Your top 10 shots of your golf career

1. Hole in one (105 yards, 2001)
2. Final approach shot in our high school district tournament for birdie (135 out to 5 feet, 2007)
3. THP Lake Charles Invitational: Hole 14 at Contraband Bayou; we drove the ball in the water, I hit an approach shot close and Capt. Dru made the putt. Knew we won the tournament after that hole (2014)
4. Longest hole out: 145 yards, Sugar Creek Golf Club (2006)
5. First non par 3 eagle, Jersey Meadow Golf Club hole 1 (3-iron to 3 feet)
6. Tour 18 Houston, hole 18 (drained a 50 foot putt to beat my dad by 1)
7. Final putt of college intramural tournament from ~10 feet, Westwood Park Golf Course (first and only individual tournament win, 2011)
8. Drive on number 4 during Adams practice round, Cowboys Golf Club (drove it to 10 feet, made the eagle putt, 2014)
9. Final chip in first round of 2014 Bridgestone Invitational, PGA National-Palmer (pitch from a gnarly lie over a bunker to 2 feet)
10. First 10 holes in final round of 2014 Bridgestone Invitational, PGA National-Champion (team (DawgDaddy) had 5 birdies in first 10 holes; holes 2, 4, 5, 7, 10)

1 through 4 we holes-in one;
5 would be a hole out eagle dring a member/guest
6 was a chip-in to beat my arch rival during a member guest;
7 through ten were nervous first tee shots in front of crowds at Pebble Beach, Muirfield, St. Andrews and Turnburry.

I can't think of 10, but I did have a hole out from 165yrd 7 iron that would probably win. Other than that, a couple awesome drives, putts, and chip ins come to mind.

I can only come up with two:

2 down with 2 to go in the 2014 Grandaddy:
Chip in win.
Chip in half.
(Still can't believe that wasn't good enough).

Oh…and once there was this bridge in OH/PA…

I can only come up with two:

2 down with 2 to go in the 2014 Grandaddy:
Chip in win.
Chip in half.
(Still can't believe that wasn't good enough).

Oh…and once there was this bridge in OH/PA…

eff that bridge, total garbage

You spelled "strategic" wrong.

And my birdie putt dropping wasn't so bad either.

whatever, pretty sure you had 15 clubs in the bag or something along those lines leading to a DQ.

Luckily Ddec and I took care of you in NY last May

Top of the list is my hole in one

After that it will have to be a 3rd shot on a par five that was blind. I had no clue where it went & after looking for a while we walked up to the hole and it was in the cup.

Other than that I've had a few putts over 30' that I've drained.

1. Hole out for par, from 185, on a 460 par 4 after putting my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shot into a forced carry river running across the fairway.
  2. Near ace in a tournament on a $25K HIO hole, the day after the above hole out. One of my teammates also witnessed that hole out. On the tee box, I looked at him and said, “This is the exact yardage and wind as #15 yesterday”. The HIO Verifier was getting out of his chair as it rolled towards the hole. It lipped out and ended up 1’ past the cup.
  3. Closest ever to an ace was on a par 3 course that I grew up on. #8, 86 yards, the ball hits the flag and stops 6” away.
  4. 1[SUP]st[/SUP] tee shot at the THP 2010 Fall Outing at PGA National, on the Champions course, home of The Honda Classic. The first time in front of a bunch of THPer’s. Striped it down the middle.
  5. Closest to the Pin at the 2013 THP Dallas Invitational (sponsored by Callaway) on #17 from about 180, finished 4’ away, in front of a my group, the group behind us, along with JB/Morgan standing near the green.
  6. Not a shot I hit. But, at the 2013 THP Dallas Invitational, after finishing our round, we all caught up with Team Callaway, aka #ZOOCREW (Harry, #HashtagChad, ScottyG, Matt) to watch them finish. On the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] hole, Matt was on the left edge of the fairway and he asked us what the play was. This hole has a pond on the right side and a bunker in the front/right side of the green. I told him that the green slopes back and right to a back right pin, tucked behind the bunker. Hit something low to the front and let it release and roll out. He hits it exactly like that, ends up about 15’ for bird and asks me to be his full-time caddy.

I can only think of 3 "best shots".

