The Waffle House Thread

Love me some waffle house

8055d36cb2c74ba72cbda4df90f6954f.jpg

So this is happening

I may or may not have google searched Waffle House locations in the greater auburn/Opelika area....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may or may not have google searched Waffle House locations in the greater auburn/Opelika area....

There are several, and many of them knew me by name 10 years ago.

Coming down from the airport you will also pass a waffle king, that is worth a try as well.

33d330a9de89d5fdee97b94786967b22.jpg

Waffle house sooo good

I gotta say it
OVERRATED!
It’s good, but, not that great, the waffles are well, tiny, but the grits are good, coffee Ehhh, average at best

I gotta say it
OVERRATED!
It’s good, but, not that great, the waffles are well, tiny, but the grits are good, coffee Ehhh, average at best
If you don't appreciate their waffles I have to question your overall judgement. Everytime else can be debated but the waffles are phenomenal. Best non Belgian waffles ever.

If you don't appreciate their waffles I have to question your overall judgement. Everytime else can be debated but the waffles are phenomenal. Best non Belgian waffles ever.

Agree - I don’t think I’ve ever had a $2.5 pecan waffle that was overrated lol

Small shout out to Waffle House during Hurricane Irma. I was on my way home from Orlando that Monday and everything was closed until I reached Haines City and noticed a Waffle House with a bunch of cars. I arrive and the line is out the door 15-20 people just to get inside. About a half an hour wait until I went in and got the Grand Slam but they had no bacon. I hadn't eaten much all day and it was around 4:00 so I was starving.

Crushed the meal and haven't had it since. Not a place I try to eat often but on that day it hit the spot.

Small shout out to Waffle House during Hurricane Irma. I was on my way home from Orlando that Monday and everything was closed until I reached Haines City and noticed a Waffle House with a bunch of cars. I arrive and the line is out the door 15-20 people just to get inside. About a half an hour wait until I went in and got the Grand Slam but they had no bacon. I hadn't eaten much all day and it was around 4:00 so I was starving.

Crushed the meal and haven't had it since. Not a place I try to eat often but on that day it hit the spot.
They're there for you when you need them.

In 1989 when my family was moving from North Carolina to south Florida, everything was packed up before our move on Dec. 27th. We ended up having Christmas dinner at Waffle House that year, and I'll never forget it, nor the special place grits holds in my heart. The bacon, waffles and syrup have a place in my arteries, as would be expected.

We ended up having Christmas dinner at Waffle House that year, and I'll never forget it, nor the special place grits holds in my heart. The bacon, waffles and syrup have a place in my arteries, as would be expected.
Haha that is awesome. I am a big fan of grits from Cracker Barrell, I have not tried it from WH.

The waffle and runny eggs are a staple of Waffle House though.

Just ready a news story that a dead frog was served in the glass of ice water at a WH in Tallahassee. I can say the nearest one to me is um...well lets say the floor is always slippery and the counter is always sticky. I'll stick to BE or CB.

Gotta love Troy Merritt starting his day off with the breakfast of champions.

Gotta love Troy Merritt starting his day off with the breakfast of champions.

I don't even drink coffee but that looks good.

e68e52832acd3a9639bc09e5ca7db38e.heic

Triple Peppered Hashbrowns please!

All-Star Special

I personally dislike Waffle House. The best thing I can say about it is that it's cheap

Just say no.... I think I have only eaten at a WH once, and that was for a Grand Opening -- so the place was the cleanest it was ever going to be. Beyond that, I have sat (not eating) with people who ate there and I have seen some very sketchy things at different locations in the DFW area. Bugs, creatures, questionable "practices" by waitstaff / cooks, store-clearing brawls, and what I am 99% certain was a child being conceived at the WH counter can all be checked of my WH Bingo card.

As a musician, WH has been a staple of my life for the last 35 years. There is no better place to eat at 3am after a gig (although, White castle is a close 2nd).

Besides breakfast, their lunch menu is quite good, too.

Only bad experiences I've ever had were all patron related, and those are few.

Lol! I NEVER get to eat there. Not because I don't like them but because the Lady Smiter says "ewww, they're gross!" There's none in my town so the only time we see them is on a trip of some sort. Which is about the only time we hang out together.

I personally look at them fondly as I pass one on the interstate on the way to our destination. If I had a dollar for every time I reached one right on the verge of passing out at 4am as a 18-22 year old, well.... I could buy at least a sleeve of any premium ball out there. Ha. It's been at least a dozen years since I crossed their greasy doors and ordered me a load of greasy food. I'll have to change that this year. My kids have NEVER been to one. All they know is "mom thinks they're gross". I'll have to educate them soon. It's been so long but I think I remember the terms "covered and smothered" in relation to their hash browns?

I'm not sure what her problem with the place is. She likes stupid IHOP (or whatever stupid name they have for it now and it's crappy food). This here isn't some fancy international house. This is simply a Waffle House. You can order a heart attack, or a regular order with a side of heart attack. Either way I'm in. My kids have been denied of one of life's pleasures long enough. She can stay home and read a book or quilt or whatever it is she likes to do. The kids and I are heading to this house of waffles very soon.

Closest one to me is a 6 hour drive. I want to open one in my area but the franchisee arrangement is a tough one.

Yup! When I owned a grocery store in Columbus OH as a 24-25 year old, my wife tried to get me to open Columbus OH's first IHOP since we had about 5 acres of parking lot. I got all the way through the application for a franchisee until I got to the "net worth of 2 million or more, MUST BE VERIFIABLE" box. Since I was playing with borrowed money for the most part it was a non-starter. I was worth about the reverse of that since the only part of it I had was my meager life savings at the time that I'd sunk into the business. I wasn't a huge fan of paying IIRC 7% of sales as a franchise fee either. That and having to use them and their upcharge to supply everything. I should have just checked "yes" and let the chips fall how they were meant to be, lol.

Man I was full of some crazy ideas back then. Too bad none of them took off. Columbus now has several and all seem to be doing great. The store has long since sold and I enjoy putting my hours in and letting someone else worry about how the 30k rent and 20k a month loan payment is getting paid.

I am pretty sure I just got the stomach flu again just thinking about eating at Waffle House, yuck!

Lol! Just like at my house. My wife refuses to EVER step foot in one. I don't think she ever has been in one, but just the thought causes her to bathe in hand sanitizer. And yell at me for even thinking about going. Just think of how boring life would be without e-coli and salmonella though. It's kind of like those that eat puffer fish. Sure it might kill you. But if you arrive through it unscathed, you've lived just a little more.

Back