Playing wtih "bad" players

I'm about the same as you explained for yourself. May put up a few snowmen and par a few. I have not been annoyed by golfers that are worse than me but I often wonder if people have gotten annoyed with me. (Weird Huh). As long as we are usually having fun than I'm ok with whoever good or bad.

I can play with anyone. I play ABCD skins every weekend and there are some really not so good players, but they are still great guys to be around. Handicap has little to do with how much fun someone can be to be around. One of our A players is a real assclown and everyone hates playing with him.

My motto: "I may be bad, but I'm quick about it."

A score doesn't matter as long the player is playing like a gentileman.

Here re is an example which will frustrate most players: I played with a walk on who literally took over a minute to hit each shot after standing over the ball. That may not sound so bad, so grab your putter and stand over a ball for over a minute before swinging. Lol, it was crazy, I have never seen anything like it. It makes Sergio look fast.

With the group I regularly play with, I'm the worst golfer of the bunch shooting from low to mid 80s typically. I have a couple of buddies that don't play often that are double bogey golfers, but they enjoy getting out & we always have a good time. The only time I would not want to play with that group would be trying to sneak in a twilight round after work, but other than that I have no issues.

It really doesn't affect my enjoyment as long as they are having fun and not getting all upset. I just played 9 with a family friend on Monday, I'm going to guess he shot close to 80 for that 9, but he didn't slow the pace down much. I changed my personal focus from worrying about score and just relaxed and had fun b.s.'ing with the guy. He asked for several tips along the way I offered what I could with a smile and offered lots of encouragement and congratulations for good shots.

The bad golfer I hate the most is the tip who is swearing and smacking himself because he's having a bad day. ruins the mood all the way around. and just as bad is the player who's getting pissed that some one is doing better.

I'm not great but i'm quick and I don't get down or mad and when I'm with some one having a great day it just makes my day even better.

Katman a great question ... I think some of us are hesitant to reach out to a better golfer and invite them to play, because you do not want to be a burden ... Example, I need to play white tees, but I would assume an 8 handicap prefers blue ...

Katman a great question ... I think some of us are hesitant to reach out to a better golfer and invite them to play, because you do not want to be a burden ... Example, I need to play white tees, but I would assume an 8 handicap prefers blue ...

This is why at THP Events, everybody plays the same tees. And we believe they are fair for everybody.

I play from about 6000 when I play. I just simply have a hard time reaching par 4's that are close to or over 400 yards and I'm an 11 Hcp. Could I play further, yes, I did it at LIITA but I really didn't care what I was shooting cause we were having a great time. I could of played from the whites and probably should of but at the driver testing we did and the ball testing I played my tee box and no one really gave a hoot.

I just hate playing alone. As long as we're all having fun, I don't care if you shoot 200.

My wife whups me so there . Enjoy the ride bruther and don't fret about the performance ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My playing partners ability and skill level does t have an affect on my game. Playing golf is a great time and even better with THPers

My current handicap is 14.5...
But I used to be way worse, and worry about disturbing my partners with my suckage...

Now I don't worry about it, ask THP'er "Wadesworld", the first time we played together, I told him on the first tee, "The best part of my game is gear and apparel...."

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I normally shoot anywhere from 93-105 depending on the day and the course, I've played with golfers far better than I, and a few far worse. I had a great time with all of them.

Except for the one that decided to swing his club in anger and send a giant chunk of sod into the face of another player. He was a single digit cap. Never playing with him again.

katman:

I totally understand your point and, likewise, I hesitate to enter many events, not just those of THP. By any and all standards, I qualify as a senior so I play from the senior tees and only enter senior events (I belong to two local senior golf associations). When playing from most regular men's tees, many par 4s become par 5s for me. I also understand that most events include some sort of partnership or team. Believe me, I understand and appreciate that any potential partner will not hold my play against me and just wants to have fun. Unfortunately, I have the personal problem that I never the less feel that I let my partner down. I can't help it, such failure just bothers me.

Man I understand that too but I hope you eventually move on from that one day. This is such a wonderful game and everyone of us has struggled and shot poor scores, every one of us. I would never feel let down from a playing partner and I played with Wardy when he gave our opponents like 70 shots in Florida and we lost on the second hole lol.
Larry. Listen to Trout. He's a Marylander after all !! We really got to get you out of that mindset when it comes to THP. You've played with local guys a few times now. As fun as that is trust me, it is 1/10 as fun as the official events.

This weekend there will be 60 of us in Pittsburgh. I'm paired with probably one of the best players on THP and I'm not concerned one bit how I'll play or where we finish as a team. Because I know our foursome is going to be first in fun and #OutingApproved.