I was playing in a compant scramble. I forget what hole but it was a par 3 at Cooks Creek (no longer called that). Hole in one scored a 2 year lease on a new Corvette. I had played poorly up to that point. Grabbed my 4i. One of the girls asked if they could take pictures during my shot. I said sure. I hit what had to be the purest shot for me ever. My ball sailed over the water, hit the green and rolled probably 4 feet from the hole. Ball mark was 18 inches from the hole.

Hole #2 at Pleasant Valley on their par 3 course. It's a blind shot over a pond and a hill. You can barely see the top of the flag stick from the tee box. Hit my PW and watched it land close. I was excited. Thought I had my first hole in one. Got to the green to see my ball 6" from a HIO. Ball mark was about a foot from the hole. Got my first birdie that day.

Hole #3 at Pleasant Valley on their short course (different day). Hit my tee shot short of the green. Chipped in for birdie.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

whatever, pretty sure you had 15 clubs in the bag or something along those lines leading to a DQ.

Luckily Ddec and I took care of you in NY last May
Only because I can't hit a wedge from…anywhere.

And you stole my belt.

1. This past October, hole out for eagle at Carmel Mtn Ranch, #9.

2. Hole out for birdie from about 40, from tall grass by the car path, Macoby Run GC #7.

3. Same course, different day. Fifteen footer on a punched green for my first ever birdie.

4. SC,DD. Second hole. Cut a five iron low runner from under/behind a tree onto the green. Made par. 2-4 were all ca. 1997.

Have a few par 3 tee shots to gimmie distance and some hole out pitches to fill in the bottom.

Yesterday I holed out a 9 iron from 130 yards for birdie!!

Probably my best shot ever due to the circumstances. Tee shot went wide right and landed a foot short of going into water but was in some long fescue. Then I hit a 7 iron out of it and had to clear the water to get back to the fairway BUT it hit the top of a tree and I thought it plunked in the water. Got around to the other side and noticed the ball had dropped to the fairway (it was a branch that landed in the water). Then hit the 9 iron straight but thin and thought it was going long. Saw it land on the green (with sun in my face) and saw it slowly rolling and disappear. Thought it rolled off the back of the green. Got up to the green and didn't see the ball, slowly crept up to the hole and discovered my ball staring back at me. :)

Also December golf is RARE in this area and some courses opened back up due to some "warmer" weather. It was a toasty 42 degrees!

In no particular order but stand out to me.

1. First par ever. First round of golf with buddy who begged me to play golf with him. I was a home run hitter in slow pitch softball and he always wanted me to try golf. I thought golf was the dumbest game in the world. I used to tell him, "Why would anybody want to stand a quarter of a mile from a little hole in the ground and try to knock a ball into it. We played the nine hole Mayville Golf Club on a cold windy spring morning. 9th hole, 203 yard par 3 and I hit a beautiful 3 iron to about 12 feet and two putted for par. I'll never forget the feeling of hitting that ball and watching it seek the middle of the green. Probably the only good shot I hit all day but it was the one that got me hooked on this game. This would have been in the spring of 1972

2. First eagle. I hit my drive on the 12th hole at Edgewood golf course into the sand trap in front of the green. The drive was close to 300 yards and this was in 1973 with a Ram wooden driver. Now at his time I am a true hack, can hit it a ton but no clue what direction it is going. So I go in the bunker with my sand wedge, skull the ball out and it is a line drive going 40 yards or more over the green, except it hits the pin dead on and drops into the hole for eagle 2. I go to pluck this miracle out of the hole and my buddies are laying on the ground laughing so hard they can't stand up.

3. Tee shot on par 3 hole #3 at Mauna Kea golf course. We are on vacation in Hawaii and the 3rd hole at Mauna Kea is one of the most beautiful and most photographed holes in golf. I still hit it a ton, but now with a consistent slice, a big slice. The hole is just over 200 yards so I take 3 iron, aim left, and take my swing. The ball starts out climbing over the ocean and curves about 50 yards right on its way to the hole and settles on the green and I make par. For years I had the photo of myself on the tee box with the hole in the background so I could brag about making par on it.

4. Chip shot on hole 12 at Edgewood. My approach goes just right of the green and rolls part way down the slope and comes to rest where it can barely be seen in the rough. As I get ready to hit my approach I see right between me and the green is about a 40' oak tree. I have no shot to the green as the lower branches block my shot. So I grab my sand wedge, open it up, swing as hard as I can and the ball goes about 60' almost straight up and comes down on the green. Best part is, it is on our Men's Club night and hole 12 is near the clubhouse and it was our last hole of the night. So there were a bunch of guys already grilling their steaks standing around who were watching this idiot try this shot. So it was the talk of the night and many guys were going down there and trying to pull it off and couldn't. So there it was, the flop shot, 20 years before anyone heard of Phil Mickelson and one of the luckiest shots I ever hit.

