Water-activated tape removal

shadow0861

World's Okayest Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I gripped my clubs last year using water activated tape. I bought a grip kit this year that has regular tape. What can I use to get the water activated tape off? Any DIY tips to do that?

I use a heat gun to loosen up the tape to make it a lot easier to peel off the shaft.

How long with a heat gun until it comes off?

How long with a heat gun until it comes off?

I just heat it enough to loosen it some to make it easier to peel off. Use the low heat setting and run the gun up and down each side of the shaft 4 or 5 times.

Awesome. Last question: does it make it easy enough to warrant using water activated tape all the time? I like the idea of it, but hate removing it. It removes the chemical exposure and lets me grip clubs inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Last question: does it make it easy enough to warrant using water activated tape all the time? I like the idea of it, but hate removing it. It removes the chemical exposure and lets me grip clubs inside.

depends on the grip

PURE grips are made to be tapeless, IOmic can be installed tapeless just fine, I find Golf Pride grips don't like to be tapeless

depends on the grip

PURE grips are made to be tapeless, IOmic can be installed tapeless just fine, I find Golf Pride grips don't like to be tapeless

Not talking about tapeless, just whether or not the heat gun makes water activated tape easy enough to take off to warrant using it instead of traditional tape which is easy to remove, but slightly toxic to put on with solvents.

Solvent activated tape hasn't ever stopped me from regripping inside. I use odorless mineral spirits and catch my extra in a paint tray - just do it near a window and you're good.

Plus I really hate ripping off the water activated stuff haha :alien:

Solvent activated tape hasn't ever stopped me from regripping inside. I use odorless mineral spirits and catch my extra in a paint tray - just do it near a window and you're good.

Plus I really hate ripping off the water activated stuff haha :alien:

Yeah that's where I'm at with the water activated tape. I just like the fact I don't have to catch drippings or worry about vapors. And my kids like to help.

I use a heat gun to warm up tape and peel it. Comes off in sections but comes off clean.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I use a straight razor blade made for scraping. Put the club in a vice and pull the razor towards you over and over as you rotate the shaft. Once the majority of tape is off just run with acetone on a rag. Works great for me

I am going to get a tool called the Uneekscraper and try that next time. I am surprised that no one has mentioned blowing them on and off with air and blue painters tape. I have done it both ways and do find the air method the better option. I just regriped my clubs with Lamkin UTx and found it difficult to blow on so I did it the old way with tape and solvent. Also you might look into a product called Brampton HF 100 solvent. It is 100% non toxic. Tim

Water-activated tape removal

Ordered uneekscraper. Didnt ship yet. Grips got here 2 days ago. Gave up and just made the grips "+1" and will use the scraper/ heat gun next time. Thanks for the input and I will use regular tape from now on.

What brand of tape is recommended for strength and ease of removal?

Ordered uneekscraper. Didnt ship yet. Grips got here 2 days ago. Gave up and just made the grips "+1" and will use the scraper/ heat gun next time. Thanks for the input and I will use regular tape from now on.

What brand of tape is recommended for strength and ease of removal?

I have no idea about tape just bought a pack of 50 strip on ebay not sure the brand, but they seem to work just fine... Brampton is a good brand as far as I know.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've used heat guns, bernz torches even stovetops to heat grip tape for removal.... heat is by far the best method to employ for removing grip tape. It simply peels away. Scraping is IMO the least efficient method. My $.02

Back