How many 3-putts would you have at Augusta? What's your score?

Big SoIL

Reaction score
Handicap
Watching some of the best golfers in the world struggle on the greens at Augusta the first 2 days has me wondering how many times I would 3-putt? I'm thinking it wouldn't be a stretch for a mere mortal to 3-putt on almost half the holes in the conditions and pin placements they've played in the first 2 days having never played there before.

With the windy and wet conditions, how well would you be able to score?

I'm not in the least bit confident that I could putt or score in those conditions. Everything outside of 10' is a candidate for a 3-putt in those condition, if I even hit the green. Maybe 7-8, 3-putts for me I'm thinking. If I could keep it on the same planet of 100, I think that would be a big win in my book. Maybe I'm giving the course and conditions too much credit, but it looks extremely difficult.

If I broke 100, I'd be shocked. :D

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I think I would 3 putt damn near every hole.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

12 along with 4 4+ putts. Subsequent rounds would probably get better, but that first one would be incredibly nervy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 or 6. Would be a stretch for me to break 100

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

100 seems like scratch golf on those greens. Consider the monster putt that Bubba made...He barely tapped it. Those greens have very little margin for error.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A bunch (3 putts) and a bunch (score).

All of them, basically.

I'd imagine I'd 3 putt 75% of greens my first time out assuming I don't have someone giving me the reads. And I might be underestimating.

All of them, basically.

I'd imagine I'd 3 putt 75% of greens my first time out assuming I don't have someone giving me the reads. And I might be underestimating.

Yup, agreed

The real question is how many four putts I would have!

So true. I'm thinking minimum 5 4-putts!

i think i would have at least 10-12 3-putts, maybe more.

Probably 12-14 maybe more lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I guess I should have wrote 3+putts. 4-putts on those greens are definitely on the table. Haha! Then there's always the opportunity to roll one back off the green and start over...

Not that many if I let my caddie do the reads and I asked him before every approach shot where to leave the ball. I think I would have a good chance to break 90 one round if I had a 2 or 3 rounds during my time there. From the member tees obv

I would make sure to get some practice on frozen greens to get used to the speed. No real way to get used to the slopes though.

It would be a LOT, but fun to find out. I think on some of those a 3 putt would feel like you accomplished something. :bulgy-eyes:

Having never been to Augusta, I'm sure that I would be numb from simply looking around and seeing the place. And playing it would be a magical experience and I'd claim to have three-putt every green simply to maximize my time on the course.

I really want to play the par 3 course as well. So cool how the greens funnel into one spot. Looks like a blast.

50 Putts and I would shoot 120

How many 3-putts would you have at Augusta? What's your score?

If we are talking tournament conditions, I'd probably 4 putt most holes. When I moved from the UK to CA I went from slow greens to bloody rapid ones. For the first few weeks, I looked an idiot. I think the jump to Augusta greens would be similar as my jump from UK to CA greens.

I'm thinking if i shot 120 with only a couple 4 putts I'd feel like I stole something.

I love reading these b/c most players have no clue how hard championship golf is. It reminds me a lot of Poker in that 95% overestimate how good they are. I caddied on tour for a cpl years but unfortunately never got to Augusta.
I think ur 3 putting would depend greatly on ur chipping because most of us can't hit and hold those greens and none of us are from the distances we'd be hitting approaches from unless we run it up so maybe not so many 3 putts. As far as score, I'd guess I'd shoot 90-99 from where it's being played from now.

0 they would probably all be 5 putts

I watched a nice video tour of the course earlier today, and i was thinking that a bunch of those par 4's I wouldn't be able to reach in two and would have to play them like par 5's. and there's that 240 yard par 3 which i might get to with my 3 wood but probably couldn't hold; it would be like a short par 4 for me. I couldn't go for any of the par 5's in 2... past about 520 and there's no chance for me. And then there's those huge fast sloping greens. Multiple 3 putts, maybe multiple 4 putts. I'm a decent golfer but I don't think I would break 90. I like to think I could break 100 though but who knows. I would darn sure love to try!!!!

Back