James Harrison Message

Hahaha! Yes you are sir...

The issue we are facing personally is that we are already seeing that if the result isn't perfect or she thinks she won't do well, she doesn't even want to try. So right now the message is win or lose you have to try bc that's how you learn and become better.

I just don't want her to be "risk averse". She had my competitive spirit which I like, but her unwillingness to try for fear of failure is one we are trying to get her over right now.

That's where the having fun part comes in for me.

If it's fun, it shouldn't matter if you lose. I try to show her that when she wins and I lose.

Does this include stumbling into villas drunk and eating chips and proclaiming yourself a champion?

That reminds me.

The third thing I teach her is haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.

That's where the having fun part comes in for me.

If it's fun, it shouldn't matter if you lose. I try to show her that when she wins and I lose.

Must make it interesting to root for sports teams.

Must make it interesting to root for sports teams.

When your pro teams are based in Atlanta, and your college teams are Clemson and UGA, you have to temper expectations of happiness based on winning.

I wish I could put an :alien: there, but I cannot.

This thread just ruined my start to the day. Sorry to say

it just seems to me if a young kid doesn't win or they aren't competitor like others then they shouldn't even play the sport. That is what I see in society and children youth sports... And personally I freaking f hate it . Sure losing sucks but so does forcing with win at all cost attitude

cant stand this stuff

I played highly competitive sports throughout my entire childhood until about 21 ish and I learned some extremely valuable lessons including losing.

This is going to sound extremely pompous but I don't think people who haven't played sports at a high level can quite understand this aspect of it. I could be completely wrong though.

Nothing drove me harder to succeed than losing, and I know my teammates were the exact same way. I like to think these lessons have served me well in life.

Losing or failing are the only things that have driven me to get better. That includes sports, education, and life.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

it just seems to me if a young kid doesn't win or they aren't competitor like others then they shouldn't even play the sport. That is what I see in society and children youth sports... And personally I freaking f hate it . Sure losing sucks but so does forcing with win at all cost attitude

cant stand this stuff

Probably like I cant stand hiring kids out of high school and they dont understand they cant just work when they want because work gets in the way of their personal lives. Kids coming out of school today have no concept of earning anything.

cant stand this stuff

You should never let what you read on the internet ruin your day. Differences of opinions are ok

cant stand this stuff
I do think anyone has mentioned a win at all cost attitude. And I do think there is more to sports than winning and losing. But telling someone winning doesn't matter is just as bad. You should always be striving to win. Sometimes you lose, it happens, hopefully you work harder to win next time.

Everyday I have to go out and ''win'' listing or guess what, I make no money. Just trying my hardest isn't good enough, just having fun definitely isn't good enough.

I do think anyone has mentioned a win at all cost attitude. And I do think there is more to sports than winning and losing. But telling someone winning doesn't matter is just as bad. You should always be striving to win. Sometimes you lose, it happens, hopefully you work harder to win next time.

Everyday I have to go out and ''win'' listing or guess what, I make no money. Just trying my hardest isn't good enough, just having fun definitely isn't good enough.
Dont worry wake, have fun, and then demand someone else take care of you. Its the new way.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Have two different leagues. One league for those who,want bright shiny trophies and ribbons for participating and where there is no score kept and everyone is just having a blast. Why not just stop giving out grades in school and everyone gets an A because they woke up in the morning and mad edit school and sat through the teachers lesson for each day.

then have a league where those who want the full experience of competing and having to,work hard to be better at what they do and where winners are rewarded and the team or individual who didn't won gets to see the winners celebrate and it fuels them to get better so they can go out and try and win next time.

I do think that parents have a huge role in participation trophies and how entitled a kid feels about them.

The biggest factor in assshole kids, is assshole parents. Not participation trophies.

Im no James Harrison fan, but this message is fantastic.

https://instagram.com/p/6aXCJ2JFi5/

I came home to find out that my boys received two trophies for nothing, participation trophies! While I am very proud of my boys for everything they do and will encourage them till the day I die, these trophies will be given back until they EARN a real trophy. I'm sorry I'm not sorry for believing that everything in life should be earned and I'm not about to raise two boys to be men by making them believe that they are entitled to something just because they tried their best...cause sometimes your best is not enough, and that should drive you to want to do better...not cry and whine until somebody gives you something to shut u up and keep you happy. #harrisonfamilyvalues

Love and 100% agree with this. We never got participation trophies and guess what, that's a good thing! Made me want to be better and try harder to win. I applaud his choice!

Normally, I think James Harrison is an idiot but Im with him on this one. If I ever have kids, they will not be keeping their participation trophies and they will be learning the lesson that you dont always win and that it is a thing which must be earned.

