JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you ever paid attention to your different memory cards?
SD
Micro
Mini
CF
XQD
Countless others...

Just sat through a webinar pre-NAB Show on them and the differences in format, protection, speeds, etc.

It was pretty jaw dropping the failure rate of some and the speed differences of others.

I've always wondered about this. I knew of the different speeds, but I've never been able to find much info on failure rates of some cards. I have so many regular and micro SD cards laying around....I wonder if they all work anymore or what they even have on them...

I have not. The only time I pay attention to them is if they are full or if they fail.

It was pretty jaw dropping the failure rate of some and the speed differences of others.

I'm aware of the different formats and somewhat aware of the speed differences, but I'm really curious about the failure rates - and modes, for that matter. Used to be for a lot of semiconductor stuff that failure rates were fairly low if you mad eit past the initial burn-in period. What's new?

Have you ever paid attention to your different memory cards?
SD
Micro
Mini
CF
XQD
Countless others...

Just sat through a webinar pre-NAB Show on them and the differences in format, protection, speeds, etc.

I've been in the cell phone game for a long time now. To see phones use SD cards back in the day to micro SD cards today is nuts. Looking back and selling 16MB cards and hyping them up, to selling micro SD cards now today, it's crazy how the game has changed.

That not evening mentioning pricing and write speeds! The fact you can get 256gb micro sd cards for under $100.00 bucks is insane!

• Admin
I'm aware of the different formats and somewhat aware of the speed differences, but I'm really curious about the failure rates - and modes, for that matter. Used to be for a lot of semiconductor stuff that failure rates were fairly low if you mad eit past the initial burn-in period. What's new?

In this discussion it was less about the failure of the card in full, but dependent on the capability of the card, would it fail instead of just buffering out to finish recording.
Then add the incoming presence of XQD by the CF association which is X-Ray proof, dust proof, etc and capable of fast speeds.

Part of this was also about the labeling and how misleading it is with maximum speeds and then the tiny little U1 vs U3, etc. With the advent of larger format video (4k and beyond) U1 just does not suffice and too many failures were demonstrated with that being utilized.

I've always wondered but never really paid that close of attention

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

In this discussion it was less about the failure of the card in full, but dependent on the capability of the card, would it fail instead of just buffering out to finish recording.
Then add the incoming presence of XQD by the CF association which is X-Ray proof, dust proof, etc and capable of fast speeds.

Part of this was also about the labeling and how misleading it is with maximum speeds and then the tiny little U1 vs U3, etc. With the advent of larger format video (4k and beyond) U1 just does not suffice and too many failures were demonstrated with that being utilized.

Put card in, take pictures or video, take card out. That's about all I know about them. :D

We use them at work and you can buy 10 of the exact same kind but 3 or 4 will actually work without any errors. Their quality control is pretty bad.

Memory Cards

I know a little bit about them. The storage rates and failure to record rates I knew existed but I've never paid much attention to them.

When I purchased my first set of memory cards for my DSLR I didn't pay attention to it, but as I've gotten more into photography and paid attention to things like that, it's amazing how much a class 10 with a good speed performed compared to my class 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy what is needed for the equipment. Haven't yet bought anything based on which card it used.

I have however paid attention to transfer speed.

I've used many of them over the years, based on what tech, camera, etc. I was using, but never paid enough attention to the differences, sound quite interesting though.

I never paid attention until I found out when I got my first DSLR. Bought a slow memory card and shooting sports or action shots were just awful.

Finding a case that held XQD cards was not easy.

b60c6e50d38176d2f1a241ba5db95987.jpg

Back