2015 Ben Hogan FT15 Irons and TK15 Wedges: THP Review Thread

I think these are gorgeous, but man they look small!!! I wouldn't want anything longer than 5i, and honesty I'd be a little scared to hit that too. the wedge claims are very interesting. I love a flighted down wedge shot, and I like the idea of the club design doing it for me instead of a manipulated swing. can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5i you say?

20150606_121650_zpsozapyver.jpg

That is exactly what I have seen. I know we share similar thoughts on the matter, but the subtle design did not offer me much more in terms of anything perimeter. Glad you liked the looks of them though, as I know many find them absolutely stunning.

I'm about to put Lotte to bed and plan on doing a full post here in a bit, but yep, heel/toe...oof. They're pretty, as unique a take on an MB as you can have really IMO, and they ARE MB' as far as I'm concerned, I'll stand that ground firmly.

You should have seen the locals who "played nothing but Hogan growing up" freaking out about them, was a big tourney and I went to the end of the range next to the net just to swing and I had a LOT of gentlemen come over to look and ask. Luckily I was also hitting the ball well while they were looking LOL.

Hawk and Jman I am interested to know what your experience with the sole/turf interaction with the Hogans are as they are supposed to have similar bounce(v sole) characteristics as the Srixon irons. After seeing the photos though it seems as though the Hogans have a much narrower sole. Do you think the Hogans might match up (sole thickness wise) more with the z945's? or the z745's?

More like 945 IMO. They are MB's.

One thing I will ALWAYS give TK credit for, is from Eidolon to SCOR to Hogan the V-Sole WORKS. Its no wonder we are seeing it in other clubs out there, or at least versions of it.

Brilliant.

It would take some time to remember the numbers, but I suspect it could become pretty easy to do.

Yeppers, wipes right off too if need be. Local shop has a set and recommended I do it. Smart.

OK, so, these irons, where to start...

I know that I should probably wait until tomorrow for the sake of eyes since Sat nights are usually a bit quiet, but Lotte has given me some time to my thoughts and I figure why not now?

I worked my way all the way through the set today on the range, yes, all 11 clubs, as well as some time with the wedges on partial shots and chipping as well. Time is clearly needed for finite thoughts, but its always fun to throw up whats in my noggin as is "marinates" if you will. EARLY thoughts, but thoughts nonetheless.

Looks:

Some adore the look, I know. I think they are good looking, not the best MB I have seen, but to me they fit the name that is on them in terms of they look simple and they look like they take a certain swing to really get the most out of them. Same finish as the SCOR wedges, its good looking, should wear well, glare won't be an issue with the satin face.

At address, you see quickly why I will keep referring to them as MB's. That may be counter-intuitive from what the press on them are and the emphasis they have put on their weight movement and "indentations" through the set to do so, but its true. Compact heel-to-toe, thin topline, and a thin sole. What you see is very much what you get here. Some will love the look, some will be OK with it, and some will be scared of it, it hits all points.

Feel/Sound:

I'll not be using the terms "buttery" because I loathe that term, rather, the Hogan irons simply feel and sound like a forged MB iron to me. There is a resonating solid nature to them but at the same time you can get that instance of nothingness on the button with them. They aren't overly clicky, they also aren't muted, and when you miss you KNOW that you missed both by the feeling to the hands as well as the sound change. They were pretty addicting for me, but they also quickly let me know when I was getting overconfident with them. I know a lot of talk for those who have hit them are on how amazing they feel, to me, they're nice, they're better than the SCOR's felt to me somehow, but they aren't world altering...but...they don't have to be or need to be in my mind.

Ball-Flight:

Was most curious with this aspect, especially given the pairing with the Tour-V in X. The 3 and 4 irons off the deck and tee were 100% mid, it was a pretty flight but they were just as I anticipated, the most difficult of the set to really get airborn like I like to see in the long irons. That said, I haven't hit a 3i in a long while, so maybe time will change some of that, but hitting into greens with what I saw today would be risky business.

The 5i and on, it was a totally different scene. Mid-high ball flight as I worked through them all and some really pretty ascent and descent angles. Much higher than I expected honestly, will take getting to the course with them to be certain, but I predict no issues holding greens.

