Are you Mentally Strong?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
When you are playing, do you consider yourself mentally strong? Can you rebound? Do little things start a spiral? You tell us, what is your mental game like?

If I'm walking, yep. It forces me to wait between shots and relax.

I get awful if I can roll my cart up to the next ball and swing away at it.

I'm much stronger than I used to be. If it's just 1-2 bad mistakes, I can easily shake those off and keep going. If it gets much higher than that, though, you can pretty much count me out for the round. I used to blow up at the first mistake, but now it takes quite a while longer, and most of the time, it never happens.

Several years ago, no. I'm stronger now. Playing in a weekly league helped that. People are their HDCP for a reason. Wait long enough and they'll come back to you.

I like to think I'm getting a lot better. I used to really let bad shots/holes get to me but I tend to try an shrug them off now, to good effect. Or even just make light of the situation and laugh at myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'd say so. Not if, but when I screw up I make a quick assessment of what went wrong and move on. At my skill level it's expected to make mistakes.

Not the strongest part of my game. I can dwell on poor shots and it carry over. I've gotten better but not to where I'd like to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can settle down and focus. I am still stringing together a complete round of avoiding "dumb" mistakes so I would say I am training my mind in the right direction.

I think I have the mental strength to deal with a shaky game and try to get things turned around.

Probably the best part of my game. I just show up and play my game no matter what the situation. I don't really care if I am getting strokes or giving them. Controlling my emotions is something I am pretty good at, and I love competition. I look at errant shots as opportunities to recover. I really am the type that will just bore you to death, and hang around in a match waiting.....I rarely make birdies but I can steer clear of the doubles too.

I lose my sh*t every once in a while, just like everyone. It is usually because I made a bad on course decision.

When I slow down and just enjoy myself I find that I can handle bad shots or mistakes. If I'm rushing through a round or otherwise distracted I find that it's harder to come back from mistakes.

I honestly don't take myself too seriously on the course so it's very easy to rebound from a bad shot or hole. Of course I want to play better but I don't dwell on mistakes.

I believe I am, sometimes!!! There are times things just seem to spiral out of control and my game is horrible!!

I am more mentally strong in a competition setting. When I am with my buddies I can absolutely get in my head or worse let them in my head. Poochgolfer is great at getting in my head but I typically can let it go after 1 or 2 holes and be ready to rock again.

Yes I think I am mentally strong on the course. The Grandaddy last year was a huge test, especially in my singles match. Got off to a big lead, only to watch my opponent chip away at it due to his great play. Went from 4 up to 1 up with a few holes to play, despite playing well. It was frustrating, but I was able to bear down and come out with the win. Golf, especially match play, really requires a strong mental game in my opinion, and its something I have worked very hard on over the last few years. THP events have helped a lot in that regard.

I think I'm mentally strong. I can be emotional, but I don't let my negative emotions take over. I realize I can't undo a mistake and just make sure it doesn't repeat itself.

I've gotten a lot better in the last year. Before I could completely implode and nothing would work, now I've figured out I need to lean on other parts of my game when something just isn't firing and work around it. Usually it's driver or irons, I can usually bail myself out with the 3W or wedges and putting. So I'd say as part of my game have gotten better, so has my mental strength.

I guess I'll be the first to admit that I fold like a lawn chair. I'm hoping to get some more competitive rounds in this year, but want to at a minimum be comfortable over the ball once my swing changes stabilize. Not there yet.

No, I usually tend to make the unwise choice and try to hit the heroic shot.

I like to think so. I don't fret too much on the course and try to stay positive.

Things can spiral but I never give up. I never stop fighting when I am in a match. I feel that I am mentally strong

I think i am. Slow play used to really get me off my game, but I deal with it much better now.

I'm a lot better than I was. When I was young and dumb, I had no control over my emotions or mental state on the course. It was rarely brought up either. I kind of wish my family had been tougher on me on that aspect then they were. I was really tough on myself too though, which didn't help. If I made a bogey I would get frustrated and that obviously didn't help me with the next hole, or following holes. But I wanted so much to be really good at the game and to win the junior golf events I played in.
Today's day and age, I am much more level headed. I'll get frustrated on maybe one or two hits but it is nowhere near as catastrophic as when I was younger. And one or two hits is WAY less than when I was younger. But I guess it is a lot easier to remain level headed when playing while trying to set an example for my daughter. Bogey's don't effect me as much as they used to, and my occasional 7 (read at least one per round) just kind of gets left at that hole.
It's quite interesting how much the mental side of the game can affect the overall round. I started reading the book Golf is Not a Game of Perfect. It is all about the mental side of the game, and I have been trying to implement a lot of the points from that book into my rounds.

In the past I was horrible but I actually think it's a strength for me now. I tend to not let things get me down and if I have a tough stretch can usually fix it without getting ticked at myself.

Sometimes when I'm on a high I can string together holes like its no one's business. I think as I've progressed as a player I've been able to get mentally stronger, but I do think that I can get into my own head at times and not play to my ability. I find that when I'm playing against someone else as opposed to just keeping my own score that I have the ability to grind and make more shots. My weak point in my game always seems to be not being able to string together 2 consecutive sets of 9 holes.

Back