I understand the reservation by some of our members. It's kind of sad really that the feel that way because they've not had the opportunity to join in. I've introduced my wife, and my son to THP and both have been to several events. And I've never heard either one of them say anything other than they're ready to do it again.

For me there is a distinction between "bad golfer," and "bad golf." Bad golf has little or no effect on my game - we all play or have played bad golf in our lifetimes. It is the bad golfer that upsets my game. These are people who have no idea of golf etiquette or course etiquette, and who think they're the only ones on the course.

Like others have said, your playing ability at THP events doesn't matter one bit!! I've only been to one but don't think I have ever been more comfortable playing with people of all skill levels! With that being said, I am a relatively good golfer and don't mind playing with people who have high handicaps. I don't have a high tolerance for temper tantrums. I played with a "cousin" of mine a few years back, he was a high handicapper and we played with 2 of my buddies who are scratch. On the 12th hole he hit his tee shot in the water and then walked off! Never did me or my buddies say anything about his ability prior to that. I thought it was immature and very childish. I stopped inviting him after that. I don't mind anyone elses ability, or lack there of, as long as you can have fun!

I will echo what everyone else is saying. I went to a group gathering at Tot Hill and shot 115, and the guys I played with were Lightningbolt, Trout, Johnnyboy, IR13, Bullit, and 2 others. My score was the worst by far and never once did I feel like they were juding or even noticed how bad I was playing. Everyone starts somewhere and everyone has bad days, but playing with people from THP I can honestly say is the most comfortable I have ever felt playing. I have made friends out of it, and you have 5-6 pages of people telling you not to worry about it. Have a good atitude, have fun, and enjoy the game.

Sign up, come out, and enjoy all that THP events have to offer! The experience trumps the scoring every time!

I average low to mid 80s, and I am willing to play with just about anybody.

I hate playing with slow players, regardless of their ability, or a high handicapper who gets mad after every poor shot as if they expect to hit every shot perfectly. As long as I don't have that I'll play with anybody.

I average low to mid 80s, and I am willing to play with just about anybody.

I hate playing with slow players, regardless of their ability, or a high handicapper who gets mad after every poor shot as if they expect to hit every shot perfectly. As long as I don't have that I'll play with anybody.
This too, I just hate the guys that speak so mightly about themselves over and over for 4 to 5 hours. I'm simple quiet guy who dresses casual ( cargo shorts and a golf shirt hanging out ;and I wear croc golf shoes) . So if your going to gloat how mighty you are in real life, than i would prefer they just play without me. I'm a public course guy and not a country club guy. Slow play / fast play no biggie really , a fun golfer without an ego or chip on their shoulders is my ideal partner. I've quit after 9 and started over before due to people just being jerks. My time is limited and this should be fun; playing with those people isn't fun for me at all. Right now I will take any golf Time I can find

This question is likely bouncing around the heads of a lot of THPers...at least the ones that don't have single digit handicaps. It's the question that had kept me (so far) from any THP events, well that and money and vacation time.

How bad does your golfing partner or foursome member have to be that it affects your enjoyment of the game? I basically play bogey golf, sometimes putting up a snowman and sometimes getting a par. But I worry that I annoy others. I've played with some worse golfers as well but never been annoyed at all with a bad player. I only ever get annoyed with angry players (ones that throw or break clubs on bad shots).

So, if you don't mind...how good are you and what's your threshold for a playing partner?
That's about how I play, and I play with THPers all the time.

This question is likely bouncing around the heads of a lot of THPers...at least the ones that don't have single digit handicaps. It's the question that had kept me (so far) from any THP events, well that and money and vacation time.

How bad does your golfing partner or foursome member have to be that it affects your enjoyment of the game? I basically play bogey golf, sometimes putting up a snowman and sometimes getting a par. But I worry that I annoy others. I've played with some worse golfers as well but never been annoyed at all with a bad player. I only ever get annoyed with angry players (ones that throw or break clubs on bad shots).

So, if you don't mind...how good are you and what's your threshold for a playing partner?
I'm a 4 handicap. Our group has 24 people in it. On average 12-15 show on a Saturday or Sunday. We range from 23 to 77 years old with a majority in their 50's-early 60's. Handicaps range from 4 to 23. I think only 4 people have single digit caps. We throw up balls every time to see who is paired with who. I would rather play with a fun, jovial 20 than a serious, hyperfocused 5. Golf should be fun and most of us make sure we have a great time. I love giving everyone a hard time when we play.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back