Danny Willett's Caddy Fired ... by Himself?!

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
http://nypost.com/2017/05/09/masters-champ-now-sucks-so-much-that-caddie-fired-himself/

Danny Willett’s has been fired by his caddie, Jonathan Smart. He walked out on Willett after a blazing tournament fight.
Willett accused Smart of giving him a bad yardage at the RBC Heritage event in South Carolina last month, the week after he missed the cut trying to defend his Masters title.
Smart responded by saying he was fed up with being a constant scapegoat when things went wrong on the course.
He packed his bags after the first round of the Heritage and flew home to England, forcing Willett to turn to a member of his management team to caddie.

See even the caddies get fed up sometimes when the player tries to put blame on someone or something other than themselves for their bad play.

i'm sorry, but i think that's a huge part of what caddie's are there to do: take the blame. no, it's not appropriate to berate and belittle your caddie. but guys need to vent when they hit a bad shot so they can get it out and move onto the next shot. and guys can't ever second-guess themselves, or they run the risk of losing confidence and losing their ability to put food on the table. how many times have you seen a guy on tour put a horrible stroke on a putt, then point at something on the green as if that little imperfection knocked the ball offline? they have to convince themselves that they aren't the cause of the miss. so a caddie is another scapegoat.

I would have fired Danny Willett also!

If Ted Scott can maintain his composure, this guy might just be a pansy.

I mean, he has a green jacket and all, but Danny Willet is kind of a turd.

Seems like a Smart move! (see what I did there?)

I mean, he has a green jacket and all, but Danny Willet is kind of a turd.

How great would it be if Danny's brother took up the bag? At some tournaments he might not make it out alive...

How great would it be if Danny's brother took up the bag? At some tournaments he might not make it out alive...
I have a feeling Danny Willett's brother is more enjoyable to be around than Danny.

Last edited:
i'm sorry, but i think that's a huge part of what caddie's are there to do: take the blame. no, it's not appropriate to berate and belittle your caddie. but guys need to vent when they hit a bad shot so they can get it out and move onto the next shot. and guys can't ever second-guess themselves, or they run the risk of losing confidence and losing their ability to put food on the table. how many times have you seen a guy on tour put a horrible stroke on a putt, then point at something on the green as if that little imperfection knocked the ball offline? they have to convince themselves that they aren't the cause of the miss. so a caddie is another scapegoat.
So the player can never take the blame? He always has to put the blame or vent against someone or something else?
Caddies are not there to take the blame they are there to help and reassure him. If he thought it was a bad yardage to begin with, he should've changed his mind. He's the one hitting the shot not the caddie. Caddie gives him the yardage then he confirms or denies it ... then execute.
They should not be there to take the blame if they execute the shot poorly. He hasn't won anything since the Masters so the caddie saw the writing on the wall anyway. I say good for him

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Willett is as a tool - caddie needs to be tougher - unless this is a culmination of sustained abuse (a la Ted Scott) - wonder how this would hurt his employment prospects.

Flash in the pan winner for the Masters. Would not be surprised if he never won another PGA tour event. Do not like the guy..

Flash in the pan winner for the Masters. Would not be surprised if he never won another PGA tour event. Do not like the guy..

I'm a firm believer that Spieth lost it as opposed to him winning it

This is all true. But I think its also true that at some point, after prolonged problems perhaps, a player needs to take a long look in the mirror and realize he's got stuff that he's got to fix. If they reached that point I don't blame the caddie for saying "enough"

I am sure there is more to the story. You would think he would finish out the tournament and made sure Danny was set for the next one being there is only so many caddie gigs.

he's going to meet up with lydia ko

Caddies are there to take the abuse even if their pro sucks.

Good for him to stand up for himself

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I don't agree with the berating the Caddie. It is supposed to be a team, not a boxer and a punching bag

So the player can never take the blame? He always has to put the blame or vent against someone or something else?
Caddies are not there to take the blame they are there to help and reassure him. If he thought it was a bad yardage to begin with, he should've changed his mind. He's the one hitting the shot not the caddie. Caddie gives him the yardage then he confirms or denies it ... then execute.
They should not be there to take the blame if they execute the shot poorly. He hasn't won anything since the Masters so the caddie saw the writing on the wall anyway. I say good for him

100% yes, the caddie not only carries the bag, gives yardage, offers advise but also gets blamed for bad yardages. Right or wrong, this is what the role is and a good caddie knows how to deal with their man or woman. Danny has sucked since winning the Masters but it would have turned around sooner or later. Now this caddie, has the rep that when the going get tough, he gets going.

100% yes, the caddie not only carries the bag, gives yardage, offers advise but also gets blamed for bad yardages. Right or wrong, this is what the role is and a good caddie knows how to deal with their man or woman. Danny has sucked since winning the Masters but it would have turned around sooner or later. Now this caddie, has the rep that when the going get tough, he gets going.

Unless Willet is is known as an insufferable twat amongst the players. Then it might be a reason to hire him.

this is said so much better than i could have said it. i'm not big fan of michael collins' shtick, but he talks about this kind of thing all the time. a caddie is there for his man's psyche almost as much if not more than he's there to provide yardages and clean clubs. if that means he has to take the blame, take the d@mn blame. but as someone else in this thread mentioned, there has to be more to it than this or a history of inappropriate abuse for it to get to this point and in the middle of an event no less.

Unless Willet is is known as an insufferable twat amongst the players. Then it might be a reason to hire him.

Well I noticed that it took a full year of playing poorly for this happen. And I'm sure the caddie was blamed for other things prior to the masters win. So maybe this past year was tough on the old gal she left her man.

Danny Willet going down the same road as Shaun Micheel. Win a major and never win again.

I would have turned to him and said "I gave you the correct yardage, it's your dumb a** that hit it the Incorrect yardage."
Handed him the bag ... Peace!

Grayson Murray fired his caddie on Sunday half way thru his round. This dude is nuts.

And let's not forget Robert Allenby blow up at the Canadian open in 2015.

Back