Panda Tip: Half wedge shots featuring Mward

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
In an effort to bring more to the great members of THP I asked for feedback and got some. One request was for videos and 'how to hit certain shots'. This video was shot 2 years ago while in MB with the Mward at a little event called the Morgan Cup.

One thing I have always liked about Mike's game is his short game. Not so much around the greens but the little 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots that are needed to save a round. In this video, Mike is hitting 1/2 wedge shots to about a 70 yard target. To me it is one of the best example on how to play these shots. Fundamentally, he is spot on with an open stance to the target, great leg flex, weight forward, hand forward and choking down or up on the club.

Spoiler

He does something else that I see most people forget. The length of his back swing pretty much matches the length of his follow through. This allow him to accelerate through the hitting zone and make a crisp downward blow on the back of the ball. The club head never gets in front of the club head and he also holds that face very well. This mean a crisp hit and no 'roll up' the club face.

I see so many golfers take these huge back swing and then decelerate into the ball. This results in hitting it fat and missing their target by some measure. Even worse, this can cause the player to try to help the ball into the air instead of allow the club to the work. Either way, the results are not what the player wanted to see.

Also take notice of his spine angle, it never moves and that club returns to the exact spot it started. If he were to come out of his swing or lose spine angle, the result would not have been as favorable.

Recap:

1. Open stance to target, narrow stance (This is an arm swing so a narrow stance will help the hips to clear)
  2. Hands and weight forward (promotes downward hit)
  3. choke down the club (more control of the club)
  4. Leg flex or bent knees (get you closer to the ball)
  5. equal length back swing to follow through
  6. Maintained spine angle
  7. accelerates through the ball
  8. hold the club face open ( we are not releasing the club, holding it will impart spin with a downward strike)
  9. faces the target to complete swing and hold it

This shot can be done with any club in the bag. The longer the club the lower the flight of the ball will be. This is great with long irons if you need some distance but need to keep it low. I like to use this shot from 140 and in with various scoring clubs depending on the distance. Learning to match the follow back swing and follow through will serve you well, provide the rest of the setup in maintained.

Nice! Thanks! One of the most fun shots to hit in golf, I think!

I recently started playing these shots, 1/2 pw from about 110, 1/2 50 from 95, 1/2 54 from 85 and 1/2 58 from about 70-75. The increase in confidence from this distance is awesome. Great topic, why did it take me so long to figure this out? Hopefully those who are not playing this shot will try it! Knock some flags down.

Something I must master, I always follow through way to far.

Very good stuff Panda! Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

good stuff. thanks for posting this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sneaky Panda, I didn't even know this was being filmed!

Thanks Panda. I really need to regain my confidence in my short game and reinforcing the fundamentals will surely help.

Very underrated shot right there. Great tip Panda!

I dig it, Freddie. I've heard it as the 9 to 3 swing, and I try to use it often, not just with wedges. Good thread.

Having this shot is only part of the equation. Knowing when to use it is the other part.

Great stuff Freddie!! I have been doing more of these from 70 yards and in. Definitely feel like I have more control of the ball.

Having this shot is only part of the equation. Knowing when to use it is the other part.

So you're saying that Knowing is Half the Battle... :alien:

Terrific write-up. That's a tremendously useful shot that Wardy is very good at playing.

This is fantastic Freddie. A great tip with a great explanation, and the video helps bring it home. Love it.

I have been playing these on anything 135 and in with a lot of relative success. I have tried it with a 6 iron, but distance control needs some work. Do you advocate hitting all wedge shots in this fashion??

Freddie, seriously, I love this.

EXCELLENT thread and post.

Love this. That 70 yard shot is something that sort of gives me fits from time to time. I think the key to the whole thing is short backswing and weight forward. Love the video, but you should have done a club twirl

In an effort to bring more to the great members of THP I asked for feedback and got some. One request was for videos and 'how to hit certain shots'. This video was shot 2 years ago while in MB with the Mward at a little event called the Morgan Cup.

One thing I have always liked about Mike's game is his short game. Not so much around the greens but the little 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots that are needed to save a round. In this video, Mike is hitting 1/2 wedge shots to about a 70 yard target. To me it is one of the best example on how to play these shots. Fundamentally, he is spot on with an open stance to the target, great leg flex, weight forward, hand forward and choking down or up on the club.

Spoiler

He does something else that I see most people forget. The length of his back swing pretty much matches the length of his follow through. This allow him to accelerate through the hitting zone and make a crisp downward blow on the back of the ball. The club head never gets in front of the club head and he also holds that face very well. This mean a crisp hit and no 'roll up' the club face.

I see so many golfers take these huge back swing and then decelerate into the ball. This results in hitting it fat and missing their target by some measure. Even worse, this can cause the player to try to help the ball into the air instead of allow the club to the work. Either way, the results are not what the player wanted to see.

Also take notice of his spine angle, it never moves and that club returns to the exact spot it started. If he were to come out of his swing or lose spine angle, the result would not have been as favorable.

Recap:

1. Open stance to target, narrow stance (This is an arm swing so a narrow stance will help the hips to clear)
  8. hold the club face open ( we are not releasing the club, holding it will impart spin with a downward strike)

This shot can be done with any club in the bag. The longer the club the lower the flight of the ball will be. This is great with long irons if you need some distance but need to keep it low. I like to use this shot from 140 and in with various scoring clubs depending on the distance. Learning to match the follow back swing and follow through will serve you well, provide the rest of the setup in maintained.
Love this format, especially illy the "whys" in the recap! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Is this the same thing as a punch shot like I use from the trees? If not how us it different? For example I can hit a punch 6 iron just fine, but when I consiously try to half swing a 6 iron it ends in disaster, but maybe my punch is actually a half swing?

Spoiler

Recap:

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Panda Tip: Half wedge shots featuring Mward

Love this. That 70 yard shot is something that sort of gives me fits from time to time. I think the key to the whole thing is short backswing and weight forward. Love the video, but you should have done a club twirl

I think it was cut short. Pretty sure I did..

Edit: watched it again, don't think I liked it. I'll see what I can do in a month for you friend :)

I had two of these shots from about 50 yards today. Executed one perfectly and shanked the other one into the brush. I'm sure I didn't maintain that spine angle. :alien:

Thank you for the tips Tadashi!

Not a better example for these shots than Mward. -and a great guy too!

Great stuff here Panda. Thanks for the thread and refresher

Quick question though how does the set up change or the actual swing change if the lie isn't ideal? For example downhill lie or uphill lie?

Thanks

Great tip Panda!

Great stuff here Panda. Thanks for the thread and refresher

Quick question though how does the set up change or the actual swing change if the lie isn't ideal? For example downhill lie or uphill lie?

Thanks

I can kinda help with that: if the lie sucks, you need to make adjustments for sure. Downhill lie, you need to really focus on staying down on the shot or you'll thin it. It's going to come out lower so play for it. Uphill, exact opposite. It's going to come out higher, and you need to adjust your body so you don't stick it right into the ground and hit it heavy.

Back