Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is this "270 yard drive down the center of the fairway" of which you speak? It is not familiar to me.

I do know all about the long drive (for me) that ends in a snowman. My driver is in time out so I'm hitting a 3W. The ohter day we get on the tee box and our long hitter blasts his driver down the middle - way out there. I line up my 3W and hit a rocket - just incredible. The whole group heads out, the other two go play their (shorter) balls and then everyone arrives to stare at my ball that is 5 yards further than Mr. I Can Hit Driver Really Long. Plenty of folks making sure he knows I hit a 3W there. He just laughs and says "Yeah, yeah, we'll count'em at the end." And at the end he made par and I made triple bogey.

Where's my long drive now!? #hateGolf

I do know all about the long drive (for me) that ends in a snowman. My driver is in time out so I'm hitting a 3W. The ohter day we get on the tee box and our long hitter blasts his driver down the middle - way out there. I line up my 3W and hit a rocket - just incredible. The whole group heads out, the other two go play their (shorter) balls and then everyone arrives to stare at my ball that is 5 yards further than Mr. I Can Hit Driver Really Long. Plenty of folks making sure he knows I hit a 3W there. He just laughs and says "Yeah, yeah, we'll count'em at the end." And at the end he made par and I made triple bogey.

Where's my long drive now!? #hateGolf
Ouch. I know that feeling. I was the only one on the green on a par 3 and finished with a 5. Did you then smear glue stick all over his driver face, resulting in uncontrollable hooking/slicing?

Or you guys could buy the Game Golf hardware unit and we could relive the agony of our rounds together. This also keeps track of all your stats for you. I'll tell you there is nothing like reliving that double par; seeing that 270 yd drive down the center of the fairway on a short par 5 leaving you with just 140 yds to the green melt away with two chili dips and a skull and end up with a double bogey.

I've learned my game - it's inconsistent. Oh, why am I in this thread with a 22.4 HC? I'm playing to a 30+ HC right now. I haven't broke 100 since mid July.

Game golf is one of the best things I've brought. I thought I knew my averages from hitting on the range but they are different on the course. Not only can you re live those monster drives followed by a bad second shot but you can also track your progress.

The approach into greens I find useful, I hit more per round from 125 out than I do from 75 in which helps me with club selection. Tagging has become second nature and I find myself tagging on the range now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I'm possibly giving in to temptation today, and looking at a new driver. I found a scratched up Cleveland Classic XL at a local sports resale shop for $50. the scratches are sky marks, but the rest of the club looks fine, from what I recall. (It was last week when I spotted it. Hoping that it will aid with some distance and control off the tee.

...Hoping that it will aid with some distance and control off the tee.

Not to be Debby Downer, but I've been through 7 drivers in the past two years hoping the same thing and still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Not to be Debby Downer, but I've been through 7 drivers in the past two years hoping the same thing and still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with trying new clubs if you want, but in the end, they're all mostly-flat face on a crooked stick. You have to get the face contacting the ball at a better angle if you want more control.

So, I'm possibly giving in to temptation today, and looking at a new driver. I found a scratched up Cleveland Classic XL at a local sports resale shop for $50. the scratches are sky marks, but the rest of the club looks fine, from what I recall. (It was last week when I spotted it. Hoping that it will aid with some distance and control off the tee.

Not to be a contrarian, but $50 ain't much. Buy it. If it puts some new zip in your swing and a new reason to hope in your driver it's worth it. I have an old TaylorMade Burner that I can bomb (every now and then). But it didn't cost much and when I hit it sweet the ball just rockets. I paid $65 for it and love it (when it isn't in time out).

Didn't break it today. Next time. :)

54 this morning. I refuse to play the front nine after about 7:30 in the morning. The slow people can have it. Instead I jump off the back and play a quick nine, usually before the family is up and moving.

It was a rough start for me today, went snowman, nine, double (on an easy par 3) then it got a little better, bogied the next four, but I think I've got a start on sorting out my big stick issues. I had the clubs built for me a long time ago, when I was young and strong like bull. I'd been slowing down my driver and was getting no distance and wonky shots. I picked up the tempo and shots started going where I was pointing them. Now I need to get it consistent.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Agreed. Nothing wrong with trying new clubs if you want, but in the end, they're all mostly-flat face on a crooked stick. You have to get the face contacting the ball at a better angle if you want more control.

