3 club tourney - what do you take and why?

I'll have plenty of time to do short game work in the morning so I'll likely just see how it feels putting with the Apex hybrid or SW and make a decision off the cuff. Would really like to have the 54* in the bag if possible.
My last question (2 actually).

How often will you miss the green in a manner that you couldn't play a bump-and-run with a hybrid or mid-iron?

How many greens will you putt on?

I think I'd go 3h, 7/8i, Putter. Assuming the 3h is long enough to take care of the forced carry, and playing at 6K, I'd think that was likely. Torn between the 7 and 8, because I feel like if I was stuck in a greenside trap, I'd have more luck opening up the 8 than the 7.

I think there's a ton of strokes to be lost on the greens without a putter, so that's where my concern would be not carrying one.

I'd probably go Driver, 7 iron, and either my sand wedge or lob wedge. And then I'd probably putt with my 7 iron.

I have done this before for 9 holes and went driver, 7 iron and putter. I hoped my driver would get me as close to the green as possible and from there I used my 7 iron to chip/pitch, bump and run, and whatever else I needed. I preferred having my putter with me on the course.

I'd play 3 hybrid, 7 iron and 54* wedge.

Three hybrid would get me down the fairway a good distance. Considering it's only about 6000 yards, so MOST of the Par 4's should be around or under 400 yards. So, with a 3 hybrid netting around 240, that leaves my with my 7 iron into the green. For the shorter par 4's, I can go hybrid, wedge. On the par 5's. Most are probably going to be around 550, more or less. So then I can take my hybrid off the tee, then 2 7 irons to the green.

All the par 3's should be within a 7 iron it sounds like, with the exception of 1.

Putting can be done with the hybrid, or wedge with no problem.

4h
7i
56 wedge

3hybrid, 7i, and 50degree. I can put well with my wedge sometimes much better than a putter.

I am in the same boat as JB on his choices. Depending on how much the forced carry is I would consider the below since its 6000 yds most holes you can get probably get away with not needing a driver and the 5i/hybrid gives a club off the tee and for approach shots

5i/hybrid
PW
Putter

Only a few 3 club tourney threads existed but they were very old so I figured we could use a fresh one.

Playing in a 2 man 3 club tourney tomorrow, can't share clubs. Think it's going to be best ball but not positive. Been thinking a lot about which clubs to use and I've read up quite a bit also.

Some info that may help:

- course will play around 6,000 yards
- par 3's will play 120-180...3 of 4 will be 120-140
- only 1 hole has a forced water carry off the tee, toughest par 4 on the course

My initial thought was 4 hybrid, 8 iron, and putter. But the more I read I see folks going hybrid, mid-iron, and SW while using the hybrid to putt. Honestly wasn't sure how well it would go with hybrid putting hence why I didn't want to lose any strokes on the greens so I would go putter.

What would you do?
We do a 3 club round for our work league, and I took the same clubs but 7 instead of 8 iron. Thought using the putter would help on the greens, but in reality, I could have putted woth a wedge or something. I was never close enough to the hole in regulation to have a good one putt chance.

3h

7i

54*

Ill putt with the hybrid or 54

my college roomates and I always do a Christmas golfing get together.... We had talked about all going to Goodwill before our round and each buying 3 clubs to play with to make it even more unpredictable

tough choice, but I'm thinking:

3w
PW

5 wood, 9 iron, putter. Let others waste a ton of strokes on the green for not carrying a putter.

My last question (2 actually).

How often will you miss the green in a manner that you couldn't play a bump-and-run with a hybrid or mid-iron?

How many greens will you putt on?

1) Less than half the holes have bunkers so not too many...plus I tend to avoid bunkers pretty well
2) Depends how many times I chip in with the 54*

LOL

Point taken...thanks man.

We do a 3 club round for our work league, and I took the same clubs but 7 instead of 8 iron. Thought using the putter would help on the greens, but in reality, I could have putted woth a wedge or something. I was never close enough to the hole in regulation to have a good one putt chance.

Understood on the 1 putts.....but how many 3 putts are coming into play with no putter?

