Bug Spray/Insect Repellent?

GolfSwag

Reaction score
Handicap
So I was playing in a scramble yesterday and it seemed like every gnat known to man was feasting on me. I have bug spray with a high deet concentration, but these little bastards seem to be attracted to it. I also have to apply sunscreen because I burn really easily. So I am shopping around for something that will combat this little %*(%$#ers. For me gnats can totally destroy a round of golf. We got through like 6 or 7 holes and my game was spot on, and then the gnats took over and I start playing like crap.

I've looked on the internet and found No Natz and Gneau More Gneauty Gnatz as some options. But I thought I'd ask here if anyone uses something they swear by, either the combo product that is sunscreen and repellent, or just the repellent that you can't live without.

All input would be greatly appreciated.

Someone mentioned Absorbine Junior on this site last year. I've used it a few times and didn't seem to have much bug issues.

Because of a similar thread here last year I'm using Banana Boat SPF50 in a spray. It's a sun screen and a very effective repellent. I understand it is not marketed as a repellent but it works as one. I'll also mention that I'm the kind of person that mosquitos hunt and this stuff works for me. Unfortunately it's not cheap, almost $9 a can.

Someone mentioned Absorbine Junior on this site last year. I've used it a few times and didn't seem to have much bug issues.

THIS!!! Gnats are nasty around here and whenever I put it on they leave me alone. You smell like an old man but it's a small price to pay.

LOL, I can rub it on my right elbow, since it hurts like hell. I'll kill two birds with one stone.

Bug Spray/Insect Repellent?

3f6f468595c88b69a3065e4a5800e447.jpg

All natural and works amazingly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonatz.com

402839c5ae35a693af75b6e137b7b149.jpg

We use these and they work well

Clear vanilla extract. Make sure it is the clear variety. Just dab, or spray if you put it in a spray bottle, all around your face, neck, ears. Smells nice and the gnats stay away.

absorbine Jr is the best thing I've ever found, out golf courses are all by rivers, and the Knats and skeeters are nasty, its the only thing that works. Unless you use a thermacell, but those don't work great for golf

3f6f468595c88b69a3065e4a5800e447.jpg

All natural and works amazingly well.

I was at a golf resort this weekend and the Gnats were crazy, they sold this in the Pro Shop and it works.
Spray on yourself and on the band of your hat - Keeps them away.

Last edited:
My oldest boy gets ate alive by no-see-ums. Each bite he gets he breaks out like most people would from a bee sting. There literally won’t be another person in hundreds that have any trouble with them and he’ll just be one solid bump when we get home from a baseball game, golf round, etc. I’ll have to try some of these things on him.

The Absorbine Jr works great, the other would be find an Avon dealer and get some Skin So Soft, it works amazing. It can also be found on Amazon.

I always carry a can of OFF in my golf bag.

funny this thread poped up. Abougt a couple weeks back was playing (swampland course) and on hole 4 (tee to green) along side the woods we all (4 of us) had these gnat like bugs (but not gnats) literally covering us from head to toe. I mean in the ears, nose, all over our backs . legs arms . It was the worst infestation I ever experienced anywhere any time. We barely manged to play the hole and just got the heck outta there. We had different bug sprays and nothing worked. I don't mind some bugs sometimes but this was a whole different world of bug issues. They wouldn't at all fly away with motions by waving them off. You had physically hit these things off of you. Problem is there were hundreds at a time.

At first I thought it was mostly just me and joked perhaps they like Italian food..lol but they were all over all of us. One among the group was a woman and she almost went home right then and there. It lessened up on 5 but then as we came back to the 6th green (nearby) it got somewhat bad again. That was all but I have to say was the worst bug situation I ever been involved with in 54 years of being many places.

Thanks for the timely thread. gnats are starting to get out of hand on my course. If it also helps with flies then it's a big time bonus!

Back