Playing through: Is it stressful, or is it nothing but a thing?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
LSMO and I played Dubs Dread a few weeks ago and we caught up to a group on the 16th hole. A par 3. They were on the green and waved us up. Now normally I don't have any issues playing through people, and I am pretty sure Nate is the same way, but on this day we both hit some of the most horrendous shots I've seen either of us hit! We ended up waving them on and just went back to the bench on the tee box to regroup.

How do you feel about playing through a group? Is it s stressful situation (they call it "the play through blues" for a reason) or do you just get up and play like it's nothing?

It's not my favorite thing to do but if it's smooth sailing in front of the group it's worth any pain. 16 seems like an odd time to wave someone through but at least they were considerate of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to dred this,the 4 extra sets of eyes awaiting your shot. But now I completely fine with it. Gained confidence in my game to embrace it rather then fear or worry.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Depends how I'm playing that day. I've hit some of the best shots I've ever hit when being waved up. But if I'm playing badly that day I may decline and tell them I'm not in a hurry.

I dont mind the extra eyes i just hate that feeling that i have to rush

It's not my favorite thing to do but if it's smooth sailing in front of the group it's worth any pain. 16 seems like an odd time to wave someone through but at least they were considerate of you.

They were like a 7 some!

LSMO and I played Dubs Dread a few weeks ago and we caught up to a group on the 16th hole. A par 3. They were on the green and waved us up. Now normally I don't have any issues playing through people, and I am pretty sure Nate is the same way, but on this day we both hit some of the most horrendous shots I've seen either of us hit! We ended up waving them on and just went back to the bench on the tee box to regroup.

How do you feel about playing through a group? Is it s stressful situation (they call it "the play through blues" for a reason) or do you just get up and play like it's nothing?

Probably just a fluke that that those shots came at that time. I get waved through pretty often and the downside is I always feel rushed a bit when I do. That could be problematic but it usually isn't. I've hit some GREAT good shots in that situation and some stinkers too but I wouldn't say it's 'stressful'. I take it that the group ahead was probably under some stress because your group was behind them. They were just trying to release the pressure one or more of them felt because of it. That's how I look at it every time I'm waved through.

Kinda depends on the circumstances. If my group is playing through because we're simply faster, it's no big deal. If I'm a single on foot playing through a foursome, there's a little extra worry about bricking a tee shot and holding that group up. Usually if I'm playing through as a single I'll play less than driver off the tee just to up my accuracy and speed up getting out of their driving range.

I'm happy to do it if it means no more waiting. I usually hurry up a little on that hole, but then no worries, because I know we won't be pushed from the group behind.

I tend to be slightly more rushed. My preference if for a group to have teed off on a par 3, and then i tee off, and i just finish out first. That always makes the "play through" the least rushed for me, and the least wait for the group I'm playing through.

~Rock

I am usually not a fan of the situation. Feel like by letting us play through that we are then all of a sudden under the expectation of playing faster and opening up some space on the course.

It usually doesn't affect the results if we are let through on a tee box. Always wanted to play in front of big numbers of people lol.

I've had it happen both ways, emabarassingly terrible shot and pro-like. Lol

Not even remotely stressful. Favorite playing through time was I was by myself the group of 4 old guys waving me up on a par 3. 3 of them moved off the green and the 4th stood right next to the pin. Hit a great shot missing the guy by the pin by maybe 2 yards. He seemed surprised, made the 8 foot birdie and said thanks for letting me play through.

Ain't nothing but a G Thang, baby!

I don't mind playing thru a group but hate when they let you thru and all of a sudden they want to hit into you.

As others have said, it's the perceived rush that I don't like. I try to tell myself not to worry about because they were holding US up and will likely be in our dust soon anyway, but it's still a "rushed" feeling getting through and then on the next box.

JM

Just another shot during the round. I used to try to rush and that would sometimes cost me a stroke on the hole. Now just play at my normal pace once I realized that I caught them playing at that pace and really no reason to rush.

Wait, you played through on the 16th hole? I think I just wave them off with 3 holes to play. But when I am waived up I have no issue.

No big deal unless I chunk one. Then it's embarrassing.

i don't mind the eyes, but i hate feeling rushed. it just kinda takes me out of the normal rhythm. it's like there's an expectation that if you wave somebody through, they're not allowed to miss a fairway, or look for a ball, or take a practice swing, or line up a putt, or chunk a shot, etc.

I dont mind the extra eyes i just hate that feeling that i have to rush

Agreed with this one. I feel like I have to play ultra quick since they're now waiting on me!

I wouldn't say it's stressful but you obviously want to hit good shots and not hold them up. It happened to me today. A group was in the fairway and waved me up. I hit a good drive drove up to the ball and basically shanked my second. They were cool though and told me to take my time.

I also get that rushed feeling even though I know I shouldnt. Usually doesnt help my score.

Back