Distance:

I recorded a LOT of info on these, and I'm not going to bore anyone with the minutia of it, but going through on averages today for each club on pure strikes it settled to this for me:

3i/20 - 209
4i/24 - 198
5i/28 - 185
6i/32 - 175
7i/36 - 167
8i/40 - 157
9i/44 - 146
PW/48 - 138
AW/52 - 125
SW/56 - 114
LW/60 - 102

Now, keep in mind, not all sample sizes were the same, I worked the 8/P more than anything else today, but I hit everything. Honestly right at what I expected to see in distance and in ball speed numbers on solid strikes, slightly less than my players CB's (1/2 club or less), but a good bit less than some of my true tech packed irons like the XRP. What will be key is tracking these numbers ON the course with higher-end golf balls and seeing how that effects them. But, so far, its what I expected.

Forgiveness:

Now, I know some are sitting in the realm of wondering or just hoping they are easier to hit than they look. On the button, ball speeds were solid. Misses high and low on the face were penalized on average 14-18 yards for me, and misses heel and toe side were penalized even more, to the point that there were a few shots I would just shake my head at on course in angst with my swing. But lets all be honest, they aren't going to be the most forgiving and they aren't designed to be, they are a players iron with Ben Hogan's name on them, as such early on there is certainly a real level of demand IMO.

Looking forward to getting out more and more with them. I hope my early thoughts aren't picked apart or takes as the end all be all, they are fun, I had legitimate fun today even hitting 3i off the deck. I saw some nice things, particularly distance/ball-speed consistency on well struck shots. More time will yield ever evolving thoughts, I'm sure.

Lot of good info on the first trip out James. Do you think the height has more to do with the more traditional lofts more than club design and shaft pairing though?

Lot of good info on the first trip out James. Do you think the height has more to do with the more traditional lofts more than club design and shaft pairing though?

Thanks brother.

Eh, honestly, I think it has to do with the two lowest being a 3i and a 4i. LOL

Seriously though, by weighting through the footprint size alone, they have moved the mass around through the set, but there is only so much that can be done with so much mass, ya know? I should add, the wedges, I was hitting some very pretty towering shots with. Its an interesting thing, I'm really most curious to see what Hawk does with the long irons with the 680 option in them and what Dan does with them given his freaky-goodness.

I couldn't take it anymore and picked up a set today.

I like the looks of them'

Awesome thoughts James. Love honest feedback

nice thoughts James...appreciate the feedback and honesty you provide. I did the hoganfit and was fitted for same shafts but in S vice X. Having a 3i and maybe even a 4i in the set is a bit scary thought.

nice thoughts James...appreciate the feedback and honesty you provide. I did the hoganfit and was fitted for same shafts but in S vice X. Having a 3i and maybe even a 4i in the set is a bit scary thought.
Yeah, the 3i is daunting because not only is it a 3i, its a THIN 3i, I mean just look...
e79f9afb37b36c7353ea1cf9417f44aa.jpg

a8a9a2cc8c079ff15d16ddf35a1e6c8b.jpg

That said, I'd bet most who actually. Do pick up a set start at the 28* or 5i range.

Yeah, the 3i is daunting because not only is it a 3i, its a THIN 3i, I mean just look...

That said, I'd bet most who actually. Do pick up a set start at the 28* or 5i range.

My hands sting just looking at that picture.

2015 Ben Hogan FT15 Irons and TK15 Wedges: THP Review Thread

Hogan has had a history of being some of the best looking irons out there. The trend continues. Looking forward to the testers' feedback, as the company right up about why they design how they do has my interest.

Have you guys all picked up iron head covers yet? Gotta keep those things purdy

Last edited:
phenomenal write-up, jman (expect nothing less). interesting that the wedges were "towering," since the company seems to suggest these are designed to be lower-flighted.

sounds like they're great irons, but not "game-changers" in this category.

Nice write up James, I just found myself going through their online fitting program and I must say I am intrigued. I have to find a place local that has these.

Hmmm..

My hands sting just looking at that picture.

LOL, my club pro told me I better have ibuprofen ready when I headed out to the range, surprisingly I got on with the 3 wiggle pretty well yesterday.

Hogan has had a history of being some of the best looking irons out there. The trend continues. Looking forward to the testers' feedback, as the company right up about shy they design how they do has my interest.

Have you guys all picked up iron head covers yet? Gotta keep those things purdy

Heck no. Irons are workhorses, I let them show that.

phenomenal write-up, jman (expect nothing less). interesting that the wedges were "towering," since the company seems to suggest these are designed to be lower-flighted.

sounds like they're great irons, but not "game-changers" in this category.

