Soft stepping iron shafts question.

lopsta5

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi to all you shaft gurus,

I just have a question, could soft stepped shafts hinder a person?

Im just asking because when i built my irons they got soft stepped once and im just wondering if that could help me with pulling and hooking the ball sometimes? Maybe the tip is softer or something, i cant really explain it. I just feel sometimes when i have a good swing and put a bit on it they seam to go left.

Any thoughts would be appreciated thanks.

Simple answer? No.

Softstepping doesnt necessarily make the tip softer and a softer tip doesnt lead to shots going left.

What is the weight of the current shaft vs your former shaft?

Soft stepping weakened the flex by 1/3 of a flex .

Simple answer? No.

Softstepping doesnt necessarily make the tip softer and a softer tip doesnt lead to shots going left.

What is the weight of the current shaft vs your former shaft?

I have DGPro's not sure of weight and had no clue what my old Ci11's were either, ive only just started learning about weights.

Fup is correct, short answer is no. Hard/Soft stepping is done more to dial in a set of irons. If you are pulling or hooking them it won't matter if they were installed straight in or stepped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Does weight make a difference much?

Some iron shafts are lighter in long irons and get heavier by a couple grams as you descend to the pw I highly doubt you notice a difference. Example 5i shaft is 110 and 6i is 113 putting that 5 into a 6 you won't be able to tell its 3grm lighter

amirite that stepping is done to manage ball flight, specifically increase or decrease trajectory and max height?

Stepping is usually done to manage flight & spin when someone is in between flexes.

Example a s300 in stiff is a bit too much but a regular isn't enough to keep the numbers just right. So you can hard step the regular by putting the next higher lofted club shaft into the proceeding club head(ex. 9i into 8i) or soft step the stiff
by doing the opposite (ex. 8i into 9i). I believe this be right.

Hard stepping stiffens the "club" causing lower la and spin while soft weakens it causing higher la and spin.

You can also tip the softer shaft by cutting off 1/4 to 1/2 inch to stiffen it and bring those numbers down.

Weight makes a huge difference in terms of tempo and feel.

Back