sometimes you just have to laugh

darthweasel

Reaction score
Handicap
couple weeks ago I was in Vegas, playing, having a good time, taking advantage of the rarified air to have the best driving week of my life...I seriously had more 300 yard drives in 4 rounds than in the rest of my life combined, including my personal record where I over drove a 380 yard green (full disclosure, there were record setting winds going the right way, it was downhill and bounced off a hill...none of which you need to know, just remember that 390 yard distance).

Even better, they were straight. I was finding the fairway time after time after time. Twice I was on the fringe of 343 yard greens after my drive. I was counting on that club as the best one in my bag.

Of course, my 150 and in game looked like that of a drunken monkey with a nervous twitch. I was hitting behind the ball consistently.

Went to my swing coach when I got back, he quickly saw what I was doing it, we got it correctly. I practiced it, got it down, was feeling good. Played a local course, yep, it is fixed, I have my renewed confidence and swing thoughts

Went out Saturday to play.

My first drive was brilliant, right down the pipe. It was so good it exceeded the combined distance of my next four. Because I suddenly was topping everything. Except the one where my hard slice returned.

Fortunately, I made up for it by promptly hitting behind the ball so much that from 85 yards out I was on in four. Then one good one the next hole. Then next to chunkopotamus rex as I took great swaths of landscape behind the ball while leaving the ball itself untouched.

Double check my swing thoughts, my tempo, feels good...Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel were impressed with the amount of dirt I then moved.

Finally I striped a drive. Put it all together and went long with a soft swing. Rolled in the texas wedge downhill sidehill putt for the bird. Okay, game is coming back together...

Nope, I cannot drive, hit long irons or pitch.

Coming off the best swings I have ever had and a session to fix that specific problem and a round between where it seemed solved...

my playing partner for the day and I had a good laugh. It will come back at some point but some days..oh, lets scratch that day from the calendar

Ugh... golf.

If I'm driving the ball well... my irons are short, left and right. If I'm struggling with the driver... I somehow manage to find 9 greens in regulation and come close on 5 of the other 9 greens. If both are on... I'm three-putting every other green.

On an unrelated note... I realized while reading this thread that I need to play golf in or around Vegas. My longest drive (that I can remember and verify) is 309 yards.

- Chuck

Back