GPS Distance differences

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Sorry if this has been answered but completed a search and could not find anything. I was having a round with the mother-in-law the other day and she has a Garmin GPS watch but there is also GPS in the carts. The differences in distances between the cart and watch are pretty huge and she only really needs the watch for those shots when she has to walk to her ball (out of cart areas etc) but since the distances are different she has no confidence in it. I checked that the distances were in yards so thats not the issue, can anyone shed any light or have knowledge why it can be so vastly different?

Thanks

Only way I could see to get an idea on which is correct would be to take laser range finder out there and see which one is lying to you.

Have you made sure the GPS watch has the latest update? I checked my Golfbuddy GPS on the home course, all the sprinkler heads are distance to center of green and there was only a 1 yard difference.

I'd double check with a laser if you can. I've been on courses where the GPS was in the carts, and had 2 carts parked right next to each other be 8 yards difference. I was on the course yesterday and my Garmin watch, my partners Bushnell watch and another players laser were all consistently within a yard of each other.

I've found the GPS equipped carts are not as accurate as watches.

some GPS carts will tell you the distance to the pin as the watch will tell you he distance to the middle of the green, maybe that's where the difference come from.

was it consistently shorter? longer? or did it vary? how big were the differences?

If your course has markers in the fairway for the 100/150/200yd distances to the middle of the green then you could also stand by one of those and see what the watch says

I know at my home course, the few holes I have looked at my watch as I have walked past them it has been pretty accurate (Garmin S4), and playing with a friend who uses a range finder I have compared distances with him and they have been close enough (he has lasered the flag and I have checked the F/M/B numbers and eyeballed roughly where the flag is in relation to my watch numbers)

I can't talk for carts as I have never used one with GPS installed

My gpss have had to have updates to make accurate. I guess they use satellite images and often off. I loved my old cheap Bushnell Neo+ where I could manually set front/middle/back on my regular courses. My garmin I have now needed an update before becoming accurate on 7 different holes. Now I've tested vs a laser and much more expensive SkyCaddies and always within 1-3 yards.

some GPS carts will tell you the distance to the pin as the watch will tell you he distance to the middle of the green, maybe that's where the difference come from.

was it consistently shorter? longer? or did it vary? how big were the differences?
This is what a couple of places I have played have. I'm unsure of the technology but I would have to imagine there's something in the cart and flag stick to measure the distance making it pretty darn accurate.

This is what a couple of places I have played have. I'm unsure of the technology but I would have to imagine there's something in the cart and flag stick to measure the distance making it pretty darn accurate.

I thought it was simply a person setting up pin positions in the system

I have used a bunch of apps prior to getting my rangefinder and I'll be honest all the ones i have tried were pretty on point. Id say they were within a 1-2 yards of my rangefinder.

I thought it was simply a person setting up pin positions in the system

Would be as easy as having the greenskeeper record a waypoint in a handheld gps then uploading it to their system each day.

Also, smartphone apps are using cell tower triangulation for location along with actual gps systems. Really allows for fast accurate data. I'm not sure if any of the watches do this.

Haven't played with many lately, but when the courses around here had GPS in the carts, I always found the handhelds/watches to be more accurate. Just have her check vs some of the markings or with a laser. My G6 is usually within a yard or two.

Back