5. Second hole in one. Hit 8 iron on hole 8 of Grand Forks Country Club, ball bounced twice and rolled right into the hole. Fun to watch.

6. First hole in one. Hit 3 iron dead straight into the wind on par 3 8th hole at Dickinson Heart River Golf Course. Shot looked good but could not see hole. Some guys in the fairway on hole 7 started yelling that it went in and sure enough it did, for my first hole in one.

7. Tee shot on hole 1, Town and Country Club, St Paul, MN. I was invited to play by a Manufacturer's rep when I was a buyer for a midwest home improvement retailer in Mpls-St. Paul. Town and Country club was the first golf course in the state of Minnesota so this was a very special treat for me. It was men's day so there were several people around the tee box and I drilled it. The hole is about 325 and this was about 1975 or 76 and I had Macgregor 693T persimmon woods. Well the ball rolled past the guy hitting his chip shot on the front of the green stopped on the green. I was still a hack, and probably shot 100 for the day but I tried to play it very nonchalant as I put the head cover back on my driver. Two holes late when we were in adjacent fairways the guy who was chipping in front of the green came over and wanted the member I was playing with me to introduce him to this guy who hit it like that. He assumed I was an aspiring young pro and not a hack. I apologized for hitting it so close to him and that was how I met Warren Spannaus, then the Attorney General of Minnesota.

8. Chip in on 18 at Grand Forks Country Club. I now am no longer a hack and have a 4 handicap. I am one over par on the 18th tee box. Hit a good drive and my second is just in front of the green. Hit a nice 7 iron chip that rolls smoothly up and right in the hole for birdie, and my first even par round.

9. Chip on 17 at Edgewood Golf Course. My buddy and I are in the finals of our Men's Club season long four ball tournament and we're 1 down, playing the par five 17th. My buddy hit his third in the water and is out of the hole, I hit mine long over the green and our opponent is 6 feet with a birdie putt to win the match. So I carefully go over my fourth. I am in back of the hole, down the slope and cannot see the pin. I survey carefully hoping to get it close and our opponent misses his putt and we play one more hole. I hit the ball, it looks nice, and as I start to scramble up the hill and ask my buddy if it is close he says it's in the hole. Sure enough it went in for birdie, our opponent misses his putt, match even, and we win on 18.

10. Putt on 18 at Detroit Country Club. Playing in Senior first flight finals of the Pine to Palm golf tournament. I've been 1 or 2 down most of the day and then I birdie 12 and 15 to go one up. Top my drive to lose 16 and win par 3 17th with a par. Now I am above the hole on the apron looking at a very slippery downhill 20 footer for birdie. My opponent is 4 feet below the hole with a straight putt to birdie, win the hole and send the match into extras. My son is caddying for me and we read it to be 2 balls left. I carefully get ready and stroke the ball. If I miss, it cannot stop and will roll about 10 feet past. The ball takes the line curves into the heart and I win the match. It was a very satisfying feeling in a tournament I dearly love.

Those are my 10 and I had a lot of fun going through and trying to pick 10 that stood out during this now 43 year love affair I have with what I once thought was the stupidest game ever.

I've got some.

A nice little fade on a short par 4 which found the green and stopped 4 feet from the hole for my first and only eagle.

Three 30-yard pitches which went in for birdie on three separate occasions. Two of those shots guaranteed me a place in the tournament I was currently playing.

A few draws which I had to carve around trees and finding the green.

These are the times when it's great to be a golfer.

I guess I'm more like a poker player than a golfer. I remember the bad much more than the good. Plus I've only been playing a year or so, so there's not a lot of good to report.

That said, I suppose I could contribute a few.

A chip in from a green side bunker (during a round that ended up being the highest score I've ever posted).

A 25ish foot putt to card my first birdie.

A hybrid shot I was just trying to keep low to get out from under some trees that went about 180 and rolled up onto the green.

1. HIO in my last college tournament on my last hole. 9 iron form 180 down hill two hopes in the cup

That's awesome. What a way to go out.

