Putter Loft Adjustment

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I just bought a Odyssey #2 RX putter and was putting pretty good with it. Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone, I had the lie and Loft adjusted to 71 & 4* which are numbers from a previous SAM fitting. The club repair guy at the PGATSS told the putter was 69 lie and I don't remember the loft. However, now when I lag putt, I hit ball with the bottom of the putter and not the insert. Has anyone had this happen to them and are there any suggestions on how I should fix mine. Maybe go to a 3* loft?

Last edited:
Same putter length as your SAM fitting?

7 1/4 loft? Never heard of a putterwith that much loft.

I've never been fit for a putter. Is lie adjustment really that big a deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 1/4 loft? Never heard of a putterwith that much loft.

I think he's saying 71 lie and 4 loft (71/4)

Which adjustment did the repair guy make first?

I've never been fit for a putter. Is lie adjustment really that big a deal?

I think a lot depends on the sole. If the sole is flat and the lie angle is off, the heel or toe of the sole could catch the turf and throw the face angle off at impact. If it is a "rocker" sole where the sole toe and heel curve up from the center of the sole, there is some flexibility to the lie angle being slightly off.

I think a lot depends on the sole. If the sole is flat and the lie angle is off, the heel or toe of the sole could catch the turf and throw the face angle off at impact. If it is a "rocker" sole where the sole toe and heel curve up from the center of the sole, there is some flexibility to the lie angle being slightly off.

I play a TM Spider Limited and never had it fitted or adjusted. I don't touch the ground with my putter stroke though.

I play a TM Spider Limited and never had it fitted or adjusted. I don't touch the ground with my putter stroke though.

Lie angle should not be an issue for you then.

Putter Loft Adjustment

Which adjustment did the repair guy make first?

I don't know. All I know is that when I make my stroke, I'm coming up and hitting the bottom edge of the putter. I feel like I almost have to put a forward press on the putter to ensure I hit the insert.

I don't know. All I know is that when I make my stroke, I'm coming up and hitting the bottom edge of the putter. I feel like I almost have to put a forward press on the putter to ensure I hit the insert.

Is it ball position in your stance? Just like any other shot? The bottom of your arc is happening before contact? Causing you to hit up on the ball?

Is it ball position in your stance? Just like any other shot? The bottom of your arc is happening before contact? Causing you to hit up on the ball?

Could be!

Could be!

Whenever I'm chunking shots or topping tee balls it's usually cause I'm hitting up on the ball too much or hitting behind the ball before contact. I wonder if this is the same issue. I was recently playing the ball off my left heel when putting and was pushing everything left. Moved the ball back to center of stance and made a big different for me. Never felt like I was topping the ball on putts tho.

Whenever I'm chunking shots or topping tee balls it's usually cause I'm hitting up on the ball too much or hitting behind the ball before contact. I wonder if this is the same issue. I was recently playing the ball off my left heel when putting and was pushing everything left. Moved the ball back to center of stance and made a big different for me. Never felt like I was topping the ball on putts tho.

Hmmm... I just figured it was the equipment and not me.

Back