When my son was in scouts we got into a huge fight with some of the parents because we only gave out first and second place trophies for the events, well you had parents that wanted to buy trophies if their kid didn't win one and would argue how it wasn't fair that their child didn't get one. That nonsense drove me crazy but we refused to budge on it.

Was listening to a sports radio guy this evening and he had a decent take on it ... at the age of Harrison's kids, what's the harm in giving out participation trophies? With childhood obesity as pervasive as it is, why not encourage the kids for just getting out there and playing?

At 5, 6 and 7 ... do you need to drill in the mindset that second place is the first loser? We had that mindset in high school and college (I remember throwing out my second place finish medal at a conference championship in college to prove a point with some of the freshmen), but for kids just a year or two out of pull-ups? I don't know ...

I'll always tell my son that he's to always give it his best, and at times his best won't get enough to have him win ... but that doesn't mean you half-ass it either. You start hard, you play hard all the way through. It takes time for that message to settle in though, and as they get older, the stakes get raised. Maybe people will get on me for saying that at age 6, that message may be a bit too much. Just getting him out there, and seeing what he has an affinity for and an interest in, will be enough at that age.

Not to steal a page out of Donald Trumps playbook but America is losing. We have been losing for a while now. But the problem is we don't have the fight in us as a country to get back to where we were. It's a really sad state of affairs. But I will leave it for the debate thread.

Was listening to a sports radio guy this evening and he had a decent take on it ... at the age of Harrison's kids, what's the harm in giving out participation trophies? With childhood obesity as pervasive as it is, why not encourage the kids for just getting out there and playing?

At 5, 6 and 7 ... do you need to drill in the mindset that second place is the first loser? We had that mindset in high school and college (I remember throwing out my second place finish medal at a conference championship in college to prove a point with some of the freshmen), but for kids just a year or two out of pull-ups? I don't know ...

I'll always tell my son that he's to always give it his best, and at times his best won't get enough to have him win ... but that doesn't mean you half-ass it either. You start hard, you play hard all the way through. It takes time for that message to settle in though, and as they get older, the stakes get raised. Maybe people will get on me for saying that at age 6, that message may be a bit too much.
My son is so tiny compared to others in his class. I would be so heart broken knowing he was trying his hardest but would never have chance to win against the bigger kids. Not trying to come off as a prude or troll of any kind , i believe having something for just participating is worth a lot to many. That is the problem with sports, it is first or nothing.. I guess I'm behind the young kids who try there best but would never have a chance to win. Same way i look at golf I guess , I just enjoy it for the love of the game

nice response, I'm pro- participation. And pro- getting kids involved in activities (win or lose )

My son is so tiny compared to others in his class. I would be so heart broken knowing he was trying his hardest but would never have chance to win against the bigger kids.
When I got to high school I was 4'10", maybe 100 pounds. My neighbor's father asked my friend and I to go running one day the summer before we got to high school and I accepted. I ran with him all that summer. I got on the high school cross country team and stunk my freshman year, like only faster than the fat kids. But one meet it clicked, and I worked my way up. That summer I trained, also grew four inches. Made the varsity team and we made states. That summer, grew four more inches and started setting school records that to this day still stand ... over 20 years later. I never made the baseball team in high school (despite desperately wanting to) and I'm glad I missed the cut by one place ... it allowed me to find my niche, a niche that eventually paid for college.

A lot of sports don't need you to be the biggest or strongest. If he keeps an open mind, he'll find his niche.

Do kids actually feel some sort of accomplishment when they get a participation trophy or do they think it's just a big joke as well. Looking back at how competitive I was as a kid I probably wouldn't even accept it.

I do not know the age of the gentleman's kids ... I think at some point/age I agree 100% with earning the trophy ... maybe they should give t-shirts would that be better?

But on a much younger level I think there are so many other things to teach ... looking back I can not tell you how winning the "championship" at age 7 had a significant impact on my life ... 30 minutes after the game I am not sure who even cared ...

Just feel there are so many other values that are missing today,

I can assure you whether a 7 yr gets participation trophy or not does not matters to me ... there are so many other teachable moments for young kids.

Do kids actually feel some sort of accomplishment when they get a participation trophy or do they think it's just a big joke as well. Looking back at how competitive I was as a kid I probably wouldn't even accept it.
In my opinion, it comes down to how the parents have raised the kids.

Love ole silver back and what a great message to teach.

I do not know the age of the gentleman's kids ...
IIRC, they are 6 and 8.

not even a fair response
Actually, a large percentage of how our children behave will come down to parenting. As I said earlier, at the given age, to me ... just getting them out there, seeing what they have an affinity to, and enjoying being outdoors will be enough. For others, it won't be.

Back