Play This Shot - 8/12

I'm pulling a PW which is about 1/2 club less here as I have a feeling it'll be a flier from that lie. Aim about 25 feet left of the pin.....PW will keep me from going long, worse case scenario I'm just on the front middle of the green. 2 putt and get outta dodge.

I am grabbing PW and aiming at the right side of the bunker. All that I am telling myself the entire time is STAY DOWN!

I'd hit at the bunker with an 8 iron. I'd then end up in the bunker, because about the only time I hit the ball where I aim is when I'm aiming somewhere I don't actually want to be.

PW for me here. Aim center of the bunker and hope that baby cuts. Little roll out on the green, hope for near center or back after release.

Though, I'd like to think I could pull off a low, running 6i up and onto the green.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

That rough looks thick, so I expect the hosel to catch and send the ball left. I would grab an 8 iron, open the face a bit and try to run a knockdown shot up on the front of the green. I'm thinking get it close as possible while taking as much trouble out of play as possible

One of the only times I would be happy to be left. Choke down a little bit and aim left of the green and put a good 7 iron on it.

The big question here is, Dan...did you birdie it?

9iron, stand a little closer than normal to the ball to allow for the downhill lie.
Aim a little left of the flag and hit the little fade to the hole.

I am playing whatever gets me to the back of the green. Likely 9 iron, flyer lie, my line is right edge of the left bunker. If I can see it. Otherwise, 15 yds left of the pin.

3/4 swing punch with an 8 iron at the left hand side of the green for me. Followed by a gap wedge from the fairway where i would inevitably end up after duffing the first attempt.

Play This Shot - 8/12

PW or gap wedge taking it off the right edge of the bunker. A bit more knee bend and stay down and through.

9i choked a little and 3/4 swing aim at left 1/3 of green. I expect the ball to turn right and if it doesn't I should be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a similar shot yesterday. Took 3/4 9 and was playing to left edge of green and allowing for a little movement right from lie. Didn't account for possible heal grab and it did. Pulled left of green but still had a shot. Didn't convert and bogey.

PW at front left of green. And flier lie will take it to middle of green if it happens.

Playing a punch 7 and aiming at the bunker hoping the lie will bring it back to the green. If not I am in the bunker or short neither of which is an awful outcome.

Im hitting 6i lined up leftof green knowing with the ball below my feet Ill either thin it real bad or push right with good contact.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

For me I'd club up, squat down a little for better stability and aim a bit left. As long as I get decent contact the worst that can happen is I go in the bunker or fly it/land on the back part of the green.

I'm hitting a punch 7i and hope to roll it up there close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8i probably, could vary depending on wind, and the lie. I'm aiming left, toward that bunker. Below the feet is likely to produce a fade. If I come up short I'm in the wider part of the fairway there. Got to figure short is the more likely result and I'd be ok with that and then hope for an up and down.

Brutal lie here. Ball way below the feet. Pin is about 140 away. Bunker left and red stake hazard left. Can make decent contact on the ball but no guarantees.

Other notes: There is a decent amount of room in front of the hole, with a slope about midway through the green that filters right. Greens are firm and rolling at about an 11.

ada73f9c2dde40afda63c51c742450de.jpg

Some added info. Pin is basically where the white blob is on the green here. Also note the front of the green is the smallest area to land the ball.

c4ec6dc050ab0ab57f8b8fc4c128a3d0.jpg

Aw, this is easy. I'd pull hook the shot up left where the cart path does that Y, leaving myself a sh*tty downhill lie in the tall rough for a pitch onto the green. I'd leave that short for a chip onto the green which would go about 20 feet beyond the hole for a three putt. Triple bogey! :banghead:

Yeah 9 iron, maybe even an 8 because there is plenty of room to work with. Going to be a natural fade here without much work to account for.

For me, this would be a 5h which I would choke all the way down to the shaft. I would aim left side of green, then hit a punch shot because balance might be difficult for a full swing in this stance. There also seems to be more room on the left to work with in case things don't turn out as expected.

Wow, what I tough shorter scenario Canadan put us in here.

140 is my 9i. That rough looks thick and plush even though ball not totally buried so I'm at first thinking an extra club but also thinking a flyer is possible here as well in which case less club is then needed. A significantly downhill (for a righty) way below the feet lie combined with the plush rough and partial burry is all very unpredictable and must be hit to a fairly slim green and not much room at all for dispersion or slightly errant shot not to mention green is not slow.

In one sense I feel if I want to think I am decent enough at golf then I should be able to make most shots from 140 and than deserve to live with the consequences of failing if I don't pull it off. But this is no normal 140 scenario at all and there is a lot going on with this shot. Not at all easy to predict. Not to mention making good contact in the first place which in itself from this significantly downhill lie is no guarantee to begin with. Then all the other factors mentioned above make this not in any way at all an easy thing from 140. At best its unpredictable imo.

I might consider trying to punch one over the next ridge and then hopefully bounce and run near up to the apron or even on. Almost play this like I would a recovery shot out from under tree branches. I figure at worst I'm closer and in the fairway and on level ground, while at best I'm on the front or chipping/pitching from very close to the front.

But then there is that voice that again says I should make a 140 shot decent enough regardless of all the less than desirable factors.

So I have to be honest here. For this shot I am crossed between my usual "play it safer/smarter" mindset vs my desire to make the shot for what it is because its what I'm suppose to be able to do from that distance.

I may just stand there and stare at it for 17 minutes like Jason-all-Day and cause pace delays as a decide what to do :)
But really, this is a good one, tough one, hmmmmm

Too much trouble for my meager skills. I'm aiming for the fairway in front of the green and trying for an up-and-down.

Either PW or 9i aimed at the left edge of the green with the idea of the ball moving a little left to right.

Back