TXGolfr

Foreputt
Reaction score
There are now so many quality grips on the market. I was hoping to get some feedback regarding the decision-making process some of you used when choosing grips/comparisons (what made you choose one brand over another).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a golf pride homer and use the mc plus 4, ndmc and switched to the cp2 tour this year and love them. I used lamkin utx and rel 3 but just prefer the golf pride more

I used golf pride new decade multi compound for several years. I enjoyed them but I switched to golf pride tour wrap at the beginning of this year and I love them. Biggest thing for me was switching to mid size from standard grip. Feels so much better and all my friends who swing my sticks now want to switch to golf pride tour wrap mid size. I have read that the tour wrap will lose its stickyness pretty quickly, but I'm 20 rounds in with them with no issues.

I tried several grips with air installation. In order of preference, I preferred the Lamkin Z5 very narrowly over the SuperStroke S Tech, and those by a wide margin over the Lamkin UTx then the Golf Pride MCC +4. I could be very happy with either the Z5 or S Tech, and if the Z5s happen to wear quickly, the S Techs will go on without a thought.

The advantage of using air installation is that you can change grips easily for evaluation without damaging them.

For me, I want, in order, a slightly soft feel, a slightly tacky feel, good gription without being abrasive, and durability. The Z5 checked the first three boxes just a little better than the S Tech. So far, it looks to be durable as well.

I would DQ a grip on looks, but none of these are ugly and there are many choices that are attractive to me. Multiple color choices are a plus, because I plan to put different colors on my wedges as extra idiotproofing against picking the wrong club.

One thing I realized in this process is that if your shaft butt diameter is bigger than your grip core diameter, the installed grip diameter will be bigger than what you bought, but a little less than what you would get by adding the butt diameter + (grip outer diameter - core diameter) because the grip wall has to stretch and becomes 1-2% thinner. It could be as much as a wrap of tape, so if you are really picky, you may want to do the math. I can help if needed.

I knew I wanted to try new grips this year, and I knew I wanted to try mid sized. From there I looked at the most used grips on tour and most sold in general. Then I looked at various reviews and discussions on here and decided on the uTX. Have only hit the range so far, but liking the feel. A little rough but will see if they feel as rough when only playing a round not hitting a few hundred balls on the range.

I have been using the GP Tour Wraps and they are really good and tacky but had issues when wet. I used a product called Dry Hands and rotated through 4 gloves to stay dry and that did work. I just installed the Lamkin Utx on all my clubs, except the putter, and have played one game with them. So far, I like them but the summertime sweating will be the real test for me. Tim

Having played for several years I've used many different grips. When I was younger I preferred the corded type grip as they hold up better and seem to be better for a more aggressive type swing. Now that I'm in the senior section I prefer something that is softer as it's easier on the joints and the hands over all. I have been using and still have Wynn DriTec on most all of my clubs. The only issue I have had with the DriTec is durability, but otherwise they are great. I just got some new wedges and installed the new GP DP2 Pro on them and they feel great, but not enough time to say on the durability side. I use midsize grips on all my clubs and both the DriTec and CP2 are very comfortable when you need to choke down on the club.

I also install with air so it makes it easy to change out grips or make adjustment.

First thing I look for is cord in the grip due to the hot and humid climate I play in. Preter Lamkin UTx but will play the GP NDMC that came on my new irons and wedges until they wear out then will replace with UTx.

I have used the GP multi compound for a couple of years, but since I needed to regrip ,I went with the CP2 tour midsize.I am starting to get a little arthritis and the midsize seems to help and the CP2 tour seems to be a little "softer"feeling than the multicompound.I have a midsized Winn Dritac on my new driver shaft because I wanted to try this grip and didn't have another CP2.I am not sure of the durability of the CP2 tours but after 3 rounds they seem like they will be ok.

I currently use the MCC Plus4 in midsize, but I really want to try out other options. I hear great things about the CP2s as well as Lamkin grips, which I've never used. I have a couple midsize NDMC and standard MCC Plus4s that I'd like to give a shot but I need to learn how to use air to remove them so I can easily switch them out to test.

Comfort. I tend to overgrip, so I got grips that I can grip lighter works great. Golf Pride CP2 wraps. I have 3 build up layers of tape then the double sided tape.

I actually ended up with my grips kind of accidentally. I took my dad to regroup his clubs, and he liked how those felt, so we had them put on his clubs with a couple of extra tape wraps. When I picked up my dads clubs, I loved how the grips felt on his clubs, so I went and had mine done.

As fate would have it, at the grandaddy, they had these on all the fitting clubs too.

I really love them, but now that superstroke just released their new Cross Comfort Grips, I grabbed a few of those to try out. If I like them better, I'll be switching to those.

Golf Pride NDMC midsize. The midsize fits my hand better and I like the NDMC because I can play with or without a glove on without feeling like I'm going to lose the club on humid days.

Back