Under a tree and deep into (say a large evergreen) where do you drop?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I couldn't really find an exact answer for this.
And so you hit into a tree :(
You know how large the base/bottom branches of a large evergreen can be and in fact its entire diameter can be quite large. Your ball is on the ground and deep inside/under the tree and nearer the trunk of the tree which of course has ground hugging branches all around its large diameter. Basically you can barely get to your ball, let alone play it. So you want to take an unplayable lie. But from where do you do this?

A club length fro where it lies isn't even close to being playable nor even are you capable of dropping one there. I don't believe at all this is the same thing as getting relief fro an obstruction as that is a different think I think.

So other than going back to the tee, which not practical what can you do. I assume most would simply take a penalty and drop in a not technically correct place and move on but what is the real correct thing here?

From https://www.about-golf.org/rules-of-golf-options-for-unplayable-lies/

If you find your ball in play, but in a circumstance where you are not able to make a swing or advance the ball, then you are always entitled to claim an unplayable lie. Under this rule, you incur a one-stroke penalty, but are permitted to take relief from your troubling situation.

There are three specific options when taking an unplayable lie. The first option is to go back to the point from where you played your last shot. The second option is to drop your ball within two club lengths of where the ball came to rest, without moving closer to the hole. The third and final option is to take the flagstick and the point where your ball came to rest, and move back away from the hole in a straight line as far as you want. These are your only three options when your ball is in a position where you cannot make a swing, or otherwise choose to take relief.

In summary, if you find your ball in a position where you cannot make a swing, or choose to take relief, you have the option to claim an unplayable lie. The penalty for doing so is one stroke. Your three options include going back to the point where you played your previous stroke, taking a drop within two club lengths, or moving straight back anywhere along an extension of a line between the flagstick and where your ball originally came to rest.

I don't have any issue with someone tossing it off to the side though. Going back in a straight line could be all but impossible sometimes!

funny smalls, and thanks. I actually had read that while searching but for some reason it ddnt quite make sense to me at the time I read it. But I se it now. Thanks again

Hopefully you can find an open space going straight back because hitting from those trees is hard and rarely turns out well.

Just drop it next to the tree and take your penalty stroke. You're not on tour. If you were, you'd get a sweet drop anyway. They seem to.

Just drop it next to the tree and take your penalty stroke. You're not on tour. If you were, you'd get a sweet drop anyway. They seem to.

I hear ya , but still I like to know what the proper thing to do is and unless its just not practical for sake of pace to do so then that's what I want to do. I like to play as much by the rules as possible especially when its easy enough to do so. I like my cap to be as honest as it can be.

Option #4, get down on hands and knees, crawl to ball, hack at it with mangled swing.

If you were playing with me, I would probably just suggest drop it where you want but take the penalty, or go anywhere back on the path line, and drop from there.

Back