It was bound to happen eventually...

Spivey

Reaction score
Handicap
7.6 GHIN
I was playing at my club last week, where I usually find a few balls every round. It is a desert course, so there are all kinds of balls (and snakes) to find laying around.
Recently, I have been losing all kinds of balls - I probably lost 24 balls in the last 2-3 weeks alone.
So, I played Thursday. Found 7 balls, lost 5.
I brought home the found balls, cleaned them up, and what do you know, I found one of the balls with my "incognito" mark on it!
So, I found one of my lost balls!! Happy day!

Ha! I keep waiting for this to happen to me. So far no luck finding one of my old balls.

Spivey...
I thought this story was going to end with a snake bite.

If you live in the desert, I'm sure you know to be careful...but looking for balls just seems like it's not worth it, no???

It's happened to me. I play Srixon yellow with a distinct mark and have come across a few from earlier rounds. It's like winning the lotto.

Spivey...
I thought this story was going to end with a snake bite.

If you live in the desert, I'm sure you know to be careful...but looking for balls just seems like it's not worth it, no???
I have seen two snakes in my 6 years in the desert. One was a big bull snake, crossing the cart path. Not poisonous. Scared me more than I scared it.
One was on the fairway, western diamondback, just a few weeks ago. It kept to itself, I did the same.
I make sure to bring a desert club, smack the ground as I walk, and keep my ears open.

Pretty cool...Almost as good as finding a $5 bill in the pocket of a pair of shorts you haven't worn in a long time.

This happens to me somewhat often. When I play alone, I'll loose sight of two or three balls per round. Sometimes I'll come back the next day/week and find one - typically at the base of a tree. Found one in the middle of the fairway once in a little "dip" of the turf where the grass was left to grow to rough length. It was just a few feet from my ball in play!

I found one of my lost balls in the middle of the fairway once. I actually thought it was my drive on that hole until my opponent (match play) came running up and said it was his ball. I told him, "no it's mine. See it has my markings". He said no, mine was a few yards further down the fairway, and sure enough it was. The dude had found one of my lost balls from an earlier round and was playing it. When we realized what was happening, he didn't even take the ball out of play. I had to switch to a different brand ball to avoid ending up in the same situation again. He obviously really liked my B330-S.

Ive hit a number of pushes on the 18th hole at my home course to the right. Most of the time when I find a ball there it is a prov1. I play a lot of duos and e6s and when there is a group on the green sometimes I will peruse the area. I have found one of my lost balls a number of times. Its one of two holes that I may or may not lose a ball on when playing poorly.

I have seen two snakes in my 6 years in the desert. One was a big bull snake, crossing the cart path. Not poisonous. Scared me more than I scared it.
One was on the fairway, western diamondback, just a few weeks ago. It kept to itself, I did the same.
I make sure to bring a desert club, smack the ground as I walk, and keep my ears open.

Desert club???

I lost one of mine on #3 yesterday after I lost sight of it through a tree and found it on #7 when we were looking for somebody else's tee shot.

One that you don't mind incurring a little damage from hitting off dirt, sand, rocks, etc.
Yeah, this.
If you saw it, you would probably think I should throw it away. My 56* is beat up so bad, it has no right being in my bag. Lots of local courses allow a desert club.

Yeah, this.
If you saw it, you would probably think I should throw it away.

Just like I don't play GIR+2 putt par golf...if it works, it doesn't matter what it looks like.

Desert club???

I carry one too...mine is an old 7 iron. With desert golf there are a lot of arroyos on the course, you don't want to hit your nice irons or hybrids out of it with all the rocks and sand. Oh and it's used to fend off snakes too.

Pretty cool...Almost as good as finding a $5 bill in the pocket of a pair of shorts you haven't worn in a long time.

I found a $10 in a pair of new pants once. They had the tags on them still. Even if they were worn once (or twice) the $10's made up for it.

I've never found one of mine, but I have had others find not only mine, but Jacqui's as well.

Last year in Men's League we were on the green on a par 4 and a ball comes up to the fringe. We knew the group behind, so I went to put it on a tee, and it was actually one of the guys in my groups ball. We knew because it was a ProV with "Hotel 69" printed on it.

I seriously don't get why you loose so many balls. You played well when you were here in Illinois last year! Hit em straight sir! :) Glad you found your lost ball!

Back