The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough break for Florida. At least the backup has a little experience.

How lucky has LSU been this year? Don't even play the first game and they've faced backup QBs the last 3 games and now will face Florida's backup. AND they played a road conference game at home last weekend.

I agree that we have caught a few scheduling breaks... I think losing that first game hurt us though...

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that we have caught a few scheduling breaks... I think losing that first game hurt us though...

Dax

If they win out there is no doubt they are in the final 4. Florida, Bama and Ole Miss will all be low ranked teams when they play them. Mostly worried about Arkansas. That's always a scary game.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

So the head coaching jobs at both schools that call themselves USC open up on the same day. I guess Spurrier finally wants to play golf year-round.

So the head coaching jobs at both schools that call themselves USC open up on the same day. I guess Spurrier finally wants to play golf year-round.

Spurrier retired a couple years ago. He's just continued to get a paycheck.

Spurrier retired a couple years ago. He's just continued to get a paycheck.

All joking aside -- I didn't realize the retirement was immediate. Wow.

South Carolina has a knack for ending HOF coaching careers.

As a Dawg fan I am happy, as a fan of college football I am sad.

What the hell is going on with Sarkisian?

I will miss Spurrier. The visor throw, the press conference quips. So entertaining as a college football fan.

All joking aside -- I didn't realize the retirement was immediate.

me either. tells me something non-football related is going on. a serious illness, maybe Steve's or his wife. regardless, it is not the way I expected the head ball coach to go out.

What the hell is going on with Sarkisian?

it's sad. sounds like it's been a problem for awhile, just went unchecked. such a serious illness.

it's sad. sounds like it's been a problem for awhile, just went unchecked. such a serious illness.

Is it drugs? Alcohol? Both?

I know he's going through a divorce which has to be rough .

Is it drugs? Alcohol? Both?

I know he's going through a divorce which has to be rough .

alcohol from what I have read. at Washington the players jokes about him showing up drunk to practice and team meetings. then the booster event before this season, and allegedly showing up drunk to the Arizona state game, and drink to practice on Sunday after Saturday's loss to Washington. 100% conjecture, but I think the drinking led to the divorce.

The reports I heard out here was they fired him because they learned about other incidents - maybe at Washington - that are going to come out soon and that are going to be damaging.

The person who should be worried is their AD Pat Haden. Two bad football hires in a row and he bungled the hoops program by hiring a guy that had to be fired after getting into a fight with another schools booster - wait for it - while he was drunk.

Spurrier was on Feherty recently. During the interview he said one of his biggest goals in life was to be able to say he'd never been fired. That's part of the reason he quit the. Redskins job. Just something to think about.

Absurd day in college football...I hope everything is ok with Spurrier and his family.

Spurrier was on Feherty recently. During the interview he said one of his biggest goals in life was to be able to say he'd never been fired. That's part of the reason he quit the. Redskins job. Just something to think about.

If it was any other school, I would understand and probably agree with this sentiment. South Carolina wasn't going to fire Spurrier unless there was major off the field cause. They enjoy having a celebrity head coach, and regularly/occasionally beating Clemson, more than they care about losing 5-6 games a year.

So yesterday was nuts. Gonna miss Spurrier and his awesome visors.

So yesterday was nuts. Gonna miss Spurrier and his awesome visors.
And his Spurrier isms

His two years in DC were filled with them. My two favorites. After his first year summing up the season.

"Welp 5-11, not very good. But we weren't the worst team in the league."

When asked if he saw, anything that gave him optimism for the next year he rubbed his face and said

"Optimism? Oh boy that's a tough one."

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I think Tennessee (1), Penn State (2), and Miami (3) all need to be downgraded at least one tier (maybe more in the case of Penn State and Miami).

Also, and no offense DawgDaddy, but if OU gets knocked for staleness* I'm not sure how UGA and Mark Richt don't get knocked for the same thing. Both have recently had a penchant for losing the most important game on the schedule, and/or dropping one they should handle easily but simply get out-coached. Not sure how that makes UGA the best job in the country.

*Not saying that OU doesn't deserve this "ranking" but 6th in wins over the past 10 years isn't a slouch record.

I am confused though ... is this guy ranking football programs, recruiting, coaches, or wins/losses. He's all over the place in his rationale. For example, OU shouldn't be considered a top destination because of Bob Stoops, they should be a destination because of their tradition/history and the ability of their boosters to support the program and make it a top destination. From there, a head coach (who should be a decent recruiter at the minimum) should be able to sweet talk a whale into living in a landlocked state if need be.

Last edited:
I think ND and especially Tennessee should drop a notch. FSU should be in the top tier, and I'm obviously biased but I would put Auburn up there as well, but I get the counter argument.
Definitely not a Fighting Irish fan, but I'd have to say that on tradition alone, ND is a top destination. NCAA coaches think so at any rate.

Definitely not a Fighting Irish fan, but I'd have to say that on tradition alone, ND is a top destination. NCAA coaches think so at any rate.

But all we hear from their fans is how hard it is to get recruits there because of academic standards. I think outside of UGA they are the farthest removed from a championship in the top tier. And I bet they have had the past coaches since their last championship.

I agree with you on UGA. They are either not as great of a job as the article states, or Richt needs to go. I think it may be a mix there of.

But all we hear from their fans is how hard it is to get recruits there because of academic standards. I think outside of UGA they are the farthest removed from a championship in the top tier. And I bet they have had the past coaches since their last championship.

I agree with you on UGA. They are either not as great of a job as the article states, or Richt needs to go. I think it may be a mix there of.

When you read the cirteria, UGA meets the specs, Richt does not. I still like Richt but I think they are saying he is a failure. Without the red & black glasses I would probably agree.

"TIER 1: SCHOOLS WITHOUT A CEILING

No college football job is perfect. The positions below are as close as they come. Any school can make a bad coaching hire. At these schools, that’s the only limitation. No one leaves these jobs under normal circumstances. Not competing for a conference title almost every year is failure."

The 2015-16 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Interesting. I wonder why ( honestly )Texas had so much trouble finding a coach then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back