Going Gloveless - Your Experience

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
I am starting to convince myself that wearing a glove is actually detracting from my ability to use proper grip pressure in my swing. I was goofing around last week and tried hitting a few shots gloveless and wondered if wearing a glove tells my grain I can grip more tightly and results in some bad swings.

With better materials in grips these days I am wondering what it would be like to just try it out. Have you done it and if so, what is your feedback?

I'd like to try it, a buddy of mine has always played without gloves, and he says he really likes the feel. He always carries a towel around to keep his hands dry.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Been doing it for years and the only time I felt I needed a glove was on particularly humid days. But with newer grips like UTx and the new decades even that isn't a problem.

I am starting to convince myself that wearing a glove is actually detracting from my ability to use proper grip pressure in my swing. I was goofing around last week and tried hitting a few shots gloveless and wondered if wearing a glove tells my grain I can grip more tightly and results in some bad swings.

With better materials in grips these days I am wondering what it would be like to just try it out. Have you done it and if so, what is your feedback?

I don't wear a glove unless it is really hot and sweaty. I don't struggle with callouses or the like when playing without one. I just got tired of paying for gloves, and realized I only wore it because others did.

Most tour player wear them, so... I don't think it detracts from ones ability to use proper grip pressure. That being said, we are all different and you could be a special case.

I haven't worn a grip outside of rain gloves in a couple of years. I don't miss them at all. I use pretty light grip pressure and can hit lots of balls without and wear on my hands. If I am going to hit a huge bucket at the range early in the season, I might throw a glove on. I play NDMC too, which some people say are "harsh" grips.
I have had zero neg issues from going grip less.

Stopped wearing a glove 13 years ago and find ndmc are the best grip for me. I find it's just more comfortable even growing up I only used 1 half the time.

I tend to do it from time to time if I forget my glove or am in between them. Unless it's wet or humid out, it's rarely an issue in terms of maintaining good grip, but I have to say my left thumb starts to feel a bit raw with the UTx and the pressure that's applied in that location.

Mentally, I don't really notice a difference.

I'd like to try it, a buddy of mine has always played without gloves, and he says he really likes the feel. He always carries a towel around to keep his hands dry.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yep - I tried it for a while and it's nice not having to take your glove off to putt and then put it back on the next tee. But I also found myself carrying around a towel to dry my hands, especially in the summer. Didn't really see any improvement in my game though or lack thereof was just a preference thing.

I have been gloveless for at least 5 years, and I only resort to gloves in rain or extremely humid weather. It may be mental, but there is a confidence there when I feel the texture of the grip, it seems to allow my hands/forearms to relax. Going gloveless has also helped me develop better grip cleaning habits, as now I feel the dirt/grit and know that it limits tack. Also, it seems like I get fewer blisters now... maybe a grip pressure thing.

Find a grip you like and give it a go, I'd be interested to hear your take on the matter

I did it in Vegas a couple of weeks ago because I forgot to bring a glove and I refused to buy a new one given my supply at home. It was okay. I felt a little bit more of a callous than normal. I'd think you'd have to be pretty careful to not let your grips wear at all and keep an eye out for moisture/weather. I didn't notice any difference in grip pressure from wearing a grip.

I'm scared of swinging a club at even half speed if I'm not wearing a glove for fear of throwing it. I've had it happen multiple times. If I have a glove on, then I don't think about. I feel connected to the club with a glove on and the total opposite without one. I only take it off to putt or occasionally to hit really short chip shots.

I don't wear a glove at all on the driving range, and pretty much only for tee shots on the course. There's no reason behind it apart from that I hate paying to replace them so often. For whatever reason (bad technique) I wear out the left thumb of my gloves (and the same spot on my grips) in a real hurry.

I've been thinking of trying this. I really question sometimes why I'm wearing a glove and wonder if it affects my feel, especially on shorter chip shots.

I've tried playing without a glove and I always get a blister on the proximal phalange of my left index finger, and only on the index finger.

The only time I go without a glove now is when putting.

I lost 3 gloves in a few weeks and got annoyed last fall so didn't wear one the last month of the season. It felt a little odd the first few rounds, but I didn't actually notice a difference. Come summer when hot and humid I'm guessing I would so I'm going back to wearing a glove.

The last time I played without a glove, I had a club fly out of my hands. Granted it was super hot and humid that day, but I've played with a glove since.

When I started playing the game in the 70's I never used a glove and was fine. Then I saw everyone using one and figured I needed to have one, so I started wearing one. After a few years I took it off and tried playing without a glove and I got major blisters. So the only reason I wear a glove is to avoid blisters. It has absolutely nothing to do with feel or anything else. I just don't like blisters.

Now saying that, if you can condition your left hand to get used to playing without one, I would guess the blisters will stop after a few rounds. But I'm not much into that much pain to get to that point.

Hardly ever wear a glove anymore. I'm also enjoying playing in regular tennis shoes rather than golf shoes. Probably just getting lazy but neither has hurt my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to go in phases where I'd go gloveless and not. However, since college I've always had one. The only reason I went gloveless in my early playing days and before college, was because I used a glove so much and was outside so much, I started to get a glove tan line. It looked weird having my one hand lighter than the rest of my arm. That's it. Now however, as soon as the shot it done the glove comes off and I don't or hit small chips with it on either.

I wore a glove my first dozen or so rounds, hated it. Tried gloveless with the grips that came on my clubs, (Golf Pride tour velvets IIRC) they chewed up my hands pretty bad in two long practice sessions. Then my pro loaned me a wedge from a demo set to practice with with a different grip on it, 30 min later I was hooked, I had to have them. I've been running Winn Dry-tac grips gloveless ever since.

I've thought about it many times since I live here in Arizona and don't really notice moisture on my hands...

But all it took was one trip to South Carolina in the summer to convince me that there's long stretches of time in other parts of the country where having a glove is a must, so I might as well keep wearing it. I scarcely notice it here, but I'd be pretty thrown off trying to play in Florida where it's practically a necessity.

Haven't worn a glove except for playing in 25* weather or in the rain in a few years now. I hit multiple times per week at the range and play at least once. Takes a while to build up your hands to endure the wear and tear but I prefer it.

Iomic Grips are the best I've found sans glove.

I prefer to play without but have played with two before. Like without better.

I have not worn a glove since high school, 37 plus years ago. I love winn grips, even hot and sweaty I find no issue with maintaining proper grip pressure.

I played a good chunk of last year gloveless. I wore a glove at the cobra event because it was so damp out and I liked the glove I got.
Not sure what I will do this year but am leaving to trying a glove again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back