Building a Bag of Old Clubs

PublicGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
8.5 GHIN
If you were asked to assemble a full bag consisting entirely of clubs that are at least 10 years old, what would you pick?

Since I don't like subjecting my primary gamers to the vagaries of travel (see Mat Goggin's recent run-in with United), I want to build a back-up set that I can play well but wouldn't fret about mid-flight. Recently I bought some Ping i5 irons (from 2006) that have proven to be absolute machines for me. I'd rather play those than 95% of the new irons on the market today.

Now I'm pondering fun stuff like V Steel fairway woods and original 2-ball putters.

Which clubs from 2007 or before would you put in your "United Airlines bag"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fun topic. looking at the golf digest hot list for 2007, i'd go:

driver: taylor made r7 super quad
fw: taylor made r7 steel
irons: nike cci forged
wedges: vokey spin milled
putter: scottie studio style newport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done just that. A set of Mizuno MX-23 irons, some older integra so long hybrids, odyssey 2 ball putter. Calloway X hot driver and ping glide 58 degree are only two newer clubs. This is my guest clubs, and making them my travel clubs.

fun topic. looking at the golf digest hot list for 2007, i'd go:

driver: taylor made r7 super quad
fw: taylor made r7 steel
irons: nike cci forged
wedges: vokey spin milled
putter: scottie studio style newport

NICE.

And yeah, the old Hot Lists are my memory-jogger of choice as well. Plus, looking through them is good for at least a laugh or two. So many square drivers!

I have done just that. A set of Mizuno MX-23 irons, some older integra so long hybrids, odyssey 2 ball putter. Calloway X hot driver and ping glide 58 degree are only two newer clubs. This is my guest clubs, and making them my travel clubs.

I dig the idea of "guest clubs."

Driver: TM 360 burner. The only TM club I've hit well
Irons: Tileist DCI
Wedges: titleist Spin milled
Putter: odyssey white hot.

Sans the wedges these clubs are in my closest.

I dig the idea of "guest clubs."

I live on a golf course here in AZ and I get family in town at least 3-4 times a year, not including friends from out of state. That way my kids and friends don't have to worry about clubs....they are a decent set. The mizuno's are nearly perfect on the faces, soles are normal wear. Plus fire away at taking some shots, I'm not going to stress if a club hits a rock, or damaged from normal wear.... or gets damaged during a time when I travel. I payed 90 for heads, and put my old ping CFS shafts on them. I think the entire set ran me under 2 bills, that's including the bag too.

Most of my current bag would qualify for this!

I would not accept this challenge.

What clubs to you have, if you're willing to share? :)

MP32/MX23 irons and a V-steel 5 wood are the ones that would qualify. A12 pro hybrid is currently out of the bag for the MX23 4 iron, but it might qualify too? Putter definitely does, though it was customized more recently than that, haha.

Also, not real old, but the Adams Tight Lies 2 fairways are really cheap and really good.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?92857-smellysell-WITB

MP32/MX23 irons and a V-steel 5 wood are the ones that would qualify. A12 pro hybrid is currently out of the bag for the MX23 4 iron, but it might qualify too? Putter definitely does, though it was customized more recently than that, haha.

Also, not real old, but the Adams Tight Lies 2 fairways are really cheap and really good.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?92857-smellysell-WITB

This is a really well thought out setup. V Steel, Tight Lies, and A12 all serve their purpose more effectively than just about any current club on the market.

This is a really well thought out setup. V Steel, Tight Lies, and A12 all serve their purpose more effectively than just about any current club on the market.

Agreed. Only thing I'm really looking at updating is the irons to some newer Srixons.

If you were asked to assemble a full bag consisting entirely of clubs that are at least 10 years old, what would you pick?

Since I don't like subjecting my primary gamers to the vagaries of travel (see Mat Goggin's recent run-in with United), I want to build a back-up set that I can play well but wouldn't fret about mid-flight. Recently I bought some Ping i5 irons (from 2006) that have proven to be absolute machines for me. I'd rather play those than 95% of the new irons on the market today.

Now I'm pondering fun stuff like V Steel fairway woods and original 2-ball putters.

Which clubs from 2007 or before would you put in your "United Airlines bag"?

Man, the TM V-Steels were MONEY. Just a rock solid FW!

Man, the TM V-Steels were MONEY. Just a rock solid FW!

TEE CB2 fairway would also qualify for this project. Just saying -- that EX10 of yours could be vulnerable!

I would not accept this challenge.

giphy.gif

Back