TaylorMade Golf - A Struggle At The Top?

Thanks, It was a genuine question. I will likely hit it in the next few weeks because I am curious.
I can't go quite as high as "phenomenal" but when I demo'd the club it was at least in the 'solid driver' category...or put another way, it definitely was not a SLDR dud.

I think both. Their range of offerings at the wood level is just a little too narrow IMO - the R15 is still majorly a low/forward head for the higher spin player, and the player who needs forgiveness has to go to the Aeroburner, which many will see as inferior because it's a bonded head (regardless of how good that head really is). And yes, the competition is now MUCH better - from several companies IMO, but the biggest and most obvious one is Callaway's utter transformation in the metalwood department in the last few years.

Is everyone with experience with both TM heads finding Aeroburner to be the more forgiving of the two? I must be so out of whack but whenever I've compared both I noticed the R15 to be the more forgiving offering. I also read recently where the Aero CG is the more forward of the two heads, sitting way forward, similar to the Alpha DBD. R15 was lower though, just not as forward as Aero.

Is everyone with experience with both TM heads finding Aeroburner to be the more forgiving of the two? I must be so out of whack but whenever I've compared both I noticed the R15 to be the more forgiving offering. I also read recently where the Aero CG is the more forward of the two heads, sitting way forward, similar to the Alpha DBD. R15 was lower though, just not as forward as Aero.

that is false. However the CG in the Aero Mini is closer to the front than it is in the driver.

According to some, the Aeroburner is more forward than most. According to what TaylorMade told DeanDec and I, it was further back. Not further back to be considered low and back mind you, but further than SLDR.

I don't know about more forgiving, but the R15 seemed to have been a better fit for me.

According to some, the Aeroburner is more forward than most. According to what TaylorMade told DeanDec and I, it was further back. Not further back to be considered low and back mind you, but further than SLDR.

it baffles me that there are mixed messages about the driver head like this. Esp coming from a company where CG location wasn't really talked about as much, until they came out with the SLDR.

I just walked out of GS and they have two rows filled with TM clubs going all the way back to the SLDR. The Adams area was empty. I asked and they are sold out of the New Adams blue.

I was at a big used golf store here last week and there were maybe a hundred used SLDR drivers for sale. 1 Big Bertha, that I saw.

I was at a big used golf store here last week and there were maybe a hundred used SLDR drivers for sale. 1 Big Bertha, that I saw.

Part of that is launch periods, another part of that is SLDR outsold every other driver on the market by a huge margin. And another part of that is a lot of people did not care for the driver. So its really threefold.

that is false. However the CG in the Aero Mini is closer to the front than it is in the driver.

hmmm that's strange and I'm certainly not arguing as I know you got to go to the show so you probably have more info / resources. But what I read seemed very scientific and referenced that they measured the heads using USGA measurement standards and fell inline with what my crappy swing yielded when looking at them side by side.

Right, I meant more forward than R15, not SLDR (I have no idea how it relates to SLDR)

hmmm that's strange and I'm certainly not arguing as I know you got to go to the show so you probably have more info / resources. But what I read seemed very scientific and referenced that they measured the heads using USGA measurement standards and fell inline with what my crappy swing yielded when looking at them side by side.

yeah it's strange. There is certainly some mixed signals out there on this one. I'm going off of 3 separate trips in which we met with TM about these clubs. But that's neither here nor there. I think tech talk gets us all riled up at times over things that matter very little. Hell 2 years ago I bet nobody really payed much attention to CG location. I liked the Aerobuner better for my swing, but I have heard from many who preferred the R15.

I remember seeing undercover boss with the ceo of taylor made went in and seemed like he really cared. hopefully he still is like that

I remember seeing undercover boss with the ceo of taylor made went in and seemed like he really cared. hopefully he still is like that

he's no longer the CEO of TM. In fact, they are on their 2nd CEO since his departure.

he's no longer the CEO of TM. In fact, they are on their 2nd CEO since his departure.
ouch, tough to right the ship when you keep switching cap'ns

I am sure Taylor Made would love to buy back all the dead inventory but I suspect the parent company, Adidas might feel that their sales and revenue loss was enough for now. Outside of perhaps the big box accounts their offer to now listen to smaller accounts may fall of deaf ears. Those were the guys who could not buy the goods as fast as TM was introducing it. Still I read that the new stuff is good product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with both is that the R15 is a more forgiving driver for me. I have gained a lot of distance with the R15.

No I do not think the glue was part of the issue. I personally believe that the company used tired marketing and is just falling a bit behind on the times.

This might be a dumb question, but if I'm an occasional hacker looking for a new big stick, why would I front the scratch for a new Aeroburner when I can find a Jetspeed NIP or mint used for less than a C note? Is the AB that much of an improvement?

Even if I decide the AB is love at first swing the fact that I can wait it out and see at least 50% savings after the season is going to put a big damper on the urge to splurge.

This might be a dumb question, but if I'm an occasional hacker looking for a new big stick, why would I front the scratch for a new Aeroburner when I can find a Jetspeed NIP or mint used for less than a C note? Is the AB that much of an improvement?

Even if I decide the AB is love at first swing the fact that I can wait it out and see at least 50% savings after the season is going to put a big damper on the urge to splurge.

Completely different beasts. The JetSpeed is pretty much literally an SLDR with no moveable weight, and it sold as such. The Aero, has a lot of different design features in terms of CG, the slot size/design, and aerodynamics. Having gamed them both, its not even close.

Couldn't that be said for almost every club? That's not a tailor-made exclusive issue.

Completely different beasts. The JetSpeed is pretty much literally an SLDR with no moveable weight, and it sold as such. The Aero, has a lot of different design features in terms of CG, the slot size/design, and aerodynamics. Having gamed them both, its not even close.

You're not the average hacker though. Most guys are going to do a quick side by side on the monitor, compare the best numbers from each and decide if it's really worth the extra cash to get the AB, or if they can live with the JS, pick up that hybrid they're eyeing, and still have money left over.

You're not the average hacker though. Most guys are going to do a quick side by side on the monitor, compare the best numbers from each and decide if it's really worth the extra cash to get the AB, or if they can live with the JS, pick up that hybrid they're eyeing, and still have money left over.
In my experience hitting even a few balls with each club gives the average hacker a lay person's version of what Jman said, as told by the golf ball. You don't have to know all the tech stuff to see goodness with one and badness with the other of these two clubs. It is pretty pronounced.

My point is, they are NOT the same clubs. And with different design characteristics and properties, they will not perform the same. THAT is why some will go for the Aero.

Will everyone? No. Should they? That is up to them.

My point is, they are NOT the same clubs. And with different design characteristics and properties, they will not perform the same. THAT is why some will go for the Aero.

Will everyone? No. Should they? That is up to them.
Taylormade does need to do a better job of spelling out benefits.

One thing I learned in sales, features don't sell products. Benefits sell products. Taylormade has been piss poor on that front for years.

That's a mighty fall....wow!

I feel like Taylormade has been trying to ride their own coat tails for the last 2 years and that train is just out of steam.
Innovate. Build a metal wood for the masses that competes with your competitor and offers what the consumer wants. The SLDR sold well but I've never seen so much of one driver in the return bin. There's still a huge pile of then at my local store that can't even sell for $75.

The name isn't going to cut it anymore...its time to build something great, and market it even better.

Big drop for sure. Are they still #1?

Back