Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took this to the range and will have an update tomorrow. Really interesting club.

What I want to know, is can it possibly challenge my love of the 815.

This sir is something im very curious about as well. The 815 is just so good!

Yes. Maybe not for everybody, but for a large segment.

This excites me, because you and I think very similarly about how good the 815 is.

Looks like a very interesting driver. I can't wait for a review.

Took this to the range and will have an update tomorrow. Really interesting club.

I will definitely be interested in hearing this update.

This unorthodox release has me excited! This is semi-reminiscent of tmag's release of the SLDR, and i remember thinking then that it was a bold move. Certainly that club had it's faults, but it sort of changed what people were looking for (and what the industry produced) as far as weighting and loft.

This is a bold move by Callaway, and i'm hoping they are trying to get ahead of the curve (so to speak) with tech and options, and that this will be another start of exciting progress for the brand (and the consumer)

You play core up though, right? I wonder if that will have the 815 eke out a win for you.

I really can't wait to hear more about this driver. The DBD is cool, but I have no business playing that. This would be the Callaway driver that could potentially unseat the Bertha for me.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Good looking club. Look forward to hearing more about it.

I love my GBB and have not been thinking of any change but this new driver looks so good I might be persuaded. I know I will swing one soon and if it works well for me then I agree with Donne, if they have an upgrade/trade-in promotion I will probably be all over it.

Very interesting, excited to read more as the 815 just performs so well in all regards for me.

Oh boy that baby looks sweet. Can't wait to see and hear more. September 12th should be fun :D

Okay so I wanted to give a brief update on the swings I put on this driver. It's still very early, but so far I think I am liking what I am seeing. I only had 3 drivers with me yesterday, which was a Ping G30, my current gamer the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 and and the Great Big Bertha. I cant get into the tech yet, but it's coming very soon. I like both of these drivers, but preferred the Big Bertha Alpha 815 to the G30 based almost solely on sound/feel.

Before I go on, I should tell you that the 815 was fit for me and the G30 was not. I hit the 815 Alpha about 8 yards further than the G30 with similar numbers. I hit the Great Big Bertha right out of the gate, the same distance I hit the 815. It reminds me of the 815 and the V-Series having a Giant Baby and they name it Great Big Bertha. I got great launch out of the gate using my Project X LZ shaft (non-handcrafted version) and the forgiveness laterally was as good as I have seen to date. Very similar to the previous 2 drivers I was hitting this day.

I have to limit my swings right now due to an injury, but felt pretty good, so took 8 with each of the 1st two and 9 with the Great Big Bertha. Its going to stay in my bag for a bit as I continue to work with it, but so far so good.

Good stuff JB. So is the lateral forgiveness equal to or better than the 815 based on the sampling done so far?

Good stuff JB. So is the lateral forgiveness equal to or better than the 815 based on the sampling done so far?

Hard to say so far. Yesterday I think it was similar to that of the 815. On the FlightScope, I missed two balls towards the toe and the ball speed showed it keeping up with center contract pretty well. Something like 12% loss and these were hit a good inch+ towards the toe.

Good stuff. To say a driver could be better than the 815 is saying something.

I'm interested to see the interplay between the 816 and GBB. I've read that the GBB is set to replace the V-Series. If so, I'm wondering if the 816 DBD will play closer to the 815 than the 815 DBD in terms of forgiveness.

Good stuff. To say a driver could be better than the 815 is saying something.

I'm interested to see the interplay between the 816 and GBB. I've read that the GBB is set to replace the V-Series. If so, I'm wondering if the 816 DBD will play closer to the 815 than the 815 DBD in terms of forgiveness.

Sometimes, what people read before release is not all that accurate...:angel:

Okay so I wanted to give a brief update on the swings I put on this driver. It's still very early, but so far I think I am liking what I am seeing. I only had 3 drivers with me yesterday, which was a Ping G30, my current gamer the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 and and the Great Big Bertha. I cant get into the tech yet, but it's coming very soon. I like both of these drivers, but preferred the Big Bertha Alpha 815 to the G30 based almost solely on sound/feel.

Before I go on, I should tell you that the 815 was fit for me and the G30 was not. I hit the 815 Alpha about 8 yards further than the G30 with similar numbers. I hit the Great Big Bertha right out of the gate, the same distance I hit the 815. It reminds me of the 815 and the V-Series having a Giant Baby and they name it Great Big Bertha. I got great launch out of the gate using my Project X LZ shaft (non-handcrafted version) and the forgiveness laterally was as good as I have seen to date. Very similar to the previous 2 drivers I was hitting this day.

I have to limit my swings right now due to an injury, but felt pretty good, so took 8 with each of the 1st two and 9 with the Great Big Bertha. Its going to stay in my bag for a bit as I continue to work with it, but so far so good.

JB, based on what you've seen, what segment of the population do you think this club wouldn't work well for? I realize that it's very early in your testing and the full information isn't out on these clubs, but I would think that Callaway are going after different types of players with the 2 driver releases.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver

Thanks for the initial thoughts JB. I never hit the VSeries driver, but that was more due to the BBA 815 fitting me so well. Interested to see the comparisons develop down the road

Thanks for the early info on your first swings, JB. All I'm needing is the same forgiveness of the original BB, and adding-in some additional ball speed off the face, keeping spin similar of course. I didn't find the 815 BB to be as forgiving for me as the original, numbers weren't better, for me, either, so I didn't make the switch. I am VERY much looking forward to putting my BB head-to-head with this one on the monitor at Dick's. Keeping the same shaft in each to get a true comparison. Oooo! I can't wait!

JB, based on what you've seen, what segment of the population do you think this club wouldn't work well for? I realize that it's very early in your testing and the full information isn't out on these clubs, but I would think that Callaway are going after different types of players with the 2 driver releases.

Personally, the masses.
However I am privy to all of the information. We said earlier in the thread that options are option on this one for people.

I'm liking the very early feedback. The V series was a launcher and had some incredible forgiveness. Combining it with the 815, which admittedly I've only hit Pete's, sounds like it will be one hell of a club. I'm glad they brought the sliding weight back because I thought that was good, easy to use technology.

BB Alpha 816 DBD...wow. Love to see my numbers with that compared to my current XR gamer. VERY sharp looking!

Sometimes, what people read before release is not all that accurate...:angel:
But... It's on the Internet so it must be true. Counting down the days to the 4th for facts on this one to be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back