How Many Do You Test?

I'm not usually in the market for a driver, but I take the opportunity to hit every model possible as it gets released to better understand what's available for my game. It's mostly about ball speed retention, and dispersion - however with the improvement of stock shafts I'm finding better and better experiences with pure stock setups.

4-5 depending on THP and talking to my fitter. Callaway, Nike, Titleist, TM, Ping

We have a local store that has a dozen or so demo drivers of each new model with different shafts. Before I buy I have hit all the new models including lesser popular brands like Srixon, Tour Exotics, and Wilson. I do have somewhat of an addiction to drivers with 18 or 19 in my current collection.

Usually a couple based on what's at the demo day, rep event, or in store demo. Varies based on time of year for sure.

Probably 3 or 4. It kind of depends on if I had a favorite going in or not. It also depends on whether I hit the first one well or not. If not, I may try out more.

I've only bought 1 driver and it took me trying 3 different clubs. Now mind you, I was looking for "bargains" and not to spend more than $200 that day. The first 2 just didn't feel good to me then I grabbed the TM R11s and we tweaked it until I was getting decent results. I'm still happy with it.

I hit as many as I can - but I"m usually limited because I need a 12*+ head. I always start with Titleist and then usually try a Callaway or Ping. Wilson Staff would be my #1 but they just sold up here.

3 or 4 and I always take my gamer with me to compare

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Until this past season? 2 or 3 tops. Would have done the same if it wasn't for hitting a bunch for other drivers in Tampa and Minneapolis this year.

I don't usually get a chance to hit many other drivers and that sucks. So, per the last few drivers I've purchased, I've maybe only hit 1 or two others, tops.

I usually have a really good idea what I want so maybe one or two drivers. Rare I slide into another OEM unless it has gotten good press.

We can only test out 3 at a single time. However, I usually do that two-three times, so that makes 6 to 9. If I'm serious about making a change, I'll probably narrow that down to 3 or 4.

Typically 3 or 4...I will be comparing the M1 to the Great Big Bertha and most likely the King Cobra next month....however I am leaning more and more towards the M1....miss having a TM driver in the bag...

I hit a lot of different drivers, but the quality of the testing differs and I know sometimes I don't get along with a club just because I don't find the right setup.

Hitting on the big box monitor I don't get to try many options, just hit the club as it is. The M1 is the only club I have tested outdoors lately and with that I had a ton of shaft options and was able to tinker with it to find a great fit for me. In other configurations it was no bueno for me. So I guess the answer really is one. I wish I could test others more thoroughly.

Mixed bag for me - no pun intended. The first driver I bought was off the rack and in the very beginning stages of me playing golf. The next driver I purchased was the 910 and I hit 3 or 4 other drivers, before deciding. The Amp Cell driver just happened by accident, got an informal fitting for it and got it for a great price.

The latest driver is courtesy of the Grandaddy and I am not sure I see myself changing for awhile. I have interest in hitting a couple of other drivers - just not in a hurry.

I will be in the market for a new driver after this season is over (too soon I'm afraid) since it's probably time to replace my 13 or 14 year old driver. My game plan is to test 2 or 3 during a fitting since my back would prefer I don't pound driver after driver for very long.

I should probably not wait too long however since I'm swinging the driver quite well at this time.

I usually have my mind made up between 3-4 choices. There are usually two front runners that are my most likely purchases however

Two ? I have a Dicks and nothing else so my choices are extremely limited .

No courses around here other than the high dollar private CC's even have fitting carts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 in the past. In the future I will try out several and make more than one trip to the store/demo day/etc. before making the purchase. I don't want my swing to be exceptionally "on" or "off" on any given day giving me the wrong idea about a given club. Hopefully hitting clubs on more than one occasion would give me a better idea of what to expect long term out of a club.

Each summer a nearby course has a demo day at a range. I typically will try as many as I can. Keep
The good ones in the back of my mind then usually test those on the simulators against my gamer.

That actually will depend on what type of results that I have read on here. Typically it winds up being 3 or 4.

As many as I can, which is usually one or two, or depending on what Kang has in his bag at the time we play. I dont have much of an option to try clubs out so I have to depend on knowledge of my own swing needs and reviews from others.

My research into these decisions tends to border on the obsessive, so i think i do a good job of not screwing things up when actually pull the trigger

I bring my gamer to establish baseline numbers and test at least 5 offerings that appeal to me visually and plenty of shaft/adjustability options available to get a good fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As many as I can, that fit into the category that I'm looking for. I also do a good amount of research on what shafts are available for no up-charge and also look for Demo Days so I can try all their offerings.

Interesting Thread... I had hit the same driver for about 7-8 years. This year my boss brought me a Nike Speed to work. That is what I hit for half of the season this year without ever comparing it to anything else but my old driver. The Nike was way lighter and seemed to keep me out of trouble for the most part. Next year I may look around at Driver. I am going to get fit if I do and will hit anything the put in front of me... Days are getting short and the weather will soon be garbage. Something to look forward to next year.

Back