Looking for a weekend game in Albany NY

MikePagsNY

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a 3.5 hcp looking for a regular group to play with on the weekends in or around Albany NY. Mostly, I'm looking for some decent golfers (18 hcp and under) to play various courses in the area, and enjoy a beer after.

In my Callaway Hyperlite 3.0:
Driver: Nike Vapor Flex (Diamana X-Stiff)
3W: Titleist 908F 15 degree (Vista X-Stiff)
3H: Taylor Made Rescue TP 18 degree (Reax X-Stiff)
4H: Taylor Made Rescue TP 21 degree (Reax X-Stiff)
5-AW: Nike Vapor Fly Pro (XP-95 Stiff)
Cleveland 900 52 or 56 Degree (depending on the day)
Callaway Forged Plus 60 Degree
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #5

Welcome to the forum! Lots of NY members here, some may be up for a round! Stick around and enjoy the forum!

I'm just seeing this post now. I'm in Albany, NY and play quite a bit (once work calms down, and my season actually starts to get going).

Where do you normally play in the area?

I roam around. I live in Castleton but tend to travel a bit to play. E.G., I play a league on Wednesday's at Town if Colonie, played Stadium this morning, and I play Cap Hills a fair bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capital Hills is my favorite public course in the area. And I grew up playing Town of Colonie with the Resident + Student rate of $15 unlimited all you could walk.

I'm in a Thursday league at Fairways of Halfmoon now; and I play with another Albany THPer quite a bit. We'll have to get out for a round soon.

Shoot me a PM next time you're headed out. (And I'll do the same).

Sweet; sounds good to me.

Capital Hills is my favorite public course in the area. And I grew up playing Town of Colonie with the Resident + Student rate of $15 unlimited all you could walk.

I'm in a Thursday league at Fairways of Halfmoon now; and I play with another Albany THPer quite a bit. We'll have to get out for a round soon.

Shoot me a PM next time you're headed out. (And I'll do the same).

How is the Fairways of Halfmoon? I have played nearly all the public and private courses in the Albany area, but have never played there. Currently, I play in a league at Capital Hills. I grew up playing the old Albany Muni. Capital Hills is quite different.

I love Fairways. Front nine is a links style, and the back is quite different - very hilly. I've always found it to be well-maintained.

I actually haven't played there, which is surprising since I think I've played about every other course in the area. I'm up to the challenge!

I'm always up for a round.

How is the Fairways of Halfmoon? I have played nearly all the public and private courses in the Albany area, but have never played there. Currently, I play in a league at Capital Hills. I grew up playing the old Albany Muni. Capital Hills is quite different.
I'm the wrong person to ask. I've played it once a week for 12 years now, so I'm a little burned out by it.

However, most people I talk to love it. The course is prey unique from a layout standpoint, despite a few wonky (narrow, target golf) holes. I find the greens firm and tricky as well. It's gets a TON of play between leagues and tournaments, but even still, it's normally in decent shape.

I'm always up for a round.

At some point I would like to possibly play a few rounds with the Albany area people.

I'm the wrong person to ask. I've played it once a week for 12 years now, so I'm a little burned out by it.

However, most people I talk to love it. The course is prey unique from a layout standpoint, despite a few wonky (narrow, target golf) holes. I find the greens firm and tricky as well. It's gets a TON of play between leagues and tournaments, but even still, it's normally in decent shape.

Thanks for the honest review. I usually play at Capital Hills, Normanside and a handful of rounds at Wolferts Roost.

Thanks for the honest review. I usually play at Capital Hills, Normanside and a handful of rounds at Wolferts Roost.

I've never played the Roost but have certainly wanted to.

What is everyone's favorite course in the area, regardless of cost/exclusivity/etc?

I've only played it once, but I love Glens Falls CC, but that's just a sign of my love Donald Ross.

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex (Diamana Stiff)
Nike Engage square 54 Degree

That's a tough one. I just made a quick list of 15 courses I've played locally (Guilderland to Glens Falls.) Saratoga National is not on that list. Of that fifteen, there are only four I would hesitate if someone said "Let's go." Two of them, the layouts are meh, and the other two are poorly managed in my view.

I really enjoy Albany Country Club. Greens are very challenging.

What is everyone's favorite course in the area, regardless of cost/exclusivity/etc?

I've only played it once, but I love Glens Falls CC, but that's just a sign of my love Donald Ross.

Capital Hills is my favorite, but it has a lot more to do with my family connection than the course itself (which is really good anyway IMO).

After that, I love Shaker Ridge Country Club--but that's not so easy to get on.

Saratoga State Park is my favorite 18 to walk.

There aren't a whole lot in the area I won't play though.

My son-in-law told me today he dropped his membership at Mohawk. I can't blame him, and I will miss the course, but I will get to play more golf with him and my son, which is good.

The usual gang is going to play Van Patten Sunday. I'll let you know about the claimed upgrades.

The usual gang is going to play Van Patten Sunday. I'll let you know about the claimed upgrades.

I almost did their players pass this year. But league nights worry me a ton.

How much is the players pass there? I live in the opposite direction, but make my way up there a good bit.

Played Cap Hills this morning. Course is in good shape and greens are great for this time of the year. 35-37 with a lost ball triple on 17 for a 72.

Cleveland VP5

Back