3 wood, 7 iron, putter.

I'd have to say that I'd roll with 3 Wood, 7 iron, and PW. I can't put the ball out there 250 or so and putt with my 3W no problem. I'm comfortable with my 7 iron from 130-180 and my PW can fill in 130-0 no problem. Allows me the widest range of yard coverage.

Only a few 3 club tourney threads existed but they were very old so I figured we could use a fresh one.

Playing in a 2 man 3 club tourney tomorrow, can't share clubs. Think it's going to be best ball but not positive. Been thinking a lot about which clubs to use and I've read up quite a bit also.

Some info that may help:

- course will play around 6,000 yards
- par 3's will play 120-180...3 of 4 will be 120-140
- only 1 hole has a forced water carry off the tee, toughest par 4 on the course

My initial thought was 4 hybrid, 8 iron, and putter. But the more I read I see folks going hybrid, mid-iron, and SW while using the hybrid to putt. Honestly wasn't sure how well it would go with hybrid putting hence why I didn't want to lose any strokes on the greens so I would go putter.

What would you do?

5W, 7I, GW

There is no way I'd use 1/3 of my club choices for a club which can only be used on the green. That is too much of a handicap. Since most greens are 2 putts anyway, I can do that with the 5W (and have done it in a couple of these tournaments). With a few minutes of practicing, I can putt nearly as well with that as I can with my putter. That gives me a club for the tee and a fairway wood and for putting, a mid iron that I can easily play shorter when needed, and my 51° GW, which is my most versatile greenside club.

Last edited:
4H, 7i, and 56* wedge, and put with the wedge and I have much better success putting with my wedge vs my hybrid.

Great stuff gents, appreciate all the feedback. Will do some practice putting in the AM with the hybrid, 8i, and 54* and decide if I'm comfortable enough rolling with one of those versus the putter.

If I bag the putter, it will be 4h, 8i, and putter. If not, it'll be 4h, 8i, and 54*. I'm excited...this will be fun. Still considering the 7i in place of 8i. Unsure at the moment.

Understood on the 1 putts.....but how many 3 putts are coming into play with no putter?

Twice I've played in 4 club tourneys putting with my 5W, and I've putted as well as or better than the guys with whom I was paired using putters. I just spent about 1/2 hour before my tee time on the practice green. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I adjusted my feel to the 5W. I don't remember how many 3 putts I had, but it wasn't a lot or I would remember, even though it's been at least 15 years since I last did it. My memories are of playing well all the way around, but my putting was the star.

Limited club tournaments are a blast. I love the challenge of having to invent shots on the go, and playing shots with clubs for which they might not have been designed.

3w, 7i, 54*. I'd practice the crap out of putting with my 3w leading up to it haha. Basically at that point you can choke down on the 3w and forward press it a ton and it becomes an arm lock putter.

4 wood, 6 hybrid, 50°

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Another reason I started leaning away from putter in favor of a 54* wedge is that I figure I won't hit a ton of greens and therefore being able to take a wedge and try to get it close will be important. Hate the thought of having to do all of the short game work with an 8 iron from a trap or carrying a hazard, etc.
I'd say try putting with the hybrid for sure. Your wedge game is very strong, I could see it saving you a bunch of strokes if you can figure out how to make 6 footers with a hybrid or iron.

My wedge game is not strong but my putting game is where I make up strokes. I'd go hybrid, 7i, putter.

Great stuff gents, appreciate all the feedback. Will do some practice putting in the AM with the hybrid, 8i, and 54* and decide if I'm comfortable enough rolling with one of those versus the putter.

If I bag the putter, it will be 4h, 8i, and putter. If not, it'll be 4h, 8i, and 54*. I'm excited...this will be fun. Still considering the 7i in place of 8i. Unsure at the moment.

From the whites...Because of temperature, each will probably play 1 or 1 1/2 clubs longer.
3 (109) - Wind shouldn't effect that shot. It'll be blocked by the houses/trees.
6 (133) - Wind at your back
11 (144) - Cross wind from the right with water in front
17 (163) - Will be into the wind.

Back