Relationship W/ Nature Disappearing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Well done ad by Nature Valley

nice video...in most neighborhoods around here i don't see any kids out playing, i don't see any at the basketball courts like we used to do.

Sad, but true.

~Rock

I showed this to my 11 year old son. He's of the same ilk as the kids in the video- always playing games, on an iPad, etc. Sadly, to change things and get him outside to play with friends, we have to wait until evening when we get home from work as not one of his classmates lives within an acceptable bicycle ride-range of our house... Stinks. It hit me when I watched it knowing one of mine does t get outside and adventure. Pretty sad. My son's reaction was, "Yeah, but I can get kidnapped or hurt by someone else if I go off and play somewhere." Well, true, but... I need to get him outside, for sure!!!

What a great video. Kind of makes me reevaluate what we let our kids do on technology.

Very very true......

This is true for adults, too. I used to love to go camping, running around in the woods, playing baseball, etc. Now aside from golf, I don't spend much time outdoors. I haven't been camping since my military days. It's good for the soul.

While our nations population has not even doubled in the time listed in the below linked chart, violent crime has more than quadrupled. It's not the same world that 60+ year old people grew up in. So even if my son didn't have access to electronics, he would not be allowed to roam the neighborhood like I did when I grew up.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

A great production by them, tech can certainly be educational, but keeping your kids grounded with outdoor activities is also important!

Sadly, very true. My kids think I'm lying when I tell them in my teens (mid-late 80's - heyday of basketball IMO! ) we would go the basketball court and literally only come home to eat - and sometimes not even then. Or playing wall ball until it got to dark to see. Getting up early and going fishing, and not coming home until it was too hot for the fish to bite! Man, I just started smiling just reminiscing about those days...

Thanks for posting that JB!

I won't get into a debate, but in my personal opinion the problem isnt the kids. My dad would get us up on weekends to go fishing and hunting. We would play baseball. I would go play golf with my grandfather. Seems like a lot of parents today just want their kids to be quiet and not annoy them so they plop them in front of a device and then do what makes them happy.

I won't get into a debate, but in my personal opinion the problem isnt the kids. My dad would get us up on weekends to go fishing and hunting. We would play baseball. I would go play golf with my grandfather. Seems like a lot of parents today just want their kids to be quiet and not annoy them so they plop them in front of a device and then do what makes them happy.
No doubt. My dad forced me outside when I was little. I appreciate it now but at the time I could of swore he was up to something inside lol!

This is exactly the problem, and I'm guilty of it myself. Also, electronics aren't just just a problem for kids but for adults too.

Wow, hits close to home for me

It's a sad commentary on how we live nowadays. I still consider myself young (27) and one of my favorite things growing up was going up to our cabin and being in the middle of the woods. To see so many children thinking the most fun is an ipad or video game is just sad.

There's a lot of truth to this.

I think the convenience of technology has made us a more sedentary generation, and that's sad.

Plus, I wish those kids would get off of my lawn.

So true

By the time I was 8 I knew how to navigate, build a fire, build a shelter etc. I would pack a lunch and disappear into the woods (national forest) for the day. The only rule was that I had to be home before the porch light went on. That was 45 years ago. Today if you leave the main trail while hiking you will probably be shot by a grower protecting his pot field. I'm sure there were perverts that preyed on children all through the ages. However, it seems to have gotten out of hand lately (8 year old's body was found in a dumpster Monday 15 year old arrested).

Technology can really open the world for kids and adults alike. You can explore the ocean depths and see/learn about the Great Wall all before lunch. However, unless you aspire to go be a drone pilot, living in your parent's basement playing video games all day probably isn't your best use of time.

I'm sure there were perverts that preyed on children all through the ages. However, it seems to have gotten out of hand lately (8 year old's body was found in a dumpster Monday 15 year old arrested).

This is always the discussion point, but all factors show violent crime, including crimes against children are at their lowest point in decades.

What changed was how easy we have access to information. That and the news stopped reporting and started sensationalizing in an attempt to compete against other forms of entertainment.

I showed this to my 11 year old son. He's of the same ilk as the kids in the video- always playing games, on an iPad, etc. Sadly, to change things and get him outside to play with friends, we have to wait until evening when we get home from work as not one of his classmates lives within an acceptable bicycle ride-range of our house... Stinks. It hit me when I watched it knowing one of mine does t get outside and adventure. Pretty sad. My son's reaction was, "Yeah, but I can get kidnapped or hurt by someone else if I go off and play somewhere." Well, true, but... I need to get him outside, for sure!!!

the vast majority of kidnappings are in custody/divorce situations. your child has a much better chance of dying in an airplane crash or being struck by lightning than being taken by a complete stranger. obviously, it does happen (and people do get struck by lightning) but the media has hyped this so that we have altered our lives (and our kid's lives) dramatically and needlessly. just food for thought.

Wow, hits close to home for me

As I watch this with my son in the other room playing a video game. I let it slide maybe more than I should in the winter up here but the video certainly hit a little too close to home for me as well.

We rarely watched TV growing up and NFL football games were listened to on the radio while we were outside. Friends in college would talk about TV shows I never watched because we were constantly outside.

It scares me to think what young adults will do today if we lost electricity for a long period of time.

As I watch this with my son in the other room playing a video game. I let it slide maybe more than I should in the winter up here but the video certainly hit a little too close to home for me as well.
When i was little and growing up in WNY the winters were crazy and it would be easy to hunker down so i can understand that. My dad got me into skiing and skating so i quickly stopped hating the winter and always wanted to go out and get some laps in or play hockey. Its definitely easy to hate the cold if one doesn't have a winter hobby but if you can get them interested in some kind of snow sport, you won't be able to keep them from wanting out haha.

When i was little and growing up in WNY the winters were crazy and it would be easy to hunker down so i can understand that. My dad got me into skiing and skating so i quickly stopped hating the winter and always wanted to go out and get some laps in or play hockey. Its definitely easy to hate the cold if one doesn't have a winter hobby but if you can get them interested in some kind of snow sport, you won't be able to keep them from wanting out haha.

For sure. My son will start hockey this fall and for the most part I think we do a decent job of getting them bundled up and outside. School is pretty good about getting them outside in the winter as well. It is a tough balance for parents as is just isn't as safe as it once was to let your kids just go out and play. We are very lucky to have a neighborhood like that now and it is one of the big things we look at when talking about moving somewhere else. The ad just makes you stop and think as a parent. I do feel bad for some of those kids in the video.

Back