Keep in mind, I was not trying to flight the ball at all yesterday. Plus, with a wedge the trajectory comment they make is more about a flatter trajectory and not lower flight since you still need them to hold greens but without some type of adjustment in all wedges by design it would be easy for users to balloon all of their wedges. So, when it talks about the flighting down, think flatter, not lower. Make sense?

Nice write up James, I just found myself going through their online fitting program and I must say I am intrigued. I have to find a place local that has these.

Hmmm..

I thought about Jimmy, and I thought about you when I unpacked these. True story.

I thought about Jimmy, and I thought about you when I unpacked these. True story.

It's nice to be thought of dude, thank you.

I'm hoping the indentation isn't as big as it looks, I'd like to get to the point again in my game where I could bang a forged 2 or 3 iron around again and know exactly what it's going to do.

Jman and JB mention this in the thread and it's exactly what I experienced when I demoed them a couple months back- they need a good swing to yield the best results, and anything short of that is penalized a bit as far as distance lost... They look great to me, but I don't hit the sweet spot on my iron shots all of the time. I couldn't play these as I'd constantly be losing 5-15 yards on my misses. These will be a great choice for some, but I'll have to wait on a set of theirs that has more forgiveness built-in.

It's nice to be thought of dude, thank you.

I'm hoping the indentation isn't as big as it looks, I'd like to get to the point again in my game where I could bang a forged 2 or 3 iron around again and know exactly what it's going to do.

Its really not, yes you can tell it changes in size/depth through the set, but its nothing out of line or awkward when in hand. It was one of the things I was most curious to see in person as well.

e79f9afb37b36c7353ea1cf9417f44aa.jpg

if i were to get a set of these i think 24* is where i would start. as stated the 3i is small and probably not suited for me. the 4i would be something i would probably want to hit first but more than likely a utility iron would be my 3i and 4i.

that 3i does look gorgeous though

Jman and JB mention this in the thread and it's exactly what I experienced when I demoed them a couple months back- they need a good swing to yield the best results, and anything short of that is penalized a bit as far as distance lost... They look great to me, but I don't hit the sweet spot on my iron shots all of the time. I couldn't play these as I'd constantly be losing 5-15 yards on my misses. These will be a great choice for some, but I'll have to wait on a set of theirs that has more forgiveness built-in.

Honestly, I don't think we ever see TK/Hogan put out a true cavity back design, that isn't their aim here with the lines. I don't necessarily agree with their take on a lot of the things, but I respect that they are adamant about it and stick to their guns on it no matter what.

Great 1st impressions Jman, it seems these could be clubs you could score well with on the days it all came together. To me that is the issue with any MB's when you are on they are a thing of beauty, but on those average days they kick your butt.

These irons look more like "your fathers" blades rather than what we've been seeing over the last few years. It's interesting, and I think I understand their intentions of retaining some of that old school Ben Hogan appeal. What I look forward to seeing, is whether these irons are for a decent range of golfers, or whether they ought to be reserved to the golfer that works the ball all over the course, and hits the center of the face.

What also intrigues me, is their design that cuts a lot of the weight out of the center of the head and pushes it towards the toe. That, to me, suggests their intent to expand the handicap range to support misses away from center, but I would have to think pure center contact would be mildly underwhelming in comparison to other bladed irons.

Everything I've ever read about a golf club suggests the latter, but I'll look forward to the unbiased confirmations.

I'll be curious to see what you think of all that, I know I've got and have put up some thoughts on most of it for sure, will be fun to see if you and Hawk see similar.

I'll be curious to see what you think of all that, I know I've got and have put up some thoughts on most of it for sure, will be fun to see if you and Hawk see similar.

I've enjoyed your early thoughts a LOT, James.

It's nice to see companies utilizing the V shaped sole more and more. Truly a smart decision to support turf interaction, and I think it widens the range of golfers in that design alone by a couple handicap strokes.

I've enjoyed your early thoughts a LOT, James.

It's nice to see companies utilizing the V shaped sole more and more. Truly a smart decision to support turf interaction, and I think it widens the range of golfers in that design alone by a couple handicap strokes.
With you completely on the sole. Hell, the scors were when I started wondering why more don't utilize it or something like it.

This really is going to be a fun thread.

With you completely on the sole. Hell, the scors were when I started wondering why more don't utilize it or something like it.

This really is going to be a fun thread.

I like their wording. "The most versatile sole in the game."

Realistically speaking, I think it's hard to argue with it.... Unless a company has gone tour grind all the way through the bag hahahaha!

Back