Is Sergio Garcia a Hall of Famer?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
At first glance after winning the Masters, some might say yes. Let's take a look at the numbers a bit.

He has 10 PGA Tour wins
13 Euro Tour Wins
Ryder cup he is 17-10-6

In those 10 PGA Tour wins, is also a Masters and a Players.

He meets the minimum necessary with 15 wins and 2 Majors/Players.

Some other things to consider.
He has 4 2nd place finishes in majors and has tied for 3rd or better in each of the 4.

If the measuring stick is Monty, he had 30+ wins on the Euro Tour, despite never winning a major.
Or Fred Couples, who has less wins, but has 5 more on the more difficult PGA Tour and also has a 2nd Players win.

So THPers, taking in all of the data, what say you?

Yes, why not. I bet he pads that resume before he hits 50 too.

His whiny behavior in the past though still rubs me the wrong way.

I think the Masters win cemented his place in the Hall of Fame. More than 20 wins around the world including the Masters and the Players which includes arguably the best field in golf on one of the most difficult courses in golf. Before the Masters I would've been torn but not anymore. He is a hall of famer.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

He meets the minimum, so yes of course he is eligible.

Yeah probably. He's a solid contender. By PGA standards I'd say so, but I don't know that I think he's really a HOFer, but he wouldn't be the first to get in that I'm "meh" about.

For me I say yes. He has been competitive and won enough to be in

• Admin
There has to be some numbers that needs to be filled, I get that, but for me Hall of Famers are a group of individuals who has had an impact. To the people, to the game and the world. Sergio is definitely one of the household names and faces in the game, and I'd put him in the HoF even without the Masters win.

if his career ended right now? Hard decision for me. But I think he will end up with more wins and make it an easier choice by the time he is done.

If he quit right now I'd be on the fence leaning yes. I think the argument for him is stronger than the one against him. I expect to see Sergio win a few more tourneys in the next 5 years and that once everything is said and done he'll be in comfortably.

Eye test says YES to me...

If he stopped playing today... no. I don't put him in. If he keeps playing and contends in a few more majors and gets 1-2 more PGA wins than yes he gets in. He wins a 2nd major and he is for sure in.

Even if he hung it up now, I still think he is.

Ryder cup has to factor in, and he's won 18 points, right?

No, and I would say he's got work to do rather than its close.

Yes, absolutely I think so. And should be IMO.

If he stopped playing today... no. I don't put him in. If he keeps playing and contends in a few more majors and gets 1-2 more PGA wins than yes he gets in. He wins a 2nd major and he is for sure in.

This is where I am. He is close, but at the very bottom of the floor, like Couples, although he had a 2nd Players.
He was never really a dominant force, but that could also be part of the time he played with Tiger and Phil.

I believe he got to 2nd in the world, briefly in 2008 or 2009.

Yes.... The Master win cemented it... It would have been nice to have that putt fall at Carnoustie, to leave no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think based on modern standards he is a Hall of Famer!

I think he should be. 10 wins on the PGA Tour including the Major and The Players Championship plus another 21 international wins. Tom Kite had 10 wins and is in the HOF.

The Masters definitely got him. He's earned it for sure!!

This is where I am. He is close, but at the very bottom of the floor, like Couples, although he had a 2nd Players.
He was never really a dominant force, but that could also be part of the time he played with Tiger and Phil.

I believe he got to 2nd in the world, briefly in 2008 or 2009.

Exactly, he was never #1 and while he has a very good record internationally (both Euro tour and Ryder Cup) to me if he has another couple years of being competitive and gets one more PGA win that probably does it. Close, but enough where I actually have to think about it.

I think masters cemented it, and he deserves it. With his form right the last 2-3 years, I wouldn't be shocked to see him win an Open.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes. In addition to winning the Masters and Players, his Ryder Cup record is stellar. Plus, for someone who never won a major until recently, his record in the majors, as far as top 10s and top5s is quite impressive.

Yes. His career wins plus major equals HOF for me

Personally, I'm not ready to send him in just yet. I think the Masters helps push him towards it, and it will be interesting to see how he performs over the next few years. However I've been soured by some of his actions in the past that I don't think his resume far exceeds those actions. Few more wins or another major and I think it becomes hard to keep him out.

Back