Not to be a contrarian, but $50 ain't much. Buy it. If it puts some new zip in your swing and a new reason to hope in your driver it's worth it. I have an old TaylorMade Burner that I can bomb (every now and then). But it didn't cost much and when I hit it sweet the ball just rockets. I paid $65 for it and love it (when it isn't in time out).
Thanks all for your input. I well understand that it is me, not the club, so no downerism taken to heart. I did pick it up, so I could return the Launcher I had borrowed. And, to be honest, IF I can play this for say, three seasons, it will be worth it. Heck, we'll drop $45 to play every weekend, right?
Now the problem turns to the Ping lust I caught playing my buddy's irons yesterday.
didn't break 100, but came close with a 104 followed by a 105.

oh boy ... I HAD THAT ROUND TODAY.

we walked 9 on our local muni track that we play a lot (Chester Ditto in Arlington) and I knew right away it was going to be good. went par, double, par on 1, 2 and 3 - the best three holes I've ever carded. finished the 9 with a 52 which would be 104 if we played 18.

I'm ridiculously happy. have had two lessons and they are paying off big time. better setup, better swing, better contact. played in the short grass a LOT today and putted well too. am borrowing from Mr. Spieth with great success. no, I can't look at the hole and putt. but I always take two practice putt/swings before I putt and on my second I'm swinging while looking at the hole. then I hit it. and I'm getting putts to the hole really well. only one 3 putt today.

my contact/swing on the teebox and second shot kinda went away on 6-7-8 but I found it again on 9 and finished with a bogey.

it was great and really fun. and I'm pretty excited. feel like I made some real progress today.

I've been waiting for a breakthrough and it came today. YAHTZEE!!!!

107 today. Par 5 holes was messed up with 8,8,9 and 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so I'm still feeling sassy about a 52 on 9 holes. well, that didn't last long.

last week saw some guys from church on the course - a buddy of mine and his 80+ dad, Herb. Herb is bent up with arthritis, had his neck fused, and all kinds of other ailments. he looks 80+. he also was a crazy good golfer in his day.

"so how'd you shoot Herb?"

"not great ... 52. but we only played 9 holes."

Humility on Line 1. Humility calling on Line 1. Please pick up.

OUCH!

I've been waiting for a breakthrough and it came today. YAHTZEE!!!!
Congratulations!

Humility on Line 1. Humility calling on Line 1. Please pick up.
Yeah, don't compare yourself to other golfers. Especially not old guys who have been playing their whole lives. Especially don't ever bet against them, you'll lose your money every time.

Congratulations!

Yeah, don't compare yourself to other golfers. Especially not old guys who have been playing their whole lives. Especially don't ever bet against them, you'll lose your money every time.
I agree. I think Herb was sandbagging a little to set you up.

Taking a break from trying to break 100 this weekend. Playing a course that is brutally hard on Friday. Taking the new irons and driver out for a range session tomorrow or Wednesday, then taking a beating on Friday. I'm playing it just because it looks awesome.

I agree. I think Herb was sandbagging a little to set you up.

the worst part is Herb is as pure as the driven snow. could never sand bag. guy plays golf with about 4 clubs, hits it straight as an arrow, and plays FAST. he gets out of the cart and as you look at your GPS and say "it's about 220-" WHAP! he hits it. and beats you into the ground doing it. it's annoying! HA!

It took me a few years to break a 100 at my own course from the medal tees. Managed it after many lessons and now break it most weeks. The key for me is course management as I don't hit it very far and now I think more about the best club to use to put me in the best position for my next shot. My best so far is 92 and my target is to break 90.

Scored my best, 95, yesterday. Had a blast. Left driver in the bag except for one safe tee shot. Ball striking and short game were very good. Putting was horrendous at 42, my lag putting was waayy off. We play all over but this was one of our fav familiar courses, which helps. Good luck all!

Last edited:
I don't know how I did it, but I scored a 92 on the blue course at Eisenhower Park in Westbury, NY. Went 49/43 and somehow got a birdie. Didn't even know it until I uploaded my Game Golf stats.

I made my first dip below 100 on a real course today. I went 47/50 for a 97. It all started off with a putt made from about 40 feet for par on #1.

I ended up with 5 pars, which I think is my most ever. I also only had three 3 putts (and none on the back nine), which has got to be my fewest ever.

I must say, today was a good day.

Played 9 today on a local course, was looking forward to it after posting a 9 hole best of 50 on Fri.
Shot a 56 today, never made solid contact on the ball, except for a couple shots, and 21 putts. 5
holes with 3 putts, one bright spot, chipped in from about 25 ft for a par on one hole.

Got my new irons in, texted my buddy to tell him my swing speed is now 186 mph. He was dubious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back