Alpha

Reaction score
Handicap
Have a lot of trouble missing left, I know putter finishes more towards left foot. My backswing is a little out or away from me and then I pull it towards lead foot (mostly 5'and in) any good drills?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have a lot of trouble missing left, I know putter finishes more towards left foot. My backswing is a little out or away from me and then I pull it towards lead foot (mostly 5'and in) any good drills?

What putter are you currently gaming?

Edel fit to me, I've tried pulling rt foot back, to sq. Path a little, trying to tap putt helps some. I have practiced with orange sticks on the green also. I wish there was some kind of grip, stance or set up to fix this.

Edel fit to me, I've tried pulling rt foot back, to sq. Path a little, trying to tap putt helps some. I have practiced with orange sticks on the green also. I wish there was some kind of grip, stance or set up to fix this.

There probably is, but to determine what we first have to figure out what's causing your pull. First off, pulling putts can be a path issue or a face issue. It can also be an alignment perception issue where you think you are aligned to the target, but actually are aligned left of target. If you aren't sure which, try this:

Find a flat putt on the practice green of 15-20 feet.

1. Do 15-20 foot putts go straight or curve left?
2. Do 15-20 foot putts start out straight at the hole or left of the hole?
3. On a pull 15-20 foot putt how far left of the hole is the ball when it's hole high? (If the putt stops short of the hole simply project how far based on the path of the ball)
4. And is that distance left of the hole really consistent (say within 2-6 inches) or inconsistent? (as in one time might be 12-inches away, another 24-inches, another 6-inches)
5. Now set ten balls in a circle 4 feet from the hole, putt them all, then repeat 5 times. Of the 50 putts how many did you hole? How many did you perceive you 'pulled'?

It sounds like you use a great deal of arm movement to get the putter back and thru. And this is fine except your path is causing the pulls. So we need to train the arms to flow on a more natural path.

Find a 5-10' putt and find the line of this putt. Once you have the line I'd like you to place several tees in the ground from the strike point of the putt and work your way back. These tees should be placed as wide as your putter. Maybe a 1/4" wider on the toe and heel side. They should stretch back maybe 6" and place them an inch a part. The ball is placed at the front of these tees.

This drill will train you to take the putter straight back and straight through. If you don't, you'll clip one of the tees and will know immediately what you've done wrong.

Have you ever checked your putter grip? I know someone who pulled everything but his grip wasn't installed correctly so he was setting up closed on every putt. He got a new grip installed square and his pulls went away for the most part. Doubt that is it but might not be a bad thing to look at.

Is this a new or long term problem? Have you tried setting up and then putting those 5 footers with your eyes closed? You mention that your path is outside in, is that the same path you have on putts longer than 5 feet? If not, you are probably peeking early to watch the ball go in the hole and opening your stance.

I have found that when I start pulling putts it is because of grip pressure. I putt with a convensional right handed grip so my bottom hand is gripping way to firm when I pull.

Check your grip setup, pressure and install like Smalls suggested and then do Freddie's drill to make sure its not a path problem.

A quick fix to cure my pulls is move the ball slightly further back in my putting stance, seems to work well for me.

I have found that when I start pulling putts it is because of grip pressure. I putt with a convensional right handed grip so my bottom hand is gripping way to firm when I pull.

Check your grip setup, pressure and install like Smalls suggested and then do Freddie's drill to make sure its not a path problem.
Interesting, I do have a lot of grip pressure, I felt that today and have no idea when I started that or why. I putt conventional also, how much pressure do you feel on top hand vs bottom hand? Scale of 1 to 10. Thanks

Interesting, I do have a lot of grip pressure, I felt that today and have no idea when I started that or why. I putt conventional also, how much pressure do you feel on top hand vs bottom hand? Scale of 1 to 10. Thanks

9-1 top to bottom. Bottom hand is just along for the ride and stability. Resist the desire to swing the putter with that hand. Try opening your hand and just placing your palm on the grip and putt some that way. Also I grip my top hand mostly with the pinky and ring finger. Can't get handsy that way.

9-1 top to bottom. Bottom hand is just along for the ride and stability. Resist the desire to swing the putter with that hand. Try opening your hand and just placing your palm on the grip and putt some that way. Also I grip my top hand mostly with the pinky and ring finger. Can't get handsy that way.

In my opinion it also depends on how you swing the putter. If you are shoulder driven, I would say that the pressure should be light and even with both hands. if you are right (bottom) hand driven you need more pressure with right hand, and vise versa if you are left hand dominant.

Back