I don't have 10 shots that really stick out, but I do have story about the closest I have come to a hole in one.

On a long par 3, 210ish straight as an arrow no traps or anything. I hit my 2 iron and it was perfectly on line with the pin. I watch it land then jump 30 feet in the air and then come to a final rest about 10 feet behind the hole. The lip is so mangled that emergency surgery is required. I hit my putt and it gets rejected by the repaired part of the lip. My almost hole in one turned into a par.

Hmmmm... I remember most of my shots, but... not sure if I can pick 10 as the best. I'll try, though!

1. Has to be my hole-in-one in 2010. It came in a tournament and the first round I ever broke 90. Short little hole... maybe 120 yards, down a slight hill. I hit a wedge that landed right where I wanted it to... skipped forward a few feet and then found the bottom of the cup. Because of the location of the hole, it was witnessed by quite a few people as it was almost in an amphitheater. Pretty cool memory there!

2. After a solid drive on a reachable par 5, I hit a hybrid to about 9 feet. What made it one of my all-time best shots was that it came off exactly how I had envisioned it. There's a pond off to the right of the green that cuts out in front of the front-right corner of the green. That's where the pin was located. I had to hit a pretty big cut to get the angle to the pin I wanted the ball to come in at, so I started the ball probably 40 yards left of the pin and it faded back exactly as I planned. The hole was about 15 feet on and I landed at the very front of the green, hopped once and just stopped. I made the 9 footer for eagle (only one of 2015)!

3. Back in 2004, I was playing in a tournament and was having a pretty decent round (by my standards back then). I hit a drive that got a horrible kick to the right and into a fairway trap. During this tournament, we were playing an individual stroke play format and also a team format. I was not going to win the individual format, but our team was playing pretty well. I needed to make par on this hole to have any shot. I was about 135 yards out, in the bunker, and the green was uphill from where my ball was. I never really played well out of bunkers... but especially not out of fairway bunkers. I happened to nip this one perfectly and watched it settle about 10 feet above the hole. I missed the birdie putt, but made the par putt. I believe we finished second by 2 strokes in the team format, but... that shot was a thrill for me.

4. In a casual round on a course I had played many, many times before, I hit a solid tee shot on the 2nd hole, a par 5. A road runs down the entire left side of the hole, and in all the times I've played it, I had never reached the green in 2. This day, I left myself about 225 to the hole, which was up front. I hit a low bullet that looked like it was on a string. It stayed impossibly straight the entire time and finished about 18 feet behind the hole. I missed the eagle putt, but 'settled' for a birdie.

5. Same course, next hole, different round. Typically, if I hit a good drive (again, by my standards) on this hole, I'd be left with about 170 to the green. It was a fairly long hole for my game. On this day, I hit a weak fade around a tree that was hanging over the fairway on the right side. I found the fairway, but I had about 200 yards to the hole. I had just started using hybrids, so I decided to try one of those. I hit a laser that left me no more than 5 feet for a birdie. I sank that for what I believe is my only birdie on that hole.

6. Again, same course... but this time, the first hole. This was way back in a practice round with my high school team. My buddy and I got paired together for a practice round in some pretty wicked wind. After hitting a mediocre tee shot, I was left with a long (215+) approach into the green. There was a heavy wind blowing strong from the left. I played with a really bad slice at that time, so I pretty much aimed 75 yards left of the green with a 5 wood. Watching that ball curve was crazy... but watching it hit the green and stop inside 8 feet was even crazier. It hit the left edge of the green and rolled probably 80 feet towards the hole. I made a birdie there.

7. My first birdie ever. It was in a high school match on a par 3 that was essentially an 'island' but instead of being surrounded by water, it was surrounded by sand. I hit a 7 iron short and into the sand in front of the green. It was a pretty severe incline from the bunker to the green. I skulled my wedge out of there and was prepared to go play out of the bunker at the back of the green. It hit into the slope in front of me, which took SOME speed off of it, but not much... and then I heard the 'crack' of the ball hitting the flag stick and everybody celebrating. Not the way I had imagined my first birdie, but... still... it was a birdie! I didn't get to see it, but they said it may have gone out of bounds if it didn't hit the stick. Luckily, it did... and the ball dropped.

I have others, but... they aren't quite as memorable. Good chips or pitches... crazy double or triple breaking putts... but, most were recovery shots. I believe every shot is memorable... some just come to mind easier than others.

:p

CY

Back