. I don't have specific brand allegiances, but I got a Callaway MD3 at the Gauntlet and liked enough I blindly bought other MD3s to round out. I like things to match.
Regarding grind and shape I probably know more than your average golfer on the course, but less than most guys here =)

- No.

- I test out multiple brands at a certain price point.

- I am somewhat knowledgeable about grinds and sole design. I tend to just focus on the bounce of the wedge. As someone who tends to hit down on the ball, I tend to use wedges with a high bounce.

- Absolutely. I am no expert and with a fitting, I am sure that I can find a combination of bounce, sole grind, and the club itself that would fit my game better than my current set.

My understanding of what grinds do what is very limited. I was fit 2 years ago for wedges and I still use the same grind but have upgraded to the latest versions. I would like to get a fitting this summer when the grass is nice and healthy for an accurate assessment.

I am pretty brand loyal to either Cleveland or Titleist for the reasons you stated.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? Yes, as part of my club champion bag fitting. Although I have only purchased 1 of the wedges I was fit for yesterday.
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? It was brand agnostic.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design?not well at all, I went with what my fitter suggested
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? I don't know, but I hope not. I hope my fitter really thinks these are what is best for me.

Have you ever been fit for your wedges? Nope
If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic? N/A
Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? Normally just pick a wedge I think has a good reputation or have read good stuff about. Little to no testing prior to purchase.
How well do you understand grinds and sole design? Not that well. I get bounce, and I imagine grinds have a somewhat similar impact.
Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? Possibly.

Wedges are funny for me. One of the strongest parts of my game is chipping around the green with my 56* Cleveland 588. One of the weakest parts of my game is a full wedge shot with that same 56* or the 52*. Sometimes I don't get it it. Let's say I hit my PW 120 yards. It seems I can only hit my 52* 80 yards. That's a 40 yard gap. For some reason, I struggle with full wedge shots outside of the PW. I feel my game could really improve if I could add the full wedge shot and attack the pin from 100 yards.

The amount of options out now make it more difficult to remain brand loyal. But yes... I've played vokey wegdes from day 1. I have tried most of the wedges on the market, and I really like the new Cleveland rtx3.

I have done my own wedge fitting on a gc2 with the help of a friend at roger dunn. And I've spent a considerable amount of time working on my wedges on the lm (bending the lofts) to get the carry distances gapped where I want them.

As far as bounce and grinds go, I probably know just enough to be dangerous. I know the basics and that's about it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yes, one time. Fit by Callaway at ECPC, but that was more of a shaft fitting, and then asking what situations (types of shots) and conditions (soft, hard, mix) I played in. Then getting a recommendation from them.

Do you test out multiple brands, or just go with what you know?
Have not tested out any other brands since I was last fit.

Average or maybe slightly above average. I'm familiar with the Callaway grinds, but still get confused when trying to find their "counterpart" or similar grind in other brands wedges.

Very well could be, if there is another brand that has a wedge that would work better for me.

- Have you ever been fit for your wedges? No

- Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know? I definitely test multiple wedges out when I'm on the lookout for a new set - I've played Cleveland, Callaway, Mizuno, TaylorMade and SCOR in the past couple of decades. BUT, if I find a set of wedges that really work for me I'll stick with them for a while because I don't want to do testing every year when they need replacing. Problem is, they can get changed (sometimes not for the better) or discontinued (SCOR). I have a new set of SCORs for this year and had planned to move to Hogans next, but looks like I'll be doing some testing in 2018.

How well do you understand grinds and sole design? I understand them and know what works for my game and the courses I play

Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above? No

No, I've had a pretty good streak of winning them from THP

N/A

I have played 3 different brands of wedges in the last 3 years. Don't know if you could say I tested them, but have found things I've liked about all of them.

I think I understand grinds and bounce pretty well. Enough so, that I've told other golfers on the course what that 11 means on their 56 degree.

I'm sure I am. I feel that wedges are one of the hardest things to fit. Your swing obviously plays a major factor in selecting the right wedges, but playing conditions do as well.

Yes
•If you have, was it by brand or brand agnostic?
Brand
•Do you test out multiple brands or just go with what you know?
Just went with what I knew and to keep brand the same
•How well do you understand grinds and sole design?
Pretty well. I really have learned to be very versatile with my wedge grinds. In the last year I have really started to feel the bounce and sole on my wedges and how to use them.
•Do you think you are leaving anything on the table as far as benefits go because of the above?
Possibly, but I really havnt tested out anything else other than what I have

Back