Thumb length on top hand

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie I've seen different instructors talk the long thumb vs short thumb on the top hand (left hand for righty golfer). ive heard long thumb for better and proper wrist hinge and short thumb for better head control and speed. Butch teaches short thumb.

I heard art with the long thumb there is a point of it being too long. I've used shirt thumb for awhile and my previous three instructors haven't said anything about it one way or the other.

Was reading recently that using long thumb prevents wearing out of heel and thumb sections on gloves because the hand never let's go of the club. On you the things I want to focus on with my upcoming lessons is the fundamentals and with the grip that's the biggest thing since it's the only body part that touches the club. I'm curious on your thoughts and the thumb lengths.

I know it's something some people focus on but its really #78 in a list of #82 points. I'm a fan of what feels natural. If your natural tendency it to have a short thumb then that it what you should have.

I think it's more important to get the grip in those finger properly so that the club can release properly on the back and down swing. And if you are gripping the club properly you should be playing with a short thumb.

I also like to make sure the thumb fits snug in the palm of the right hand so that both hands are working as one.

I am not sure what is meant by long thumb and short thumb.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

I am not sure what is meant by long thumb and short thumb.

Whether your thumb extends beyond your index finger. If it doesn't (think index finger in a trigger like positron) and thumb doesn't go past it for shirt thumb and if it does (think top hand grabbing a handle) and thumb extends past index finger) then is long thumb. Iirc if gripping with long thumb club has a tendency to be more on the palm.

Was it from this video:

If so, I think Shawn is advocating somewhere between short and long.

Was it from this video:

If so, I think Shawn is advocating somewhere between short and long.

Have not seen that video. Was looking into grip and came across a video by breed and saw others talking long thumb

That explains it. Thanks for the pic. The long thumb feels very uncomfortable.

Back