What would you do?

I think you did what was appropriate. They also know/knew the risk so no issue.

You did the right thing. I can recall hitting two houses, but no windows (knock on wood).

I saw a lawyer post this once:

General rule of thumb:
Golfer liable = intentionally or acted unreasonably in hitting ball toward the house.
Course liable = house built before the course was built.
No liability (owner or owner's insurance pays) = house built after course. Under this scenario the homeowner assumed the risk in buying or building a house on the golf course.

I also believe the golfer's Homeowners Insurance might cover the damages but don't hold me to that. In any event, the OP did all he could do under the circumstances.

That is what I've read. I also understand that many HOA have a policy for covering broken windows on developments built near courses so I hope that is in effect here. Still haven't heard anything and I was definitely not aiming for the house, it was just a pull draw where I have lately (and in warmups) hit a high fade which I wish I would correct. But it did put a damper on my round and my golf buddies, of course, couldn't help but mention it during the round, especially when we had to play the first 9 again because of a scramble that slowed play. I will say, the second time on hole #1 my drive was perfect.

I saw a lawyer post this once:

General rule of thumb:
Golfer liable = intentionally or acted unreasonably in hitting ball toward the house.
Course liable = house built before the course was built.
No liability (owner or owner's insurance pays) = house built after course. Under this scenario the homeowner assumed the risk in buying or building a house on the golf course.

I also believe the golfer's Homeowners Insurance might cover the damages but don't hold me to that. In any event, the OP did all he could do under the circumstances.
Yes the golfers personal liability would cover it whether he has a homeowners or a renters policy. Although his insurance company might argue that the person with the home on a golf course is responsible to pay for the damage.

Breaking a window or causing some other damage to a house has always terrified me. I've hit my share, but never caused damage (that I know of). I'd gladly pay a reasonable yearly premium for golfing specific insurance that would cover any damage I cause on the course.

I think the OP did as much as can be expected. I also agree 100% with JB's explanations of responsibility. IMO it's on the golfer to control your equipment irregardless of anything else.

I gotta believe that the OP hasn't heard anything because this ain't the first time and they have pursued replacement through their normal channels i.e. insurance or HOA.

OP acted appropriately, did what he could, and did what I've done when in that situation myself. A couple months ago a golf buddy got pretty agitated with me because I insisted on going over to a house i hit. I knew i bounced one in hard off the patio in to a 3 sided glass enclave, panels about 12 feet tall. You could hear it hit hard from the tee so I assumed it was bad. Buddy said it was on homeowner and likely shatter proof glass but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't try to accept responsibility. Turns out buddy was right. Homeowner saw me come up to fence (probably assumed I was hopping it to get my ball) and came down to meet me. Told him my shot ricocheted into big window and wanted to be sure I didn't break one and he said no biggie they are shatterproof and it happens all the time. Bonus was he picked up 3 balls from his yard during our brief meeting and gave em all to me. Got my chromesoft back plus a pro-v and a noodle for shag bag.

Edit - for nebgolfer and the guys in his rivercut 4 some last summer. It's the little par 4 you basically drove. #16. I tried to be like you but bowed up and pulled it into a house.

Last edited:
My Father In Law lives on Eagle Ridge in Gilroy. I think he's far enough away from the tee as to be fairly safe, although the odd golf ball does land in the back yard. Ok have to ask him what the deal is. I know the first time I played a course with houses down the fairway (you don't really get them in he U.K.) I was playing a blinding round till I got to the 13th and I carved a ball off into a house (didn't break anything). It freaked me out so much the rest of the round I just collapsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Courses built in the last 20 years with no houses on them are few and far between in the US.

Good on you, OP. That was very kind of you to go to that length.

I personally believe that if a house gets hit with a ball, too bad for the house. If you're at a baseball game and get nailed with a foul ball, is it the batter's fault? No, that's part of the game. If you're at a hockey game and a pass gets deflected into the stands and hits someone, is the hockey player at fault? No, that's part of the game. Hooks and slices are part of the game of golf. They happen to everyone, including the best golfers in the world. To say "You should be in complete control of your equipment or not play a course with houses" is a ridiculous statement. That bars basically every golfer from playing any course with houses because bad shots happen to everyone.

From the legal standpoint, it is true the law varies across the country. A brief search for North Carolina revealed an article in a local paper with a quote from a lawyer saying the homeowner assumed the risk and is liable.

Last edited:
Totally agree you did the right thing herd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My parents live on a golf course. Their house is a nice 180 yard right handed cut from the men's tee boxes. They've had a broken window on numerous occasions. That's why you have home owners insurance.

It's an assumed risk. You shouldn't feel bad and you did the right thing.

Worst thing..... I hit a low shot that went through a chain link fence and out the other side of a chain link fence. When I walked to my ball I walked past the chain link fence and there were children playing in the yard. Don't people know to never have a chain link fence when you live along a golf course and if you do, don't allow your kids to play in the back yard! If that ball had hit one of them in the head it would have killed them. From where I was I couldn't see if it was a backyard or a maintenance area, since maintenance areas on the course with equipment were fenced off like that. If I play that course again and my ball goes over in that position I will pick up and take Par + HC on the hole, walk it out to the center of the fairway and play it for practice.

I live on a golf course and I mad sure to buy a house on a tee box, mine sits right on the tips of the third hole....enough said. I think OP did the right thing. Good for him.

Back